What colour DOBOK?

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
What colour dobok does everyone use

Should they be plain white? or can they be blue's black's anything does it matter to you?

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've worn the old heavy Doboks and the light weight cotton ones right now I wear a Competition "apron" type dobok (I really don't care for it). I have them in white, black, and black & white. I've seen quite avariety of doboks in classes, but my prefferance is the heavy black bottoms with the hearier white top.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
White, with black trim (legs) for IV and up, and black trim (arms) for completing in international instructors course.

OP
chrismay101

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
All the instructors Ive know always use white with black trim as above arms and legs IV above and just bottom of top for low dan grades.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My school as with most I've seen or attended only allow white or white w/black trim for BB's

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
White with Black trim, but for gren belts and above they may wear color uniforms only to workout in, any type of seminar or test purely white.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tradiotional here, but I used to like wearing black pants on the open circuit. Just kinda looked sexah ;)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the US Chung Do Kwan Association, we wear a white v-neck dodok with black color for BB's. (All white for gup ranks). BB instructors can wear black pants. There are variations if one is a school owner, &/or at master rank. Like the ITF-style schools, each modification has a meaning to it.

I go back & forth between very traditional (white v-neck dobok with black collar) to things like an all black v-neck dobok. Depending on my mood. If it's an official USCDKA event, see the 1st paragraph, above.:ultracool

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
All white for the gup ranks, all white with the black piping for the dan ranks.

Now in judo I had the reversible blue/white dobok. Necessary evil for tournament.

I have no problem with the red, blue, black dobok. Whatever......as long as it is consistent with the rest of the group.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We wear all white for gup ranks, BB can wear black trimmed v-neck, at 2nd or 3rd dan BB can wear black pants as well. At 4th Dan my instructor said I can wear whatever color I want. I can't wait to show up in my new tie-dye uniform!! (It's an ongoing joke between us). As for the color uniforms, I don't have anything against them really, I would just never wear one. I think they look goofy, just my opinion.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Our organizations sanctions only the traditional white or black v-neck dobok. I dislike intensely students and black belts who wear non-white uniforms, especially colored uniforms. I never understood the logic if there is any. In fact, if you come to class wearing a non standard uniform (black, black/white, colored), you would most likely get sent home.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
My school as with most I've seen or attended only allow white or white w/black trim for BB's

That's how we do things, too.

While I'm eligible for black trim, it is expensive to trim out a judo top so I generally wear just plain white.

I'll probably get around to trimming one out for tournaments and sitting on testing panels eventually.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
we always wear plain white... but iv seen other colors and dont think they are bad or anything

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In the US Chung Do Kwan Association, we wear a white v-neck dodok with black color for BB's. (All white for gup ranks). BB instructors can wear black pants.

Our practice is also all white for gup ranks and white top
with black collar for for BBs. But we reserve black pants
for 4th Dan and above ("masters" by our criteria).
"Instructor" is indicated by a shoulder patch.

I have heard that we also reserve black tops (possibly with
gold-striped cuffs?) for 8th Dan and above ("grandmasters"
by our criteria), but I'm not sure whether that is really
a rule or just speculation.

Dan

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our organizations sanctions only the traditional white or black v-neck dobok. I dislike intensely students and black belts who wear non-white uniforms, especially colored uniforms. I never understood the logic if there is any. In fact, if you come to class wearing a non standard uniform (black, black/white, colored), you would most likely get sent home.

Why? The standard in my class is white, but I would rather have students show up in the wrong uniform, or in street clothes because they forgot their uniform, than not show up at all. If it becomes a habit, then certainly, I'll do more - and only one of my students owns a dobok that's not white, but I don't care what they work out in so much, as what they wear to events.

The purpose of dressing alike, IMHO, is to aid in the mindset of class - you are in the dojang, a place apart from the day, and I want my students to concentrate on that. All wearing the same general clothing helps in that concentation - but I'm not going to keep people from working out because they forgot their clothes or mistakenly brought the wrong ones. I will talk to them about it - but I have one student who moved here from England, and all of his stuff but one black dobok was caught in customs for 3 months - including most of his other clothes, his dishes, his furniture, etc... should I have made his life harder by insisting he buy a new, white dobok (when he had 3 in his luggage, in customs) just because the one he happened to have with him was black? I realize that's an extreme case - but life happens. Rules are great, but so is knowing when to bend or break them.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like the traditional color of undergarments, we wear white dobok. 4th Dan and up may add the frilly black piping.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
For training, you can wear whatever color you want, but you must wear the plain white for testing.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My school is evidently very laid back in this regard. No one wears a dobok, with everyone wearing traditional gi uniforms. Most of the 2nd Dans and above just wear sweat pants, a T-shirt with the school emblem and their belts. The students all wear white gis, the BBs who wear Gis wear a mixture of black and white. The only time I've ever seen anyone wear a pull over V neck dobok was during a test, when some of the instructors wear them (to lend gravity to the day, maybe?). I'd rather wear a gi given the choice, which I am, so I'm happy to leave my single dobok at home in my closet. I like the traditional Japanese gis a lot.

jim

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We've had visitors come to class wearing non-white uniforms. They wear their uniform knowing it's a one time deal. However, if they intend to stay, they must wear the same uniform as everyone else. If that's all they have, they may practice in workout clothes until they buy a regulation uniform. To paraphrase Rudy Giuliani, if you let them slide on the uniform, you'll let them slide everywhere else.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Were allowed a small amount of lessons with training pants at the begining, although I used my old Aikido uniform for 4 lessons. After that it's strictly white club dobuks only. Although if you have a good excuse, training pants and t-shirts are forgiven as long as you wear your belt. Excuses are things like "I only have one and it's in the wash for the grading", or "my pants tore and I'm waiting for my order".

Colour belts are white GTUK dobuks only, black piping round the bottom of the top for BB's, black piping down the sleeves and trouser legs for International Instructors.

Latest Discussions