What colour DOBOK?

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In Richard Chun's book "Tae Kwon Do-The Korean Martial Art", states that all members of the KTA wear white uniforms signifying purity. Moo Duk Kwan members wear black trim to signify dignity. Not black pants or a black uniform. That pretty much sums it up. Traditional TKD students wear white uniforms to signify a pure mind and pure action. WTF/Kukkiwon students wear a black v-neck to signify the Dan rank. However, there is no difference between the the dobok a junior Dan student and a senior Instructor wears. No special uniforms or colors. And my Instructor wears a white v-neck on the odd occasion when he suits up, and he's 9th Dan.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the uniform was already white and the assignment of purity to that white came later. My 'undergarment' statement earlier was only partly in jest. So as to not soil the more delicate color silk overgarments which were more difficult to maintain, martial arts practioners would strip down to their white undergarments to train. This dress then became the uniform and then meaning was assigned to that uniform.

But this thread is specific to TKD and it would be easy to say this does not apply to Taekwondo as the undergarment story pre-dates TKD.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The TKD school I used to attend used white. I hate white uniforms. They just get too dirty too easy. I much prefer my black uniforms, I'm not afraid to lean against a wall and get dirt on them.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But I could point to various spots on my old white uniforms and tell you how I got each one. On white uniforms, bloodstains and smudges are like medals of honor.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It actually may be time for me to look into a new uniform, since my current one is getting yellowish to the point where bleach no longer works. Ah, the feel of a brand new white uniform unsullied by hard practice. Then, of course, I have to break it in.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The TKD school I used to attend used white. I hate white uniforms. They just get too dirty too easy. I much prefer my black uniforms, I'm not afraid to lean against a wall and get dirt on them.

I do like black for the same reason. Plus, black just has a certain air to it.:ultracool

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
As I practice 3 styles, Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwon DO and Karate Do, I only wear 2 uniforms. I use a traditional white karate uniform (mine is made by Mitsuboshi, expensive, but has lasted for 6 years now), and I use a black judo gi that my teacher gave to me that is fashioned after his 35 year old gi from his days training with Yoon, Kwai Byung's successor(One of Ji Do Kwan's 2 founders [the one who didn't join tae kwon do]). My teacher, although from Moo Duk Kwan, is a member of GM Yoon's Korea Karate-Do Association (Jidokwan) because GM Yoon is my teacher's uncle by marriage, so he was asked by him to join.

As for my students, taekwondo learners wear v-neck dobok, karate learners wear karate gi, as do tang soo do learners. Black belts in tang soo do wear black trim on their karate gi.

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What colour dobok does everyone use

Should they be plain white? or can they be blue's black's anything does it matter to you?

I've only ever had a plain white dobak. But, the black belts at my school uniforms with black trim. And, my instructor DOES have a blue uniform that he sometimes wears.

Mellyn

White Belt
Reaction score
As a black belt, white with black trim, but my Tang Soo Do instructor wore black tops/bottoms for workout only - all white for "occasions".
My Tae Kwon Do instructor wears white with black trim.

Mellyn

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why? The standard in my class is white, but I would rather have students show up in the wrong uniform, or in street clothes because they forgot their uniform, than not show up at all. If it becomes a habit, then certainly, I'll do more - and only one of my students owns a dobok that's not white, but I don't care what they work out in so much, as what they wear to events.
You're making too much sense Kacey! And yes I agree with you, I think that it's more important that your students take the time to show up to train, even if they are out of uniform.

As for me, I alternate between an all white dobok with a black trim v-neck collar, and an ALL BLACK dobok. Sometimes I'll even get a wild hair up my
and I'll mix it up by sporting a white dobok top with BLACK pants. WILD... :erg:

:D

Mellyn

White Belt
Reaction score
hehe sounds like fun =)
sometimes we'd have street clothes/street fighting classes in TSD - thought was, if you can't make the head-level kick in the tight jeans that you wear every day, why are you training it? good stuff. topic of shoes is another story all-together.

i miss those days...
Mellyn

Klassh

White Belt
Reaction score
We wear standard white, with the Velcro lapel. But we are allowed to wear red ones during the Christmas season. :baba2:

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We wear standard white, with the Velcro lapel. But we are allowed to wear red ones during the Christmas season. :baba2:

Really?? I never thought of something like that.... now I want a uniform for every holiday!!

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Traditionally the dobock has to be white, only (for me) the collar of it must to be black (for black belts), uniformity in dobock it's a must in a good dojan.

However I must admit that black pants/white tops looks terriffic in black belt studentes, using the cross top like the ones used in karate.

Manny

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Traditionally the dobock has to be white, only (for me) the collar of it must to be black (for black belts), uniformity in dobock it's a must in a good dojan.

However I must admit that black pants/white tops looks terriffic in black belt studentes, using the cross top like the ones used in karate.

Manny

Concerning the bit I've bolded, I don't know if I agree. Having a code that is followed is important, I'll agree with that, but everyone wearing the same thing isn't necessary in my opinion. You don't want some people in sweats, some in jeans, and some in doboks, but some leeway can certainly be allowed and maintain high standards of instruction.
Where I train, everyone needs a uniform after they have been to class for two months. You can wear a Karate Gi, or TKD style V neck dobok; either is fine. In the summer, you have the option of losing the tops and wearing a school Tshirt of you wish. For the most part I don't think I would judge a school by the doboks on the students.

jim

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm with Jim. Our school has a standard white Dobuk, with club badges and standard logos in standard places. The only chioce you have with it are V-neck pull over style, zip up wrap round and tie wrap round.

I know it looks good, but when you are training hard the only thing you see are the eyes of your opponant, not thier dobuk. In an official capacity, at seminars and gradings it loks good also, especially on the photos ;) But we have a Karate class that practices at our studio, their uniforms aren't as standard, they wear whatever they can buy and they look fine.

It's a good job we get ours at a reasonable price through the club.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't agree, why? cause just imagine a samboknim using his standard white gi, and hi/hers students wearing red gis and or blue gis and and all the combination in colours you can imagine.

I live in the gulf of Mexico where hot weather and over 70% of humidity is and belive me it's a bad thing see people training with a sweaty underwear tshirt and maybe a karate pants.

Do dobok (uniform) was created for something I think, I don't mind in dojos or dojans is the students wear black or red gis o doboks, but I don't like to see su much colour combinations.

So please don't tell cause the hot weather you use an underwear tshirt cause the heat, the doboks are cotton fresh and absorb a lot of perspiration.

Manny

Latest Discussions