What can you really count on under stress?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
thanks for sharing these experiences with us all :)

I'm confused though by the original post. I can see that it would be a benifit to ask this of the students but I kind of always thought that Wing Chun was about not stressing in combat and letting it flow out of you without your conscious mind putting the brakes on.
Have I picked this up wrong? Is there a little bit of your mind that tactically tries to calculate "How am I going to proceed with the demolishion of my enemy here?"

I don't disagree with anything that's been said I would just like to know.
For my own part, at least the feedback from the punchbag tells me, I have faith that I can at the very least imbalance someone with a driven elbow. Until the field test results come back it will remain at just faith and it assumes that I can hit a moving target :) "punchbags don't hit back"
P

you're right...WC should be about relaxing and being spontaneous in a fight, but as the great philosopher Mike Tyson once said:
"Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth"

That's why it is so crucial to pressure test what you do. While you can't exactly mimic what you would do in a street encounter, you can get your body/mind used to working under stressful conditions, so that when it does occur, you aren't exactly in unchartered waters.

The obvious ways to do this are numerous fighting drills, chi sau, etc, as have been mentioned, but one that I think that gets seriously overlooked is Siu Nim Tao.
SNT helps to put you in a state of "in the moment", not anticipating even one second into the future, but focusing completly on the task at hand.
The more you practice this form, the more this state is just under the surface, so that in a potentially stressful situation you are able to go there.
What's the first thing to go away when stressed? Breathing...SNT addresses this.
When suddenly attacked, you want to have good balance/root/structure/poise....SNT addresses all this and more.

One thing my sifu would have us do after a hard driving workout when we were fighting for breath was to go through SNT to regain our composure.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
you're right...WC should be about relaxing and being spontaneous in a fight, but as the great philosopher Mike Tyson once said:
"Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth"

That's why it is so crucial to pressure test what you do. While you can't exactly mimic what you would do in a street encounter, you can get your body/mind used to working under stressful conditions, so that when it does occur, you aren't exactly in unchartered waters.

The obvious ways to do this are numerous fighting drills, chi sau, etc, as have been mentioned, but one that I think that gets seriously overlooked is Siu Nim Tao.
SNT helps to put you in a state of "in the moment", not anticipating even one second into the future, but focusing completly on the task at hand.
The more you practice this form, the more this state is just under the surface, so that in a potentially stressful situation you are able to go there.
What's the first thing to go away when stressed? Breathing...SNT addresses this.
When suddenly attacked, you want to have good balance/root/structure/poise....SNT addresses all this and more.

One thing my sifu would have us do after a hard driving workout when we were fighting for breath was to go through SNT to regain our composure.

Bloody good post Yak , we should be in the "SNT State" everytime we perform any Wing Chun movement.

MacPedro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Brilliant! :)

Task orientated and SLT state of consciousness.

If I can condense teaching down to little sound bytes I'll remember it more readily.
Thanks again for disseminating the Wisdom.
I'm gonna have a look for Kuen Kuit that might apply.

Regards,
Pedro

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
a clear and open mind,both hemispheres,and a lot of surefire confidence.....my hands worked out the particulars................so far it has not failed.......format fails....so does lack of confidence..........

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I say jump out at one of your students in a dark alley and see if he/she remembers what they've been training in. You cannot design a more real scenario. Of course I am joking but what if...

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I say jump out at one of your students in a dark alley and see if he/she remembers what they've been training in. You cannot design a more real scenario. Of course I am joking but what if...

Have you ever been in a dark alley? Theyre really rather safe, and have very few, if any, hiding spots. :)

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends what is being sent as to what I can rely on, if theres a knife I'm using my legs though. :)
And as Geoff Thompson says, you can rely on your adrenaline.

Latest Discussions