What do you like to see in "good" WC?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well here's something I posted over on that other forum where all the WC bashers tend to hang out. Some of them are convinced that all WC is garbage and is totally different from what they do. Well yes and no. I may not have any more luck than our president at finding common ground, but I gave it a shot! Here's my attempt at a civil discourse. I was trying to discuss some of the things I value in a "good" school. Now these concepts go beyond the standard description of what we as 'chunners do do. You know, the basic WC principles of efficiency, economy of motion, straightline over circle, simultaneous defense-attack, borrowing an opponent's force, and so on. It was more about what concepts I expected to see in any good kung-fu school, or in any fighting art, for that matter. See what you think.

...A few more random observations. My old Escrima instructor gives open seminars which stress fighting concepts over specific techniques. People from a lot of backgrounds have studied with him. Even though I'm a 'chunner, training his concepts has been very helpful, and I'd expect to see them represented in some fashion in a good kung-fu school... or in any good martial arts school. Basically he breaks it down like this:

Balance: Which for me is being solid and stable whether moving or standing still. Some kung -fu places excessive emphasis on static balance. You know, 15 minutes in a deep horse stance or standing motionless on one leg like a ballerina. That may be physically challenging, but I find that dynamic balance, or being balanced as you move to attack or defend is most important.

Speed: Not the flicky-slappy speed that people like to show of on Youtube, but functional speed which comes in part from relaxation, from explosiveness, and in a greater part from positioning (angle and distance) and timing. Applying this concept can enable a person who is not naturally "fast" (in the sense of having quick reactions) to have more functional speed than another fighter who has very fast hands.

Power: Especially "short power"... the ability to develop maximum force in a short distance, and without having to withdraw your hand to deliver another hard hit.

Focus and Attitude: Everybody talks about focus... but you really have to train it. And attitude or mind-set is a very important part of maintaining your focus and achieving your goal. I don't think you can really train this without some hard sparring.

Transition: This is the ability to move seemlessly from one situation or position to another. In Escrima, it can also apply to adapting and using whatever tools are at hand: stick, blade, staff, or any manner of improvised weapons. But it also means instantaneously adapting and redirecting your force if your opponent does something unexpected... you know, the classic "Oh shizzle!" situation. You have to make the transition and adjustment in stance, steps, posture or structure and technique to recover. Or you're done.

Sure these five concepts are just one of a million ways to break down some of the things that go into learning a fighting art, but it's a breakdown that I found useful. And these are things I'd want to see taught in any school I would attend. Including Kung-fu schools. Even including Wing Chun. So, for example, I work hard at trying to develop the same kind of total body power in my WC front thrust punch that I had to train in my Escrima punches. because if I can't hit hard, what's the point of hitting someone at all. Or worse, slapping them a zillion times with a fast but weak chain punch. Yes I do practice chain punching... but if I have to, I'd rather slow it down and make it count. BTW it is absolutely possible to use your whole body, and not just your arm, in a WC punch. Just that a lot of people don't train for that.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Totally agree with all that.

For me its the stance it has to be locked in and lowered , It goes back to my days as a grading instructor.
If the student came out in front of me and the stance was crap I didn't bother looking any further , didn't matter if his hands were faster than Bruce Lee.

I also like to see the arms in the correct angles , relaxed and effortless movement , economy of motion - only moving enough to neutralise the attack.

So yeah , pretty much everything you already said.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me its the stance it has to be locked in and lowered ....
If the student came out in front of me and the stance was crap I didn't bother looking any further...I also like to see the arms in the correct angles, relaxed and effortless movement...

As you may know, my day job is teaching high school ceramics. I just got through testing a new beginning class on the basic technique of centering clay on the potter's wheel. You'd have to change very few words from what you said to quote the dressing-down I gave some of my students who performed the task badly. Ever work on a potter's wheel Mook?

BTW I've got an old video of a Chinese master potter at work doing things the traditional way. Amazingly strong, fast, efficient, graceful, even elegant as he plies his trade... That's Kung-fu.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its just one of my instructors told me when I was first being trained to teach , he said when correcting students " Always start at the feet and work your way up from there".

I have had a few goes on a potters wheel before actually , without much success.
The finished product always ended up looking like something that dropped out of the back end of a horse.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
IMO good footwork is the backbone of any martial art and the thing that is lacking from most of the chun seen on the web. I completely agree with you geezer, that too many TMAs spend way too much time training static stances. They're an essential part of training, especially for beginners as it helps them to find their centre. But I think that once the student has achieved a decent standard in their basic stances, they should spend an equal if larger amount of time training their dynamic structure.
I think we've all had that light bulb moment when we were first starting out and certain techniques just weren't working for us. Then something clicks in the old grey matter, you shift your foot a little or come in from a different angle and...hey presto!
In our lineage, the first thing you learn is a footwork only form called ng lun ma and it is stressed that you can't train this enough.
A couple of other things I look for in good chun are- variety in techniques used in drills and sparring, not just chain punching to oblivion, and the ability to control the opponent while applying technique, be it by pressing, pulling, pushing, elbow control, FOOTWORK, etc.

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good topic geezer.

When I meet someone for the first time I have a little list of things I check doing some easy chi sau to get an idea of where a person is.

First very softly I check the stance to they rock back and forth? Side to side? Can they adjust and maintain position ? Do they step in when they attack? Do they reach when they attack? Can they defend against basic attacks thrusting tan sau and fook sau/punch? Do they do chi sao attacks that have very little real world fighting application like attacking on the roll? Not a big fan of folks that do the fook sau chop when the person rolls their bong down to tan. You are never going to be in a fight where your opponent rolls his bong down to a tan so I see very limited value in making such attacks a staple technique.Do they try to speed up to attack? Not much value in rolling at 25 mph but hit the gas and attack at 100 mph to try to get the guy. Again Limited real world application of this.

If we make past those basics then I look to footwork. How do they use it ? How to they respond to mine?

All this done at a slow easy speed.

thefearofme

White Belt
Reaction score
Brilliant points you have added there.

Whenever I'm training WC, I make sure to train every part of my body by those five concepts.
In the chain punches, I try to maximize power in the shortest distance, and try to balance my body while in form. Also testing and analyzing how the body weight moves around to make sure my balance is perfect and give maximum strength to the muscle I'm about to use. Most WC beginner practitioners look at speed rather than form, but thankfully I came to realize quickly that form is everything. Every punch I do now, by stretching my forearm and pushing my fist in a upward direction right before impact gives the maximum amount of force.

The Wing Chun gates principle is a good example of form and because of that its perfection.

And if only all schools will teach in the proper way you mentioned, students will actually learn the art and embrace it. Before every single WC practice I always tell myself in heart, form is the most important thing, without form you are nothing, because all those techniques you learned they are based on a form. So whenever my form is disturbed I repeat my form and technique again and again until it is perfect.

The use of your whole body is a key point in WC. Your body is your force, if you punch without a good form and you will not gain maximum strength ( Crysis for you gamers :p ) and you should set in your mind that every punch I do even if it slow, it has to use the whole body.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is an over-simplistic answer, but I look for body unity. When a person moves or strikes, does the body move as one unit or does a person upset thier own balance when they move? When striking is the entire body focused into that one point of impact or is the person's eneergy split? The things mentioned above are good things, but the first and last thing i look for in ANY martial artist is body unity.

Fei Ze Min

White Belt
Reaction score
I like to see "sticky body" rather than sticky hands. WC is close combat so points of reference let us know whwerecwe are in relation to our opponent. Multiple points of referential contact allow total awareness and manipulation which leads to ending the fight. The hands are important but not the only thing. I find it too easy to over emphasize the hands.
Well not over emphasize...i hope i'm making sense, it's early and I haven't had my coffee yet. LOL

Latest Discussions