What are your school's rules?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm curious what the official rules of different schools are. Are there a lot of rules? Only a few? Are they only limited to safety, etiquette, or do they cover other things as well?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only 2 rules in my school.

A student has to:

- compete in tournament.
- teach in the future.
So your club makes people teach even if they’re bad teachers?...because frankly not everyone is capable of being a teacher. That’s not a bad thing it’s just some people are teachers and some aren’t. Forcing people is not a good idea for a club imo. Because if you make everyone do it, some won’t want to and they won’t put in the effort because they don’t want to be there and they don’t the enthusiasm or the patience for it so they’ll be teaching badly and that’ll mean the students get poor teaching

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm curious what the official rules of different schools are. Are there a lot of rules? Only a few? Are they only limited to safety, etiquette, or do they cover other things as well?
We have a handbook that includes general safety rules. Nothing different from what a commercial gym would have. If memory serves we used a gym handbook as a model.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
im not sure there are any ? if they exsist no ones told me

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not posted or written down....just understood.

Control your head contact (light contact only) if both parries want to go harder that is fine within reason.....don't go crazy.

Its your job to protect your face...not your opponents.

Use common sense and don't injure each other.

Groin contact is allowed and encouraged but control the power.

If the sparing goes into the chairs or bags stop and return to the sparring area.

If you are a higher rank don't just utterly destroy the lower ranks to the point of discouragement.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We had some posted rules -

No talking politics or religion in the gym.

You will learn to be a lady or gentleman of the Arts, in the mean time fake it.

Sign in for every class you take.

Keep your hands up. (You'll find out what this means right quick.)

No unsupervised sparring until you are told it's okay.

All other rules and proper dojo etiquette will be taught to you as you go on.

And what I told all students - "If I see you hanging on the corner smoking a cigaret in a school T-shirt I will come to your house and beat you up in front of your dog." They all laughed at that one, but they understood.

It was a strict dojo. But it was a two way street, I got kids summer jobs, full-time jobs, raised money for their families when needed, got them credit cards, taught a bunch of them of them how to drive, helped some get into colleges. I'd do anything to help them.
Damn straight it was going to be strict. And they all loved it. They still tell me that to this day, which makes me proud of what we did.

EDIT. Darn near forgot. Don't you ever ask when you can test for rank. EVER.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How about sharing the rules from your school? Also, can you share the rules to want to have when you open your own school?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
STRIKE FIRST

STRIKE HARD

NO MERCY, SIR!

Also...

Fear does not exist in this dojo.

Pain does not exist in this dojo.

Defeat does not exist in this dojo.

Mercy is for the weak.

... you get the drift!

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about sharing the rules from your school? Also, can you share the rules to want to have when you open your own school?
I will. I wanted the thread to start with what others have before I posted my own.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
These are the rule at my karate school
20200909_111905.jpg

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oath to the Supreme Deities

On becoming a member of the Tenshinshō-den Katori Shintō-ryū, which has been transmitted by the Great Deity of the Katori Shrine, I herewith affirm my pledge that:

1. I will not have the impertinence to discuss or demonstrate details of the ryu to either non-members or members, even if they are relatives;
  2. I will not engage in altercations or misuse the art against others;
  3. I will not engage in any kind of gambling or frequent disreputable places;
  4. I will not cross swords with any followers of other martial traditions without authorization
I hereby pledge to firmly adhere to each of the above articles. Should I break any of these articles I will submit to the punishment of the Great Deity of Katori and the Great Deity Marishiten. Herewith I solemnly swear and affix my blood seal to this oath to these Great Deities.

Those are the traditional 'rules' of one of the schools I study.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We didn't have any formal rules. Just some expectations. Like not laugh at others and general respect type stuff. A lot of it was lead by example, in terms of what to do an not to do. The closest to rules that we had were safety requirements. Like if you spar then you have to have a mouth piece and to be mindful of one's surroundings during weapon practice.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I don't know that they're written down. The three we have posted are:
  1. Be quiet, class in session
  2. No food or drink on the mat
  3. No shoes on the mat (except Taekwondo shoes)
Then we have the rules we've been told, which include:
  • Uniform (school uniform, no long sleeves underneath, no collared shirts underneath, no jewelry).
  • Hygiene (keep your nails trimmed, be clean)
  • Etiquette and respect (when to bow, saying "sir" and "ma'am")
  • Keep your hands to yourself unless otherwise directed
  • Ask permission before leaving the mat
  • If you haven't been given an instruction, then wait for an instruction (mostly for kids classes)
  • Never say "I can't"
  • Be prepared for every class - bring your uniform, belt, gear, weapons, etc.
We also have additional rules right now because of COVID, but I'm hoping that won't be a factor by the time I open a place.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oath to the Supreme Deities

On becoming a member of the Tenshinshō-den Katori Shintō-ryū, which has been transmitted by the Great Deity of the Katori Shrine, I herewith affirm my pledge that:

1. I will not have the impertinence to discuss or demonstrate details of the ryu to either non-members or members, even if they are relatives;
  2. I will not engage in altercations or misuse the art against others;
  3. I will not engage in any kind of gambling or frequent disreputable places;
  4. I will not cross swords with any followers of other martial traditions without authorization
I hereby pledge to firmly adhere to each of the above articles. Should I break any of these articles I will submit to the punishment of the Great Deity of Katori and the Great Deity Marishiten. Herewith I solemnly swear and affix my blood seal to this oath to these Great Deities.

Those are the traditional 'rules' of one of the schools I study.
Oh wow, that's intense Brendan! Very formal hey... I like seeing all the different oaths etc. I've always been interested in the not discussing or telling anyone of techniques or methods used... not a judgement, but yeah it is interesting. It may be like Vipassana meditation retreats, where you're not supposed to teach anyone the technique if you're not a qualified teacher, as you don't want to do any possible damage or misinform.

But always wondered why not sharing certain things... interesting!

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh wow, that's intense Brendan! Very formal hey... I like seeing all the different oaths etc. I've always been interested in the not discussing or telling anyone of techniques or methods used... not a judgement, but yeah it is interesting. It may be like Vipassana meditation retreats, where you're not supposed to teach anyone the technique if you're not a qualified teacher, as you don't want to do any possible damage or misinform.

But always wondered why not sharing certain things... interesting!

Hey Simon - absolutely it's an interesting one. I think the restrictions on sharing (and the others, tbh) all originate back in the days when these were proprietary warfare systems. Protecting the secrets provided a comparative advantage. Essentially (like the school) obsolete concepts these days, for the most part.