What are the odds?

F

fringe_dweller

Hey all,

Just wondering what kind odds there are that you would have to defend yourself from some kind of attack in the street where you are.

Here in Sydney there are a couple of rough places but apart from that if you simply respect the people around you the chances of getting into an altercation are pretty slim. To give you an idea, I'm a 24 yo male - perfect age to be worried about getting into stuff on the street with people who have something to prove - but to date I've only had two encounters, both of which I've managed to talk down rather than biffing on. From the posts I've read from a lot of you guys, it seems different.

Is self defence a *need* where you are?

Respectfully

around where i live...if you get into some type of scruff...chances are you got yourself there by being a wise guy or a loud mouth or just a plain ol' jerk. there's a couple of bars that you just don't go to as well if you don't want trouble in the form of a bullet or a knife. plenty of other places to go where you don't have to worry about getting killed.

but basically if you mind your business in in my hometown, you'll be fine.

In my area (east tennessee), the need for self-defense is very rare unless you are just being a punk. i suppose we have our share of muggings, etc., but most situations like that are just a perp holding a gun on you wanting money, and in that case, i'd just hand over my wallet. i've never even had a verbal altercation with anyone off the street. but just in case...

jb

The City I live in, Leeds (England) used to be quite rough until a few years ago. Since then it has been steadily developed.

On a Friday and Saturday night you could guarantee there would be numerous fights - usually involving drunken idiots.

I always managed to avoid getting dragged into the fights. I have never seen anybody use their art in a real situation.

I'd be interested in hearing any stories of how people have use their martial arts skills in real life situations (or if this question has been asked b4 directions to the relevant thread locations). Did there art/s work or did they feel it didn't help them and, if so, why?

It would be interesting to know the odds of a fight breaking out and a martial artist getting involved with an opponent who also knew martial arts?!

Andy

Where I live, about 40 minutes outside Rochester NY, there is a very slim chance I would have to defend myself. If I did, it'll prolly have to be from a loud mouth redneck drunk that I could prolly talk my way out of, because his/her drunk butt wouldn't be worth jail time, anyways.

If I went to the city of Rochester, that all would change. I don't hang out there much. When I do, it's usually in a group of two or more MA friends. We would cover each other's tails if needed.

When I lived in NJ, I had a higher chance of getting attacked, which I did in AC, NJ. I did defend myself. I walked, he didn't. Couple of broken ribs and broken nose really hurt, I guess LOL.

I think the posts are saying what the research has said for years:

Your chances of having to use your art to defend yourself is about once in twenty years...(given that you don't live in a war zone and stay out of problem areas)...

So, that begs the question: Why train in martial arts at all?
Buying a gun is cheaper and a hell of a lot easier to learn in the short term.

There are other forums to answer those questions, so please keep this thread on topic...but, reality is that self defense is rarely a NEED...being smart about your environment and leaving when things look wrong go a lot farther than martial training...

I've nevr been forced into a situation where my training was necessary...I've hung around to see if I needed it a couple of times...but i was much younger and a lot stupider then.

:asian:
chufeng

Originally posted by chufeng

I think the posts are saying what the research has said for years:

Your chances of having to use your art to defend yourself is about once in twenty years...(given that you don't live in a war zone and stay out of problem areas)...

So, that begs the question: Why train in martial arts at all?
mar·tial adj.
Of, relating to, or suggestive of war.

I just had to be punny with your "war zone" comment.

Just because you don't have to defend oneself often (once in twenty years) doesn't mean you never need to. I sure would like to live past my 20th birthday and we don't all happen to live in nice happy suburbia. Am I likely to ever be in a fight I didn't have something to do with starting? No. Do I want to play the odds and take that chance? Definantly not.

reality is that self defense is rarely a NEED...being smart about your environment and leaving when things look wrong

That IS self defense. Self-defense isn't about magic techniques that somehow "save" you. You have to "save" yourself. The greatest martial artist on earth isn't invincible, if he hangs around our proverbial war zone all those flashy punches and kicks won't save him. He is going to get killed. One person (who is a very good martial attist) related a story about a call he got from a co worker. She had been out late, in the dark, in the city, alone. She got nervous so she wandered around under those same conditions even longer to call our martial artist and ask what she should do. She was looking for some magic bullet to save her. He told her that she should get out of there, buy a cell phone, and don't do that again.

OK,

Elfan, I said the same thing...stay out of bad areas (unless you live there)

My other point was, if self defense is your goal...buy a gun and learn how to use it. Reality based training is just that...in today's world, you are more likely to encounter a hand gun in a "bad situation" and no matter how good you are, the guy with the gun has the advantage...so, martial arts really doesn't prepare us for that (unless you are REALLY, REALLY good)...

Martial arts provide us with an alternative...but the years of training necessary to be "good enough" to deal with a bad situation does NOT seem to be a reasonable trade-off...the "self-defense" benefit is sort of like a REALLY EXPENSIVE insurance policy...

So, I suggest that WE (as martial artists) study the martial arts for reasons other than self defense...and that is a topic for another forum...

Thanks for your comments...

chufeng

When I was attacked, the attacker didn't have a weapon (or he didn't use it and/or I didn't see it). But guess what saved my butt? Yes, martial arts. I learned to keep my nerves in check with MA. I didn't panic, but re-acted quickly. After he tried to choke me, I let loose on him. I didn't use any "fancy" stuff. Just stuff I knew that works. He was on the ground in pain and I went about my business. ;) :asian:

I have also learned to not "look like a victim" since then. I learned to keep "alert" and follow my "sixth sence." If something doesn't feel right, I get out of there. I go with my gut feeling. If I have to fight, I choose to do so quickly and get outta there.

The best defense is to not "look like a victim," a good gut (gut feeling), and being very alert. What teaches this? Martial Arts ;)

the place i live is quite good ...not much in happenings so not much ppl care about self defense...but still it depends on the person how he/she wants to go with the altercation...
for me being with heavy looks does help so normally persons just don't want to take me on... but i prefer not to put myself into any situation where myself or anyone else get hurt...
tho in 6.5 yrs of MA i hav used it once, out without any injury, lots of to them...
living in india is relatively very easy...
-TkdWarrior-

Originally posted by chufeng

So, I suggest that WE (as martial artists) study the martial arts for reasons other than self defense...and that is a topic for another forum...

Thanks for your comments...

chufeng [/B]

Sorry for the late reply, time difference is a killer.

Chufeng, this was kind of what I had in mind when I created the thread. I wanted to get an idea of whether or not everyone else was required to make use of their arts more often than me. A lot of people on this forum seem to put a really large amount of effort into their art (and good on them for doing so, wish I had more time to as well) whereas I seem to only be scratching the surface. I train five times a week, an hour and a half each session.

The real question I was asking is are you guys training more than me because your art is a survival tool or for another reason? ie you teach or you simply have a passion for it.

Respectfully

I don't train as much as you, but I do so because (mainly) to learn self defense. But, to me, Martial Arts is more than just self defense. I have learned so much more than just physical abilities. I have more self confidence, self esteem, self disipline, and respect (was a wild child with no esteem or respect for anyone LOL). I keep training for all these things. I do want to teach in the future to give back to MA what MA gave me. So, I would say it's a passion now.

Originally posted by fringe_dweller

A lot of people on this forum seem to put a really large amount of effort into their art (and good on them for doing so, wish I had more time to as well) whereas I seem to only be scratching the surface. I train five times a week, an hour and a half each session.

The real question I was asking is are you guys training more than me because your art is a survival tool or for another reason? ie you teach or you simply have a passion for it.

Respectfully

Lol, I wish I still trained as much as you do! Be thankful for what you have.

If you feal that you are still scratching the surfance than thats good! I'd be warry of people who have been at it to a few years and now decide they know everything. I like it when I ask a question and the answer is "I don't know."

I know this wasn't the point of the thread but one thing for you to consider is how "inteligent" (for lack of a better word) your training is. I also try to pay attention to one thing that I am working on (an aspect of posture for example) instead of just going through the techniques. For me that makes my training much more satisfying

Oh, and the reason I train as much as I do (certianly at a point of dimenishing returns in some regaurds) is simply because I enjoy training. Nothing more nothing less.

Originally posted by Elfan

I know this wasn't the point of the thread but one thing for you to consider is how "inteligent" (for lack of a better word) your training is. I also try to pay attention to one thing that I am working on (an aspect of posture for example) instead of just going through the techniques. For me that makes my training much more satisfying

Ok, bear with me here... maybe I'm not that "intelligent" :D but what do you mean by this? Do you mean focus on one part like footwork, balance, body position etc?

Respectfully

Back