"Fear no man"? Is this good?

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So says the advertisement on this website for a "free" military system". Is fearing no man really a good thing? Fear is an important emotion, it can get you to run out of a burning house, keep your hand off a hot stove, look both ways before you cross a street. There are men to be feared, and indeed fear can in reality be a healthy respect, no taking an attacker lightly, running if it is possible away from the attacker due to fear of losing life, limb, freedom (if you end up in jail, no way of knowing how a physical altercation will end up legally) finances
(civil lawsuits can bankrupt you, as well as medical bills from the one you injured even if he attacked you first-miscarriages of justice do happen.)

While it is true that a paralyzing fear is not good and can get you killed, a healthy fear is indeed good. Fear no man? Only a fool fears no one, a gun is a great equalizer as is a knife, billy club, and the like. And there is not only always somebody who is better than you on any given day, there are likely lots of people better than you. Fear, a healthy respect kind of fear, is indeed good.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Captain Chris" is on the right track in his own way but that is a matter of perception. I found that it is better not to play too heavily in their words. I try to check out things on either a trial basis or when there is a fire sale. I refuse to pay 400.00 for some dvds only to find I knew most of the material already but it just had different packaging and a different color coating. I refuse to spend 1500.00 on a weekend seminar only to find that there wasnt enough time or I wasted money on something I could have learned for free or already knew. There is no magic potion or superhuman kool aide in this stuff or any of these guys who are walking this line. I can think of a few out right now and essentially they are the same. They may be working different angles on the essentials and/or principles but its based off the same concept.

Sift and sort through it... grab what is or can be useful and discard whats not...then move on to the next.

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think it's dumb. There are only 2 reasons I can think of to fight. 1) Competition and 2) Self defense. You make a conscious decision to step into the ring. Self defense is a different matter altogether. On the street, if you're not afraid of the other guy what reason do you have to fight him in the first place?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CountDumme_new.jpg

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So says the advertisement on this website for a "free" military system". Is fearing no man really a good thing? Fear is an important emotion, it can get you to run out of a burning house, keep your hand off a hot stove, look both ways before you cross a street. There are men to be feared, and indeed fear can in reality be a healthy respect, no taking an attacker lightly, running if it is possible away from the attacker due to fear of losing life, limb, freedom (if you end up in jail, no way of knowing how a physical altercation will end up legally) finances
(civil lawsuits can bankrupt you, as well as medical bills from the one you injured even if he attacked you first-miscarriages of justice do happen.)

While it is true that a paralyzing fear is not good and can get you killed, a healthy fear is indeed good. Fear no man? Only a fool fears no one, a gun is a great equalizer as is a knife, billy club, and the like. And there is not only always somebody who is better than you on any given day, there are likely lots of people better than you. Fear, a healthy respect kind of fear, is indeed good.

Fear, IMO, is a natural thing, however, it needs to be controlled, otherwise, it'll control you. Unless you're someone who can totally tune out any remorse or feelings, then I'd say that everyone can experience fear.

Fear of fighting, getting hurt, hurting someone else, getting sued, etc....well, of course all those things are important to think about, however, I don't think letting someone assault you, rob you, rape you, whatever, because you're afraid of the aftermath, is wrong. If that happens, then the bad guy has already won IMO. So, someone is going to break into my house, uninvited, late at night, and gets injured in the process, then turns around and sues me...well, go ahead. Any judge or jury that would award some dirtbag cash for doing that, needs their head examined.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To me, “fear no man”, simply means, controlling your fear to the extent that you are thinking clearly and logically of all your possible options. Fight or flight.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, maybe “fear no man”, but when you see hundreds of fixed bayonets gleaming in the sun as they charge you, you might fear them.

I can honestly say I have met some men (pride says 'only a few') that can clean my clock anytime in a dark ally. Some of them are mighty tough, fast, BIG, and very skilled. Yes I would fear them if I found myself in a dark ally and I knew they were after me. I'd fear them so much I'd shoot them first, and then ask questions later.

Thank God I live in Texas, where the 'Great Equalizer' can be had by all, strong, weak, old, young, infirm. If not for that, then anyone would be at the mercy of a pack of hoodlems or the very strong.

Deaf

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No. Fear is useful--keeps you out of trouble. It's only bad if it's excessive or unreasonable.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Fear, IMO, is a natural thing, however, it needs to be controlled, otherwise, it'll control you. Unless you're someone who can totally tune out any remorse or feelings, then I'd say that everyone can experience fear.

Fear of fighting, getting hurt, hurting someone else, getting sued, etc....well, of course all those things are important to think about, however, I don't think letting someone assault you, rob you, rape you, whatever, because you're afraid of the aftermath, is wrong. If that happens, then the bad guy has already won IMO. So, someone is going to break into my house, uninvited, late at night, and gets injured in the process, then turns around and sues me...well, go ahead. Any judge or jury that would award some dirtbag cash for doing that, needs their head examined.

If they break into your house the law is all on your side in most states, good to check out the laws in your state. I'm not advocating doing nothing if someone attacks you, but it really is a good idea to run if you can, and I was thinking more of some lowlife on the streets, not somebody breaking into your house.

But my main point was that fear is a good thing, "fear no man" may be a catchy line to sell something, but its not a good mindset to have. But they were trying to sell something, it was marketing.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
To me, “fear no man”, simply means, controlling your fear to the extent that you are thinking clearly and logically of all your possible options. Fight or flight.

Well, if that is what it means I agree with you.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
fear no man is a concept that is wide open for contradiction and terrible misconception.

You cannot eliminate fear. It is a higher wiring beyond our cognitive control , a sixth sense if you will. It is in place as a survival mechanism. It cannot be eliminated, only replaced. The only replacement is anger and/or rage... Anger is the solution to fear and the concoction of adrenaline... but first you have to understand what fear is and what its effects are physically, emotionally and mentally. Then you learn to manage it and turn it into a weapon. Fear is a weapon that is very much needed... but there are many bi-products of fear that must be eliminated or replaced before it can become a weapon at your disposal.

take care out there guys.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should fear no man....because everyone knows the female of the species is deadlier! :wink2:

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, maybe “fear no man”, but when you see hundreds of fixed bayonets gleaming in the sun as they charge you, you might fear them.

I can honestly say I have met some men (pride says 'only a few') that can clean my clock anytime in a dark ally. Some of them are mighty tough, fast, BIG, and very skilled. Yes I would fear them if I found myself in a dark ally and I knew they were after me. I'd fear them so much I'd shoot them first, and then ask questions later.

Thank God I live in Texas, where the 'Great Equalizer' can be had by all, strong, weak, old, young, infirm. If not for that, then anyone would be at the mercy of a pack of hoodlems or the very strong.

Deaf

I don't know about fear, but I do have a very high respect for quite a few folks that could whip me and I'd rather not even try that route. \

Amen Deaf Smith to this post. The great equalizer is well worth the time and energy it takes to acquire one.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fear creates awareness. Like anything else, if you let it, fear can overcome you. Rather than casting out fear, one should learn to use it, rather than letting it use you.

From Dune, by Frank Herbert:
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

Advertising hyperbole aside, fear is a double edged sword..........it's usefulness depends on the situation, and a couple exact definitions of exactly what we mean by 'fear'.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it's dumb. There are only 2 reasons I can think of to fight. 1) Competition and 2) Self defense. You make a conscious decision to step into the ring. Self defense is a different matter altogether. On the street, if you're not afraid of the other guy what reason do you have to fight him in the first place?

There are only 2 reasons to fight in a 'civilized society'.......there are far more reasons if one finds one's self in a less than civilized setting.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is the goal of 'Fearing no man' any different than this.....

"If by setting one's heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he gains freedom in the Way. His whole life will be without blame, and he will succeed in his calling." Yamamoto Tsunetomo 'Hagakure'

Tsunetomo seems to be suggesting that the way of the Samurai is found in eliminating the fear of death, eliminating fear altogether, so that one may respond without the cloud of fear........i'm not suggesting he's right or wrong, merely pointing to the fact that goal of 'fearing no man' is part and parcel of martial thinking........I suspect that the issue many folks have with the idea has more to do with moral beliefs outside of the martial way.

That putting aside that in this instance 'Fear No Man' is mere marketing hyperbole.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bill, where did you find that Buh Zurk ad??

:lfao:

Latest Discussions