Well then time to hang up the gi

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I've had some bad news medically this week I was on holiday for the weekend visiting my girlfriend and collapsed Monday morning and lost all memory of the weekend it's slowly come back now but I've been suffering from black outs vacant moments where I almost go into a trance and I'm unresponsive. I forgot who my girlfriend was while we were simply in a taxi sitting there. Went to the doctors today they don't know yet what's up but they've said I should stop training. It sucks but it is what it Is I guess

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
wow that's scary man, i hope everything turns out ok and the Dr.s can figure out what it is and cure it.

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
wow that's scary man, i hope everything turns out ok and the Dr.s can figure out what it is and cure it.
Thank you and yeah the stopping training sucks but at the end of the day health is more important I'm not arguing it I hated what happened and have no desire to be stupid and make it worse

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You hopefully won't have to quit training permanently, but getting the problem diagnosed and treated should be your top priority right now. Good luck!

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I've had some bad news medically this week I was on holiday for the weekend visiting my girlfriend and collapsed Monday morning and lost all memory of the weekend it's slowly come back now but I've been suffering from black outs vacant moments where I almost go into a trance and I'm unresponsive. I forgot who my girlfriend was while we were simply in a taxi sitting there. Went to the doctors today they don't know yet what's up but they've said I should stop training. It sucks but it is what it Is I guess
Had a friend with this condition. Turned out to be Epilepsy and managed with meds.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it! By all means do what your doctor tells you. And as others have said, I hope it is a temporary condition and you can get back training.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully it's only temporary and gets better. Good luck, let us know what the doctors say!

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know that feel brother Kenpo. I'm currently sidelined due to a knee injury. I hope it's not too serious and you're back out there doing what you love to do real soon.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of possibilities, but absence seizures would be high up on the list. If so, medications are usually very successful.
Stopping training at this point is a safety measure. You could get hurt if you blanked when you should have blocked. But you will quite likely be able to start training again when things are under control.
Hopefully they're referring you to a neurologist and/or scheduling an EEG.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that something like this happening to you. I hope the reason for it is an easy fix.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scary. I'd quit training while I figured it out, too. Hope to hear soon that you're back out there training, making other folks wish they could forget what you just did to them.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Get second opinion. If you love the art, you can still do forms, and teaching, without contact. I know several people who train with health issues.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hope it all goes well for you. MA will always be there when you're ready to return.

Perhaps a stupid question... Are you driving? Blacking out behind the wheel would be worse than blacking out during MA training. Not just for you, but for everyone around you. It happened to a friend of mine recently. He had no previous history, and had a seizure while driving. Fortunately his wife was in the passenger seat and steered the car into a tree rather than oncoming traffic. He just got out of the hospital after almost 5 months. His wife was out in 2 months.

Not trying to scare you, but it happens.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow... very scary. Follow your medical team's advice and guidance, but consider that "training" can include things like forms/kata/solo drills done at appropriate pace and intensity, and that the mental exercise and stress relief might be of some benefit. Even just reviewing (or writing for the first time) your notes can be a form of training...

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's strange, I wish you well and I am sure whatever it is they can fix it and youll be back in the dojo in no time at all. Modern medicine has come a long way.

SenseiHitman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is the fight we all face one day, hang up the gi or no?

If I may kindly suggest, keep wearing it. If you are able, find a quiet place where you can relax a bit and call up old memories of demanding/painful training sessions you have faced in the past. Practice your breathing exercise and enjoy the fact you can take a nice deep breath while remembering the training. Set this time aside for yourself whenever possible. Even if its only a few short minutes a day. In this way, I feel you can avoid hanging up the gi. Another practice I would suggest is wear your gi and watch footage of yourself demonstrating/competing or training etc.(assuming you have some) Who knows? if you put your mind to it you may be able to get back on the mat if even to practice the simplest of motions.

"To fall seven times, to rise eight times, life starts from now."
Bodhidharma

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like TIA's (Transient Ischemic Attacks). Sort of like a "mini-stroke" but caused not by an occlusion/blockage, but by temporary flow constriction most times.

Or, could be something else.. Listen tot he docs, they'll get you fixed up and once out of the transient "repair" phase, you'll probably/hopefully be able to get back out ont he mat! We get older, stuff happens. Bodies wear out, even when the spirit is willing, able & eager.

Latest Discussions