Weight lifting useless?

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
Now you're talking my language. The biggest issue in strength and conditioning is people getting too caught up on "systems" and not simply busting tail and getting better. You've got to kind of take the Bruce Lee approach to it and "be like water." If you are tightly wound to one "system" or style of training you are missing something and limiting yourself.

Oh yes, we are in agreement 100% (at the moment :) )

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
No, I'm not a hook-line-and-sinker HIT guy. I use it, but I cycle through it. I do about five weeks of it...just to REALLY shock my body into some growth. I have five phases that I cycle through. ONE of them is even HVT, the polar opposite of HIT. Then I switch it around somemore. I'm a bit more of a traditionalist usually; still like a lot of thing that Arnold put in his HUGE book. But when you're at a sticking point...there's nothin like "HIT". HARD/INTENSE...great for building power!!! But I think that TOO much of it (for me, more than 6 weeks) harms the joints and the connective tissues.... TOO much stress for tooo long.
Yates was a Hero of mine too, but check out that Pec-tear!!!! Not good.

Dont forget the tricep torn apart too

I do think sometimes when BBers in particular get these tears it could/would be down too the "drugs" that some of these people use
a muscle grows in strength very quickly whilst on AAs, however the tendons get stronger at a much slower pace so when put into a "HIT" type position of pushing extreme weight like that the MTJ (muscle tenon join) is much more likely to snap.
Its a common injury without AAs usage, magnified by them.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
samurai69 said:
Dont forget the tricep torn apart too

I do think sometimes when BBers in particular get these tears it could/would be down too the "drugs" that some of these people use
a muscle grows in strength very quickly whilst on AAs, however the tendons get stronger at a much slower pace so when put into a "HIT" type position of pushing extreme weight like that the MTJ (muscle tenon join) is much more likely to snap.
Its a common injury without AAs usage, magnified by them.

That's a good point. Also, don't forget that the typical bodybuilding program doesn't take into consideration training for "structural strength" instead it will have a heavy focus on the muscles as that is what the sport is all about...

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
That's a good point. Also, don't forget that the typical bodybuilding program doesn't take into consideration training for "structural strength" instead it will have a heavy focus on the muscles as that is what the sport is all about...

Exactly, that is why i like the old time lifters, they built strong functional and, by comparison, big bodies..........."structural strength" and they did it without modern supplements and with relatively basic weights (kettlebells etc:) )

OP
J

JamesYazell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well I have recently begun a program of diet along with some cardio, free weights, and body weight excercises! I am really enjoying it and my body is feeling good already! :)

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
JamesYazell said:
Well I have recently begun a program of diet along with some cardio, free weights, and body weight excercises! I am really enjoying it and my body is feeling good already! :)

Good.:asian:

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
so shirt ripper, a strongman and an aikdoka...........Intersting :)

JamesYazell...........great, keep at it and enjoy :)

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
samurai69 said:
so shirt ripper, a strongman and an aikdoka...........Intersting :)
JamesYazell...........great, keep at it and enjoy :)

I like exploring disciplines and the acquisition of skills.

I have found much parallel between Aikido and throwing (discus, hammer, shot, weight for distance, etc.) which has helped me to grasp the aikido techniques.

Aikido, as it appears now, will likely be a breif encounter, unfortunately.

Latest Discussions