Weapons and behavior

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I always carry a knife, sometimes I carry my walking stick as well. This doesn't change my behavior or where I am willing to go.

Honestly my knife is a tool primarily. Same with my walking stick. I prefer not to use anything to harm another person. However I am well trained in doing so if needed.
My knife is the only tool that I carry literally everywhere with me (within legal limits of course) and it is the most amazing tool I own. I have had a knife on me ever since survival training. And I paid a few hundred for my fixed blade so I could guarantee an exceptional knife. I can cut the lock out of a car door with it if I had to (i tested it at a junk yard to confirm the claims of the smith that made it. I don't see why I will NEED this capability, but it's pretty awesome to know my knife won't break or dull with normal use.)

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you carry weapons routinely? Does it shape your behavior? Do you go places you might not ordinarily -- or avoid places that you wouldn't if unarmed? Is it different with different weapons, like legally carrying a gun or a knife? What about if the knife is really more tool than weapon?
Do I carry weapons routinely?
no. Neither my profession nor average environment warrants it. How ever I keep many weapons strategically place in and around my home and in my vehicle. I also go walking at night with a 3' wooden stick. But really....that's nothing but a dog deterrent. The end of town I live on is notorious for strays.

Does carrying a weapon change my behavior?
yes and no.
Yes in that I'm mindful of its location for retention purposes and of where I go. I'd not carry my bolo into the local grocery store. Also....I'd not take my handgun anywhere near a school.

Does possession of a weapon change where I'd go.
Absolutely. But that depends on the weapon and the nature of the environment you're choosing to go into. Like I said before, due to my aversion to going to prison and losing my job, I'll never take a weapon near a school or polling location.

What if the knife were really more of a tool than a weapon?
I'm not totally on board with the distinction. There are scant few tools that can't be made into weapons and visa versa. Sometimes the distinction is sharper....true. Like I could hammer in a nail with my telescopic metal baton. Inefficient, but doable. I'm a big advocate of learning to fight with whatever comes to hand.
I like the mindset that says:
i and everything I can grab is a tool and a weapon...the usefulness is limited only by your own ability to perceive and adapt.

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions