carrying weapons influence

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For many, once a martial artist starts to carry a weapon - any weapon- their hand to hand training methodology and philosophy often develops a weapitude, a seriousness in training. It does not take long for a martial artist who carries weapons to realize that many others also carry weapons and that just having the weapon on the body is not enough but deployment of the tool also becomes an area of study. The hand to hand training will often noticeably alter as the realizations of armed conflict emerge such as how quickly and easily a weapon can be deployed and how long and difficult a weapon deployment can take- depending on which side of the weapon one is on. This often either gives motivation to do the work or to hide from it. The training of techniques that require two hands on one often become thought of as the study of leverage, angles, and deployment exercises, rather than as practical techniques to be considered during an altercation. The realization on the lethalness, suddenness, and ruthlessness, of weapons work will often alter the perception of what a physical conflict is and can look like.

There is also a fear trap that some who carry weapons can easily fall into. There begins a transformation from seeing the tool as a tool shifting to begin seeing it as a shield, a talisman to ward off the fear. This can be seen manifested by the need to have the latest, biggest, baddest weapon no matter that the current has worked for years. This fear trap can also be seen by the altered behavior of a false sense of security and machismo to tread onward even when common sense says to turn around.

There are many different influences on our martial training. So, how has the carrying weapons or the decision to not carry weapons influenced your own martial training or the training of your training partners?

Regards
Brian King

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
It has not altered my training, but then I began training in hand to hand later in life then some. I have trained with fire arms since I was 5, and so was always very aware of the ramifications of fire arms and other weapons compared to many I have known.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting question Brian. I do believe the "fear trap" and concern about the weapon becoming a talisman or a shield, is a valid one. In fairness, I also suspect there may be a "purist trap" where one may think weapons training is unnecessary for self defense.

Personally in my own course of training, I left a predominantly empty hand art to train in the FMAs as I wanted to add practical weapons to my repertoire. I also took up firearms marksmanship and learned a wee bit about archery as well. I don't have any illusions that carrying a tool or weapon can keep me safe and out of trouble -- but I also don't live under the illusion that all conflict can be avoided.

Latest Discussions