We Did It!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My eldest son and I have been advancing in TKD together and Saturday September 8th (hey, 9/8/7 should be easy to remember!), we both passed our testing for 1st Dan. It was a tough two and half hours and my dobak was absolutely soaked with sweat. I'm glad it ended up being a mild day, temperaturewise. Because we were testing at the same time, I didn't really get to see my son test, but he felt really good about it. I was nervous all week leading up to the testing, but I got to the testing site early and started warming up and stretching out, thinking through my requirements, and steady breathing and I felt less nervous testing than I felt in the week leading up to the test. I kept in mind many of the great suggestions in threads on this forum for people about to test. "Relax." "You wouldn't be testing if your instructor didn't think you were ready." "Breathe." "You know it, just show it." Thank you my MA Sisters and Brothers for being such a wonderful and supporting community!!!

The last 20-30 minutes we did free sparring. I felt like I was holding my own except against this one guy. I couldn't do anything and he was quick. I thought I had an opening to exploit and then I would feel his glove up side my head. Basically, he kicked my butt. Sunday, in my other class they knew I was testing and were interested in how I did, so I told them I passed and felt good and also told them about the free sparring. I mentioned the name of the guy that really handed it to me in sparring and one of the other students said, "Oh him? I've never seen him go into a competition without bringing home the 6' trophy. I think he has done very well in international competitions too." I'm glad he had great control!

As I mentioned in another thread, I am really proud of my son. Like most of us, it's not like MA is all he has on his plate. He is a 10th grader and a consistent 4.0 GPA student, he lettered in two sports as a freshman (soccer and wrestling) and is an all around good kid. I had received mine just before him, and I was asked to stand in the presentation line up front with our instructor and the GM. Seeing him run up to be presented with his black belt was a great moment.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats to you both!!!!!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations, guys!!

:highfive: Well done—go celebrate, you've earned it! :highfive:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
:partyon::partyon::partyon:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations to you both!!!! What a great experience to share with your son.
:partyon: :partyon: :partyon: :partyon:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hearty well-dones to you both - getting to that first big hurdle is no mean achievement and a sign that you have both the committment and talent to learn.

By a quirk of the difference between American and English date format, I too graded up on 9/8/7 - except for me it was Sunday the 9th September 2007 rather than Saturday the 8th :D.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ROFL - okay, I admit it ... total brain wibble on my part above ... {teachers voice}"What numeric month is September, Mark? ... hmm? ... I'm waiting ..."{/teacher}

These things are sent to keep us humble, I'm sure :D.

OP
C

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A Black Belt is simply a White Belt who never gave up!
Way to stick with it!
Congrats!!!