Testing Too Early

T

tkdcanada

I think to a point the responsibility for your training rests with you and only you. Let me clarify what I mean. Your instructor is invaluable, probably the most important aspect of your training - but on the other hand, your training is a personal journey and you need to advance in such a way that makes YOU comfortable. I would think that a good instructor would understand and welcome a student that takes his training so seriously. Afterall, if the student has such high expectations of himself, it must be because this is how he was trained by his instructor; therefore, it should be seen by the instructor as a compliment more than anything. That being said, if you do indeed possess a good relationship with your instructor and you trust his opinion, then you can frankly discuss your concerns about your readiness and if he thinks you're just being too hard on yourself, then he will likely gently encourage you rather than get insulted at your doubting. Just something to think about.

F

fissure

progressivetactics
1: depends on who a particular instructor is. In today's MA world not every "instructor" has the most pure of intentions, when it comes to accelerated testing. (especially when a handsome fee is attached)
2: my problem comes not so much from seeing our students in the terms you are talking about. Yes, I expect a certain level of proficiency (barring individual limitations) above and beyond that shown the last time they were tested. Obviously not everyone has above average athletic ability -- there will always be stand outs. What I do expect is effort, sweat, and an understanding of what they are doing. It seems that "learning" Taeguek six, doing some semblance of a hook kick and breaking a board that most untrained people could break, will in far to many dojang , get you your next belt.
I understand what you are saying about trusting your teacher. Assuming that he/she does have your bestmartial artinterests at heart your point is quite valid. Most practitioners with
only a few years of experience under their belts will probably have a distorted view of thier advancement.

To those who are unsure of wether to test or not - I think you have to do what you feel comfortable with. Your goals are your own, and they will probably change over yrs and even decades of training. Only you (insert non descript reader's name here!) can make an assessment of your instructors motivation, for pushing someone forward, or holding them back. Judging the quality of any particular instructor has become one of the most important skills for up and coming martial artists these days.If these interesting disscusions keep up, I may have to check in more often!!