Was told to not come back to the class!

Disappointed

White Belt
Reaction score
On Monday, I finally decided to try out for the gym that my roommate who is a professional kickboxer trains at. It was a painful experience. I’ve known my roommate was part of this team for a while and have had a chance to meet few of the guys on the team.

Those guys are the reason I finally decided to try my hands at martial arts. Those guys are some of the nicest and classiest guys I’ve ever met. They are also very close knitted team that are more like a family than anything.
However when I told my roommate I want to try out for the team, he wasn’t too warm by the idea. He pretty much told me that the team generally doesn’t let people come in and try out, they usually invite people in. He told me to go and train somewhere else for a while then may I can try out.
I don’t want to train at place where there are bunches of new people coming in all the time and I’m just another face there and have to prove myself before I can even be a fighter. So I talk my roommate into let me try out. He finally says I can try out.

I showed up on Monday for the first time. It was horrible. The warm up was so hard that I end up throw up afterward. It just gets much harder from there. They move onto circuit work out which I have to sit out. They finally end up doing some techniques work which I joined.
Last night, I showed up to try again. I barely made it through warm up half way before having to sit out so I don’t throw up again. They then move onto technique work and sparring. During sparring, I sat out again. That wasn’t end of it, they went out to do some cardio work. That’s when I packed up and the coach come to me and told me to not come back until I am ready to stick to the class!

I cannot believe their callousness! I considers myself a pretty fit guy (I played football in high school and used to train for firefight and work out 3 days a week) but the work out was just so hard and they doesn’t seems to even care that I was trying. They just expect me to keep up and when I cannot, they told me to not come back!
Anything I can do about this? How can I ask coach for help? I’d like to be on the team but I cannot last through the class without some break.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Monday, I finally decided to try out for the gym that my roommate who is a professional kickboxer trains at. It was a painful experience. I’ve known my roommate was part of this team for a while and have had a chance to meet few of the guys on the team.

Those guys are the reason I finally decided to try my hands at martial arts. Those guys are some of the nicest and classiest guys I’ve ever met. They are also very close knitted team that are more like a family than anything.
However when I told my roommate I want to try out for the team, he wasn’t too warm by the idea. He pretty much told me that the team generally doesn’t let people come in and try out, they usually invite people in. He told me to go and train somewhere else for a while then may I can try out.
I don’t want to train at place where there are bunches of new people coming in all the time and I’m just another face there and have to prove myself before I can even be a fighter. So I talk my roommate into let me try out. He finally says I can try out.

I showed up on Monday for the first time. It was horrible. The warm up was so hard that I end up throw up afterward. It just gets much harder from there. They move onto circuit work out which I have to sit out. They finally end up doing some techniques work which I joined.
Last night, I showed up to try again. I barely made it through warm up half way before having to sit out so I don’t throw up again. They then move onto technique work and sparring. During sparring, I sat out again. That wasn’t end of it, they went out to do some cardio work. That’s when I packed up and the coach come to me and told me to not come back until I am ready to stick to the class!

I cannot believe their callousness! I considers myself a pretty fit guy (I played football in high school and used to train for firefight and work out 3 days a week) but the work out was just so hard and they doesn’t seems to even care that I was trying. They just expect me to keep up and when I cannot, they told me to not come back!
Anything I can do about this? How can I ask coach for help? I’d like to be on the team but I cannot last through the class without some break.

I'm going to sound callous -- but you were warned. You didn't listen. Someone falling out of the workout repeatedly is a disruption. Someone wanting to do only parts of the workout is disruptive. Having to walk you through exercises may well be a disruption.

Go somewhere else. Train up to the club, and let your roommate (and other club members) see that you're ready, and they may invite you back. You're not ready for it right now.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to sound callous -- but you were warned. You didn't listen. Someone falling out of the workout repeatedly is a disruption. Someone wanting to do only parts of the workout is disruptive. Having to walk you through exercises may well be a disruption.

Go somewhere else. Train up to the club, and let your roommate (and other club members) see that you're ready, and they may invite you back. You're not ready for it right now.

There you have it. It's not a movie. It's not a feel good musical. It's serious. You didn't listen. Now you know. Now listen to the advice given & go forward from there. Develop the body & develop the mindset. What killed you wasn't your physical conditioning solely. You're mind wasn't into it.

Most people can't keep up with my work out & I'm out of shape. There'd be no way I'd try an organized team like that because "I think I'm good enough".

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

From what you've written above, this is obviously a fairly elite group of athletes who are training very hard. Although we all like to imagine that we could keep up and fit in, the reality (as you found out) is often quite different.

Personally, I think the coach was doing you a favor (albeit a blunt one) when he told you not to come back until you were able to keep up... pushing that far past your current capacity on a regular basis is a great way to get injured.

If you really want to be a part of this team, you might want to set an appointment with the coach to see if he can recommend other training programs (with him, elsewhere, or on your own) that can help get you up to speed. Ask for a frank assessment of what you need to be able to do to keep up with the class, and work towards it. Even if you don't reach that mark, you'll end up "wasting time" improving your fitness levels and getting in better shape. Maybe some private sessions would be in order?

You could also ask your room-mate to help design and implement a workout plan with you.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First of all: Welcome to MT! Why not stop over at the Meet and Greet section and tell us a bit more about yourself.

Second:

He pretty much told me that the team generally doesn’t let people come in and try out, they usually invite people in.

Sounds like you found out why.

He told me to go and train somewhere else for a while then may I can try out.
I don’t want to train at place where there are bunches of new people coming in all the time and I’m just another face there and have to prove myself before I can even be a fighter.

You used the word "Team." Sounds like something in which the membership is "earned". There are plenty of other places where you can go that you don't have to prove yourself, but most of them are on the internet.

Anything I can do about this?

Yes. Follow their advice - get some training somewhere else, improve your fitness, EARN your spot on the team.

How can I ask coach for help?

You can't. Get stronger or get over it.

I’d like to be on the team but I cannot last through the class without some break.

Sounds like you're not ready for the team then.

I understand wanting to be part of something that you're just not ready for, but the cold and hard fact is that (based on your post) you aren't physically ready for their level of training. Can you get there - very likely. Will it take work - Hell yeah. Are they going to let you on the team when you aren't ready so that you can drag the team down to your current level. No.

Bring yourself up to their level, don't expect them to come down to yours. Come up with an exercise plan (get your roomate to help you when he's not with the team), just don't think that they owe you anything to include a break or a spot on the team.

Good luck!

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anything I can do about this? How can I ask coach for help?
I think if you are keen to join this group, you ask the coach as directly as you can, under what circumstances would they be happy to invite you to join. At least if you have "formal" criteria then you will have something to work towards and are less likely to be turned down for spurious reasons. Either that or you will at least find out that they do not want new members at all. I wish you well. Must have been full-on that you chucked up lol :) Welcome to MT, hope you psot some more on your (unusual) experiences. Jenna.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I do not believe, not for one minute, that any of this post is true.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's places where you don't throw up during warm ups? We often have people sticking their heads out of the fire doors to throw up even fit soldiers do as it's often a different type of fitness training than they are used to, we use sledgehammers on big truck tyres, we have an excercise where everyone picks up a judo mat on their back and squatting, goes round the gym (a big gym hall) with it, kettlebells, sprawls and lots of other stuff that because it's different to 'normal' warm ups and fitness training pushes bodies. The end result is we have fit fighters and that makes all the difference between winning and losing a fight. The army PTI's have been watching us and have started incorporating some of our stuff into the soldiers. It also stops it being boring.
One of our fitness coaches is a Scots Guards Sgt.Maj, the other a Para Regt PTI.
We train MMA, we have new people starting all the time, they are given training appropriate to their level, we don't expect them to be arrogant and want to take on the experienced fighters. If you want to fight, yes you have to prove yourself even for an amateur fight. It's common sense for us to be concerned over fighter safety, we want fighters to prove their competency before they are allowed to fight in the cage. To expect otherwise is foolish. If you can't deal with being a newbie and behave humbly you will find it hard to fit in anywhere tbh.

'Disappointed', I'm sure you are but you've had some good advice here, nothing I'll add to other than to say welcome to MT and if you follow the good advice I think you'll be pleased you did. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Anybody else appreaciate the irony here? "I'm the new guy, but I don't want to train someplace that trains new people", "I want to join this elite team, but I don't want to have to prove myself"...

Get over it. Join a group of new people and get fit. Spend a ton of time training. And then, if they ASK you to join, you'll know you're ready.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
My 2 sons went through p90X and got in what I considered great shape. One of them wasn't satisfies and went on to do Crossfit.
Either/both of these will serve to get you in shape.
Plus join a MA school that is similar in approach (style wise) to the one your buddy belongs to and work your **** off.
Give it time ( months) and you'll be ready to re try.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not believe, not for one minute, that any of this post is true.

I can believe it... if some of the people who contact us for matching on fight nights are anything to go by! I've seen the same arrogance from them, after all how hard can it be to do martial arts!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
It only seems "Callous" because youre the one being affected by it.

But consider that they not only allowed you to try once, but twice.
They LET YOU TRY AGAIN.
And they let you try at all, when they probably knew the odds were against you.
For no reason other than to be polite.

And yeah, you cannot keep up with them. Why do you think People dont try and get into these types of things until they can cut it?
Consider that all of them can cut it. But they werent born like that.
They became like that, and then they joined up.

Train Hard. Because now you know what Hard Training looks like. And because however youve Trained until now has probably been Soft by comparison.
Get with it, or go somewere more around your level, simply.

:)

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Look, they didn`t say "don`t ever come back". They said "don`t come back until you`re ready to hang with us without slowing us down". That means the respnsability of getting into better shape is yours. (Talk to your roommate again, without any ego ie: REALLY listen to his advice and see if you need to build a foundation of technique they can polish as well, or if it`s just conditioning you need.)

You say that you`re in shape because you play sports, that`s great. But you`re obviously not in the same kind of shape those guys are in. Spend some time somewhere else getting in shape and building a foundation of skill so that you`ve got something to work with. Don`t assume they have enough time to stopp their own training to focus on taking you from zero to hero. That`s not being a good training partner. It`s not too different from wanting to lift weights with someone 3x your size: Yeah, they could help you....but you aren`t strong enough to realistically give them a spot that would keep them from getting injured.

wildcat91

White Belt
Reaction score
Agreed why don't you read what you just wrote from their perspective. If you were able to keep up, I'm sure you could have stayed. Now you kow what the expectations are and you have a goal.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
At a guess... No. "Disappointed" rings like a one-use screenname. And they didn't get a pat on the back about how poorly they were treated. Oh well...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At a guess... No. "Disappointed" rings like a one-use screenname. And they didn't get a pat on the back about how poorly they were treated. Oh well...

Oh dear how sad never mind. :)

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The OP refers to his roommate as a "professional kickboxer." I can't think of any professional sport where I could show up on the practice field with zero experience or knowledge in the sport and expect to keep up or be welcome. I couldn't show up at an NFL practice and say "hey guys, I do some sports, let me join your workouts. Teach me how this game works." I couldn't show up at an NBA practice and expect to run baseline suicides and ask Kobe to show me how to dribble and pass. They warned him, then they showed him, and somehow they're the a-holes? THEY'RE PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES. That's a whole different level. If you aren't, you can't. Period. Now you might be able to train up to that level, but nobody with zero experience can play as a walk on. It's really that simple. Everybody starts at the beginning. To me, this smacks of arrogance and a complete lack of understanding of what martial arts really is and what it takes to be a pro. -Rob

Latest Discussions