Competition Teams

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Back in June, I started a competition team and with it a separate competition only class. To get on the team one must try out. During the try out I put them through a grueling 30 mintues of warm ups including a drill of suicide runs where they have to improve their time at least twice. If not they continue to run them until they improve them. If they show up for the next practice...they make the team. :)

Now I charge for the extra class, $25.00 a month, and the class is dedicated ONLY to competition aspect of martial arts. The class is broken down, currently, into a 10 minute warm up period, followed by 30 mintues of form practice and then, 30 minutes of sparring practice. Those who wish to just do forms are welcome to continue with forms practice. Along with their monthly fee there is a uniform which they will purchase. They can wear this uniform during their regular class as well to distinguish themselves as a member of the team. So my question to everyone is if you do anything similar and what all do you do for these types of classes, if you do have them.

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For my competition team, I was not a "drill sergeant" seeing who can "last".
To make my team, all one had to do was "sign up".
I did not charge "extra" for the team.
With the costs of entering competitions on a individual level, it didn't make sense to add to these costs with extra fees.
I gave "incentives for people signing up for the team.
My competition team did me a "service" as they "advertised" the school

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do something similar though with kobudo. The participants in the class will have opportunities to learn additional kata and weapons not part of the regular curriculum. I've also taken to offering belt ranks in kobudo, not exactly a traditional deal but it gives the students something to work for and they like it. Students in the kobudo program can wear a black crossover dogi if they wish.

Right now everyone in the kobudo program is either a TKD or Goju-ryu student of mine. I'd like to grow it and get at least half of the class members from outside with a goal of pulling them into the TKD program when they see the quality instruction and excellent facilities/amenities offered.

OP
miguksaram

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I do something similar though with kobudo. The participants in the class will have opportunities to learn additional kata and weapons not part of the regular curriculum. I've also taken to offering belt ranks in kobudo, not exactly a traditional deal but it gives the students something to work for and they like it. Students in the kobudo program can wear a black crossover dogi if they wish.

Right now everyone in the kobudo program is either a TKD or Goju-ryu student of mine. I'd like to grow it and get at least half of the class members from outside with a goal of pulling them into the TKD program when they see the quality instruction and excellent facilities/amenities offered.
That is a pretty good idea. Thanks.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our comp team is broken up into two teams. Team A and Team B. Team A is elite and trains differently than Team B. Team B works to get to Team A status. Both compete but workout differently. Team A has the muscle memory and the needed coordination to train at a higher level. Team B does more drills to develop that muscle memory and coordination. Very hard to train higher levels with lower levels and get the results you want for both.

You do not have to try out but you will be evaluated during regular class. Once on Team B and we feel you can train and keep up with Team A members you are then moved up to Team A.

Cost is a flat rate separate from normal fees. The cost will pay for the instructors time as we train off hours 7PM to 10PM twice a week and weekends 6AM-9AM. A month before major tournaments we train daily, twice a day and sometimes 3 times a day. Very time consuming, and body taxing, not many stay the course. But those that do usually are at the top of their division.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Along with their monthly fee there is a uniform which they will purchase. They can wear this uniform during their regular class as well to distinguish themselves as a member of the team.

Why do they wear a different uniform than your other students?

Also, are the people on the competition team the only ones who go to tournaments? Or do they just focus more on com[etition training?

Pax,

Chris

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Never said I was a drill segeant. Just put them through a rigorous training.

What kind of incentives did you offer?

That type of rigourous training just to "make" the cut is militant-like. IMHO

Although, I do agree that competitiom teams have to study more, it should be a pleasure/privelege and not a burden

As the other poster stated, I had taught extra stuff, gave uniforms, gave weapons, took them to events and dinner, etc.

Mainly, because they had to fork out their own fees at the tournies, I did not charge them to become part of a team, that ultimately represented the school and me-my instruction.

Simply, when we won, we got noticed-well noticed

It came to pass, that everyone wanted to be part of the team, and it-itself, became more of a incentive for non-team students to do better in regular class

OP
miguksaram

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our comp team is broken up into two teams. Team A and Team B. Team A is elite and trains differently than Team B. Team B works to get to Team A status. Both compete but workout differently. Team A has the muscle memory and the needed coordination to train at a higher level. Team B does more drills to develop that muscle memory and coordination. Very hard to train higher levels with lower levels and get the results you want for both.
Very nice. Sharkey's Karate does something similar by breaking down the items in to two separate classes, Phase 1 and Phase 2 (Phase 2 being the more advance). Since I just started this program, all of our students are beginners. Perhaps in the future I can follow suit and have two separate classes.

OP
miguksaram

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why do they wear a different uniform than your other students?
Well a couple of reasons, the first one is because the parents are paying for another uniform, so I want the them to get as much use out of it as possible, since tournaments, at this point, are only once a month at most. Another reason is that it gives them a bit of self pride to be part of a small group within the school. The team members, when accepted sign an agreement that they will do their best to attend all their classes, to be the example of hard work and dedication both in the school and outside the school in other avenues they may persue. They are also required to maintain better than average GPA's in their regular school work.

Also, are the people on the competition team the only ones who go to tournaments? Or do they just focus more on competition training?
Anyone can go to a tournament. The ones on the team are the ones who are putting in the extra effort to train specifically for tournaments. I do not mix tournament training with my regular classes. Nor do I allow people to take tournament class to make up for missing regular classes. If I find that the person is intentionally skipping their regular classes or not doing as well as they should in their regular classes then they will be suspended from the team until such time they show improvement.

As a bonus to being on the team, I do offer discounts on competition equipment as well as new school uniforms and t-shirts.

OP
miguksaram

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That type of rigourous training just to "make" the cut is militant-like. IMHO
I guess it could come off that way. My overall goal is to make them feel like they earned a spot on the team, instead of just giving them a spot. It has been my experience that when they feel like they worked hard and earned it they tend to take it a bit more seriously and get more out of it.

Although, I do agree that competitiom teams have to study more, it should be a pleasure/privelege and not a burden
I never make it a burden. I do my best to instill a since of pride in them for making the team and to practice hard both on and off the mat. They are taught from day one that they will be the over decision in whether or not they do well in competition, simply by putting in the work needed to be where they want to be.

As the other poster stated, I had taught extra stuff, gave uniforms, gave weapons, took them to events and dinner, etc.
Mainly, because they had to fork out their own fees at the tournies, I did not charge them to become part of a team, that ultimately represented the school and me-my instruction. Simply, when we won, we got noticed-well noticed

It came to pass, that everyone wanted to be part of the team, and it-itself, became more of a incentive for non-team students to do better in regular class
Awesome! Why type of tournaments do you do? Sport Karate, Taekwondo, BJJ....ect?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
...Simply, when we won, we got noticed-well noticed...
Not sure how much competition drives business. Yes if you have some good students you will be known around the tournament world but how does that drive business or people to your school. Many choose a school that is local to them. And those people looking for a school usually are beginners that have never been to a tournament to know anything about your school. Even word of mouth would only be between those that compete and are already at a school. Maybe you would get some business if a person just happen to move in the area that knew of your school via tournments. But other than that I really don't see even winning at the Olympic level driving that much business.

Not a single student from our school has ever left to go to another school because of anyone winning at a tournament. Nor has any stayed or come to our school because we have won at tournaments.

I don't thing winning at tournaments is that big of a marketing promotion. Just my $.02

OP
miguksaram

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not sure how much competition drives business. Yes if you have some good students you will be known around the tournament world but how does that drive business or people to your school. Many choose a school that is local to them. And those people looking for a school usually are beginners that have never been to a tournament to know anything about your school. Even word of mouth would only be between those that compete and are already at a school. Maybe you would get some business if a person just happen to move in the area that knew of your school via tournments. But other than that I really don't see even winning at the Olympic level driving that much business.

Not a single student from our school has ever left to go to another school because of anyone winning at a tournament. Nor has any stayed or come to our school because we have won at tournaments.

I don't thing winning at tournaments is that big of a marketing promotion. Just my $.02

It can drive some business to the school to a point. Sharkey's Karate is well known in the sport karate circuit. As such we have people come in from other schools to do private lessons and to attend our training camps. However, that is business from inside the sport karate world. For the outside world, you are correct, we rarely, if ever get anyone who has never trained in martial arts come to the school in hopes to be a top sport karate star some day. :)

How it can help a bit in marketing because people are still impressed when you put down that you train national champions or world champions (if either could apply). If you spin it right you can say by producing great competitors, you are also producing kids with good work ethics, discipline and self confidence. Just have to know how to put it in perspective on the flyer.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A lot of people in my area also use the competition team as a demo team. So the kiddos get to go perform at festivals, etc. It can create some interest and sign-ups done well.

OP
miguksaram

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A lot of people in my area also use the competition team as a demo team. So the kiddos get to go perform at festivals, etc. It can create some interest and sign-ups done well.
Eventually we will be doing this as well. My first goal is to just get them into the training and competitions. We currently have 4 people on the team, but two could not make the last couple of competitions due to being out of town for summer vacation. But the two who made it did a great job and had a lot of fun. In September I'm hoping to take all four to a local tournament.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
It can drive some business to the school to a point. Sharkey's Karate is well known in the sport karate circuit. As such we have people come in from other schools to do private lessons and to attend our training camps. However, that is business from inside the sport karate world. For the outside world, you are correct, we rarely, if ever get anyone who has never trained in martial arts come to the school in hopes to be a top sport karate star some day. :)
Yes this much is true but such a small part. We do get people in the tourney world that want to cross train or participate in seminars and as I stated if they happen to move into the area we would be the school of choice but that is about it.

How it can help a bit in marketing because people are still impressed when you put down that you train national champions or world champions (if either could apply). If you spin it right you can say by producing great competitors, you are also producing kids with good work ethics, discipline and self confidence. Just have to know how to put it in perspective on the flyer.
I am not sure how much any of that got them in the door. I think they come becuase you are close and they were looking for a school and your flyer with your address did more than any of the words. Put a pretty picture with some high kicks and some cute kids and your address and I bet it does just as good. Yes make sure to add the discipline and self confidence as well. The other stuff is gravy.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes this works but does not have to be the comp team as no one will even know that. But Demos have long been the way to promote in your local area. Your Demo team is usually just that, the Demo Team. They put the "Art" in Martial Art.

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I had received many new students from tournies.

Some form other schools, some wer as spectators

To also mention, if there was a media coverage, yep........

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I LV we have picked up up about 10 students this year just from attending tournaments...did a local tournament last weekend picked up 4 more...

Latest Discussions