Want to Lift Weights

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
So the weight lifting hasn't been a consistent thing this past month, except for the last week. I have been doing the owie owie owie thing a lot with my quads again, however, not nearly as bad as it was. I am trying to train smarter because lifting weights and then needing four days to recover really isn't accomplishing a whole lot. :)

Anyways... I have been noticing with my shooting that my lower back becomes sore. I need to strengthen that part of my body and would like some specific exercises to help with that if anyone would care to share some with me. Thanks in advance.

Lisa

There is some merit to a longer recovery period...depending on training style, but I doubt you are utilizing those ideas.

Do you train (lift weights) in a fitness facility? If you do you will likely have access to a glute-ham raise (http://www.eiu.edu/~strength/images/lifts/Lower/gh2.jpg) or a back extension stand(http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/WtBackExtension.html). Use either to do back extensions. Don't worry about using weight as demonstrated above. I would say that you can go a bit farther with your range of motion at the top and the bottom as well...maybe 20 degree further at the top. Start with higher rep sets and build from there. Do not jump the gun as it might bite you...

Otherwise there are many more compound movements which hold equal or greater merit for this purpose.

'good day.:)

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
Otherwise there are many more compound movements which hold equal or greater merit for this purpose.

'good day.:)

Please...feel free to continue :)

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Please...feel free to continue :)

Okay.
I missed the "shooting" aspect of the issue. Simply training diligently with that will strengthen a bit...but you knew that. Squat, Overhead squat, front squat, zercher squat (I probably wouldn't recomend those though...), Good mornings, Deadlift, Romanian Deadlift, stiff legged deadlift, Extensions (f/ above), cleans and snatches. A lot of options...

I recommend a focus on movements that require the "trunk" of the body to stabalize as that is it's primary purpose (not crunches). So, overhead pressing while keeping strict posture is an excellent idea and I would also highly recommend squatting...holding the weight on the shoulders will require great adaptation of the stabalizing function of the body.

Hmm...I'll think on it a bit more...

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Shirt Ripper. When I am in position on the line and my hips are tilted forward and cocked to one side toward the target, I feel a pull in my back starting just below each shoulder and down into my lower back. I think it is the rhomboidous major muscle or the latissimus dorsai or a combination, I just don't know. I figure I need to stretch better and build all the muscles in my back.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Thanks Shirt Ripper. When I am in position on the line and my hips are tilted forward and cocked to one side toward the target, I feel a pull in my back starting just below each shoulder and down into my lower back. I think it is the rhomboidous major muscle or the latissimus dorsai or a combination, I just don't know. I figure I need to stretch better and build all the muscles in my back.

Alright. Your new(er) to the bow correct? Just like anything else your body will make the adjustments needed to effectively perform, but...

If you want to take it to the weightroom to help I suggest overhead pressing and rowing. With the pressing (DB's or BB's) focus on strict form and solid posture (as discussed, I believe in another thread), this will really stress the rhomboids, lats, post delts as the antagonists/synergists of the movement. I suggest unilateral bent DB rows to stress the independent pulling action of the arms. Really squeeze the shoulder blade back and actively contract the lats. If you can manage pull ups work them hard, if not lat pulls can be effective as well. Again, not just the arms are moving-really squeeze the shoulder blades together and contract the lats.

Recap:
Overhead Press - strict form
DB Rows - Rhomboid/Lat action more important than arm movement
*straight bar can be used free of any support from bench - one of the best upper body movements
Pull ups/lat pull - Scapular retraction is key

Also, simple body weight pushups can be very effective here depending on your training history.

I believe I touched on Back extensions and stuff in a previous post, mix in some of these ideas with some of those...but don't go nuts for doughnuts, ya know? Work slowly into it...you know.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
Alright. Your new(er) to the bow correct?

Bow? You've been shooting! I don't know why I was thinking bow and arrow there...oh well...the ideas will still apply.:idunno:

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
Bow? You've been shooting! I don't know why I was thinking bow and arrow there...oh well...the ideas will still apply.:idunno:

hee hee, tis okay Shirt Ripper, it made me laugh when I read it this morning. :)

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
How are things coming here?

They are coming fair. Would love to say they are coming along great, but they aren't.

My problem is the committment truthfully. I am only lifting once, maybe twice a week if I am lucky.

*sigh...

I need to find the motivation again...

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
They are coming fair. Would love to say they are coming along great, but they aren't.

My problem is the committment truthfully. I am only lifting once, maybe twice a week if I am lucky.

*sigh...

I need to find the motivation again...

Update? How's it coming, or not coming, now?

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Update? How's it coming, or not coming, now?

It is coming nicely actually, thank for asking. :)

I am regular two times a week. Been out riding my bike or doing stationary as well. My surgery on my mouth but me back a week or two but I am right back at it again now. :)

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lisa,
Apologize for jumping into the game so late but I will give advice in any case.

Let me quailfy: I am an Kempo instructor and certified personal trainer.

What I use with my clients is a good adjustable flat/incline bench, a stability ball and a set of powerblock dumbbells. (www.powerblock.com)

These dumbells can be adjusted anywhere from 5 pounds all the way to 135 pounds (f you get the correct set).

With this equipment you can do 99.9% of any exercixe you can do at any gym or with any fancy 2,000$ piece of equipment. Also working with dumbbells is much better than barbells because of the increase in recruiting a ton more muscle fibers used just to stabilize everything.
As others have said, if someone wants to add muscle, you need to send the body 'the proper request'. What I mean is low reps and heavy weight. Over time the body will respond in kind to that by adding mass.

Also keep in mind, every 6 - 8 weeks the human body has gone through a change cycle and will 'arrive' at the point of what your routine has been calling it to do. This is the point where a change in routine is needed or else you plateau.

Best of luck
Todd Guay
CT Kempo and Fitness
South Meriden, CT

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Todd,

No problem. I like getting all the advice I can get. This is a discussion forum after all. Good discussion is always welcome. :)

The powerblock sets looks sweet. A little above my price range, but definitely something to consider in the future and I will have to look further into having them shipped to Canada and what the added cost will be.

Thanks so much for your input. I thought the time of plateau was a little shorter. I had it in my mind that it was 3-4 weeks. Not sure I remember where I got that number from.

BTW, ya look good in red ;)

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Those powerblocks are the better of the type on the market, I will vouch for them as well. You can, many times, find them in stores but too often are the lighter ones. The bowflex version is poor quality and overpriced.

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
Those powerblocks are the better of the type on the market, I will vouch for them as well. You can, many times, find them in stores but too often are the lighter ones. The bowflex version is poor quality and overpriced.

Yes true SR...
I recommend the Rexan Pro set...The base set is about 245.00 and takes the weight to 45 lbs or so. Then you can add another add on to 85lbs...

It is still cheaper than the equilavent in dumbells, both in terms of price and room needed..

Latest Discussions