Want to Lift Weights

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
No, you're right on. Using your whole muscle or using a group differently, you will feel the difference, quite literally.

If you're in great shape for biking, your legs are gonna be sore when you come to martial arts class, etc. etc.

That is what I thought. I had a friend come to class once, she used to run alot. She could barely walk for three days cause her legs hurt her so much from all the kicking and squatting she did in our MA class. :)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
No, you're right on. Using your whole muscle or using a group differently, you will feel the difference, quite literally.

If you're in great shape for biking, your legs are gonna be sore when you come to martial arts class, etc. etc.

Hence the importance of cross training in any sport, especially at high levels.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the free weights, they are more versatile and you work more muscles than on a machine (use muscles to stabilize), also if you grab a swiss ball you will work your core.

Good luck, lifting weights with a partner can be fun.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
So...get a set of weights (and if you must, a bench) and start in on basic multi joint exercises and try to do most standing. ...

So to work my legs, what do you suggest? One of the reasons I was looking into on of the machines is to have the ability to work directly on my legs.

and... you said if I must, get a bench. You don't like working out on one? why?

Others please chime in if you can answer as well. :)

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are plenty of leg workouts you can do with free weights and a swiss ball..which will save you the expense of a machine.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
So to work my legs, what do you suggest? One of the reasons I was looking into on of the machines is to have the ability to work directly on my legs.:)
There's a slew of leg exercises out there to do. Maybe try to start with dumbbell squats and lunges (stationary or walking). Stiff leg deadlifts works the hams well. If you have a barbell try to squat with that as well.

As far as a bench goes. Well everyone and their brothers cousin wants to know how much someone can bench. I prefer to do my lifts with dumbbell's first then either incline or decline barbell press as the last exercise of my session.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Alright. Isn't that why you are supposed to drink plenty 'o water while taking a creatine supplement. I weigh in at a whole whopping 160 and I try to intake at least a minimum of 80oz. of water per day. Generally it's 100 but some days I just can't take in that much water.

Yup that is the reason. Everything I have read says that one of the biggest risks is that there are no long term studies done. So all the effects might not be known yet. They do know that it can be attributed to gastrointestinal upset, dehydration,

I read that you should be consuming 1-2 ounces of water per kilogram of weight so... you weighing in at 160 pounds divided by 2.2 = 72 to 73 ounces of water per day. Seems you are right on target :)

here is another link where I got the formula for water consumption

http://www.creatinemonohydrate.net/creatine_side_effects.html#Creatine Information 11

Hannya

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a bowflex, and I recommend it for people trying to tone up and put on some muscle. If you go at it seriously, the results will be quick but you will max it out within a couple months (mine goes up to 300lbs stock). I made the mistake of getting one to bulk up, and I feel I've already reached a ceiling and am being blocked by the machine. There are certain limitations using machines, but its the best option if you dont have a workout partner imo.

My advice, pick one of the machines and pick up some free weights to supplement your workout for those trying to bulk, that way you can switch it up. Just make sure you get a healthy diet going, thats key to getting results.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Free weights.

Have you considered joining a gym, even for just a few months? That would give you a mix of free weights and machines to try out, plus some professional pointers.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
So to work my legs, what do you suggest? One of the reasons I was looking into on of the machines is to have the ability to work directly on my legs.

and... you said if I must, get a bench. You don't like working out on one? why?

Others please chime in if you can answer as well. :)

All types of squatting movement: Back, front, overhead!, single leg, pistols, box, etc. Deadlifts (and it's variations), olympic movements would count here.

I am not a huge proponent of the bench press for non powerlifters or non bodybuilders. I think there is better way to train the upper body. But if you are partial to the movement, enjoy it and find it helps you, by all means...it is a great exercise in many repects.

As far as working you legs directly on a machine, are talking about curls and extensions? If so, those movement have little relevance to the training of an athelete barring an obvious weakness in on muscles group (i.e. the hamstrings) but even then one would be better off using one of the "Real" movements (i.e. stiff legged deadlift). The body is a complex system, correct? Obviously, we all should be aware of that. So why not train it that way? Isolation exercises have their place but one can find greater success with multi-joint movements.

I'm really liking this thread.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am glad you are enjoying the thread Shirtripper. :)

I would also like to thank everyone for their input, it has been great so far. :)

I really have no desire to bench press so getting a bench would if my hubby wanted one then for me. What would be the minimum amount of equipment to start out with. Right now our weights are very few.

As a beginner, what would you all suggest I do to start. Keep in mind I have arthritis in my knees. I figure, like any exercise, I will start slow and work my way upwards. How many sets and how many reps per set would be a good start. Remember also I have to be able to work, lol. I kinda need to lift my arms. :)

Also could someone either post pics or explain the different exercises. I think it would be good to have them here as reference for others as well as myself as a reference.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
What would be the minimum amount of equipment to start out with. Right now our weights are very few.

As a beginner, what would you all suggest I do to start. Thanks :)

If I were you, I'd just start out with a couple sets of dumbells. They don't require a lot of weight to do what you'd want to do with them and there's a lot of options available since can do just about anything you can think of with them.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can do a lot with dumbbells.

I've never seen someone come out against the bench press. What's the argument? Start another trehad if appropriate.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lisa said:
As a beginner, what would you all suggest I do to start. Keep in mind I have arthritis in my knees. I figure, like any exercise, I will start slow and work my way upwards. How many sets and how many reps per set would be a good start. Remember also I have to be able to work, lol. I kinda need to lift my arms. :)

Make sure you strap that knee !!

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
As mentioned, I also think it would be a good investment to join a gym for a short time and get some one on one, so that you will learn correct movement. This way you know your effort is going into the right areas and not being wasted by bad form.

We do some great butt workouts in class which you may not even need weights for:

On all fours lift up one knee (as if a dog peeing on a tree), keep doing this and vary it by straightening out the leg....doing little circles forward, then little circles back, etc. You can also rest a dumbbell on you thigh for more resistance. Trust me you will have a sore butt the next day :)

Similar things for inner and outer thigh, lay on your side, rest dumbbell on top of you leg and lift top leg, can do the little circles on this one as well, just keep them small and controlled. For the inner thigh, bend your top leg over and place foot on floor in front of the bottom legs knee, place dumbbell on inner thigh and lift leg.

Heres one way of doing squats that might help to take a little pressure of your knee..remeber to squeeze your butt on the way up :)

Attachments

• $200px-SwissBallSquat.jpeg
    $200px-SwissBallSquat.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 172
  • $msn_12tone_outer_thigh_b.jpeg
    $msn_12tone_outer_thigh_b.jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 177

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I've never seen someone come out against the bench press. .
Ego problems.
I hate doing flat bench presses. The only reason I do flat presses is with dumbbells. I finish with a decline barbell press. On my incline days I do the same. Incline dumbbells first, heavy. Then at the end use the barbell. Too many people do the same thing of "I can't bench more than you". Who really gives a ****. Put a pair of dumbells in your hand and strech the pecs to the max then press. See how many reps with what weight you can do then. I can't stand the ego's in the gym. Everyone is there for the common reason. Get in shape and push yourself. Well at least it should be that.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Totalgym alot. Great for the upperbody but its not good for legs, too awkward with the pulleys and hooking. I probably would stay with the totalgym but free weights are just as good. But if you could get a personal trainer to show you how to use the free weights for some strength and toning, you don't need a machine. Sometimes community ed programs allow you to take a short course. Powerblock weights are real good, they are compact and easy to change-all one unit. http://www.powerblock.com/ Plus they are real balanced.

Just plain kicking is good for toning, strength building legs. Most people here may know I have bad knees...well, me and my hubby just got an elliptical that has an incline mostly for a good general cardio workout which lately I haven't gotten in TKD due to not jumping any more. Its good for strength training the legs too. And its pretty good for knees, no impact. Alot of gyms have those if you want to try them out. I got a cheapy, a few hundred, a couple of years ago and it only falls apart. TW

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
You can do a lot with dumbbells.

I've never seen someone come out against the bench press. What's the argument? Start another trehad if appropriate.

Dumbells are excellent tools. The single arm DB overhead press is one of my favorite movements and, come to think of it, definetely a great exercise for most martial artists...and people.

Not so much against the bench press as I think it generally has far too much emphasis. It's a good exercise and, indeed, a tremendous means of adding muscle mass to the upper torso, I simply think there are other movements (namely the basic press) which should hold primary status in one programs ahead of the BP.

When sparring (or art equivalent) how often are you lying down and pressing up? With perhaps the exception of them grappling types. Obviously the bench press is not intended, for the most part to be a sport specifc exercise but that certainly should not deter one from considering it's relevance.

Also, I apologize for some ugly spelling in a previous post.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do double arm DB overhead presses, palms-in and 'regular'. I've seen the argument that the single arm is better for this and for other exercises, but have usually stuck with the double (for no special reason).

Latest Discussions