Want to Lift Weights

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So in the spirit of the new year, my hubby and I have decided to start lifting weights on a regular basis and are contemplating either investing in a machine or free weights. We have a few free weights, just not enough.

Would you recommend BowFlex (I am a little leary of this one) or an actual weight machine with the pulleys or free weights? why or why not?

Much Thanks! :)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lisa said:
So in the spirit of the new year, my hubby and I have decided to start lifting weights on a regular basis and are contemplating either investing in a machine or free weights. We have a few free weights, just not enough.

Would you recommend BowFlex (I am a little leary of this one) or an actual weight machine with the pulleys or free weights? why or why not?

What are your goals with the weights? Different types of weights do better for certain purposes. If you explain what your goals are, then perhaps we might be able to narrow down to whether a machine or free weights would serve your needs better.

- Ceicei

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
What are your goals with the weights? Different types of weights do better for certain purposes. If you explain what your goals are, then perhaps we might be able to narrow down to whether a machine or free weights would serve your needs better.

- Ceicei

Oops! I knew I was missing something ;)

My goals are to increase my strength and I think my hubby wants to add some bulk. Now that I am thinking of shooting more air rifle competitions I would like to strengthen my muscles to provide the stamina needed for the matches. Tone would be nice too :)

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Oops! I knew I was missing something ;)

My goals are to increase my strength and I think my hubby wants to add some bulk. Now that I am thinking of shooting more air rifle competitions I would like to strengthen my muscles to provide the stamina needed for the matches. Tone would be nice too :)

For bulk, he will need some HEAVY free weights - and a STRONG partner standing over him, ready to take the weights, if he gets stalled in a repetition, for SAFETY. For endurance and toning, as you mentioned for yourself, smaller weights with many repetitions are in order, IMO. If you have a VCR, see if you can get something like Gilad's "Arms of Steel" (Men of Steel series, great but now out of print) used from Amazon.com. This is a great barbell workout that will increase strength (moderately), tone quite a bit and substantially, in my experience, increase endurance. I bet you could get it for less than $10.00 VHS used and the weights he uses are very inexpensive.

Best of luck; sounds like a great New Year's Resolution. I don't know about the machines. I've personally had better luck with free weights because they develop associated parts as well and help with coordination more, IMO.

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:

I used to have a dual stack universal gym that was good but it took up to much room and was somewhat limited in its use. I tried to sell that to purchase a BowFlex but I could find no buyers and finally gave the universal gym away.

I now have had the BowFlex for about three years and I love it. I get a better workout with more resistance and there are much more workout options than my old universal gym. Its safer when working out alone and you can purchase heaver rods to add more weight and resistance to your workout. For me I also gained more floor space when the BowFlex is folded up to practice Martial Arts. Mine is the older BowFlex XTL and I have had no problems with this unit. There were some recalls for some minor parts but the company does stand behind its product and they were quick to send the parts. I still on occasion use my free weights to do some arm curls but most of the time I use the BowFlex.

Purchased new they can be expensive but sometimes you can purchase them cheaper thru the want ads or EBAY and the do sell quickly. However you won't have any warranty. Assembly will take about three hours for the BowFlex, but it took two days to assemble the dual stack universal gym and another two days to take it apart when I gave it away.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I posted but my post got lost - dunno why.

Lisa, your husband will need progressive heavy weights in fewer reps and fewer sets. It is imperative that he rest between sets for one full minute for maximum results and muscle recovery. It's always a good idea to start with large muscle groups.

For toning, strength and weight loss, you will need lighter weights, more reps and more sets. You will benefit more and have more stable joints because you can vary the angle and get a more complete workout when you're training with lighter weights and more reps (a la Jack LaLane).

Machines lend themselves to aiding your body with its balance and you don't really have to use the smaller muscles and side striations of your muscles for balance of the load. Free weights force you to use these things TO balance and control your load. That is essentially the philosophy as I understand it.

Progressive resistance machines like Bowflex contradict how your muscles are designed to work. The majority of the resistance is met at the end of the flex. This CAN induce a strain injury.

The best thing I've seen for home use is the total gym. It operates on a Pilates based philosophy and is pretty easy to use. That and a few variations on light hand-held weights for you would probably do the trick you're looking for.

I SERIOUSLY recommend getting an eval and training plan from a pro. If you guys join a gym in the area, usually most of them (at least in the states) include one free eval, consult and workout session with a personal trainer. Talk to a nutritionist about appropriate sports nutrition that is food-based, unless you really WANT to drink those shakes. I avoid creatine (you're a nurse, you know why) and protein shakes and work on eating right for weight-lifting fitness when I'm lifting.

Post your progress when you can.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love to lift weights. I just got done with a lovely chest/tricep session about 30 minutes ago. It feels good after a 2 week lay off period. Lisa, just remember everyone has a different pace. Look at your goals at what you want to accomplish, listen to your body and go from there. Try looking into some fitness forums to get more ideas.
:asian:

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
First, good decision. Second, machines are dangerous...and crap. Pardon my bluntness.

Your best bet is to buy a set of weights. Then lift them. There is obviously a bit more to it than that but most people jump in with all types of mumbo-jumbo that they read in Muscle and Fitness, get confused, frustrated and oft times pissed and quit. Through your level headedness in your postings here I can see this not likely not you but that is the fate of the many.

So...get a set of weights (and if you must, a bench) and start in on basic multi joint exercises and try to do most standing. This is hard with a Bowflex because it a stupid machine.

Those universal units should be outlawed.

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
First, good decision. Second, machines are dangerous...and crap. Pardon my bluntness.

Your best bet is to buy a set of weights. Then lift them. There is obviously a bit more to it than that but most people jump in with all types of mumbo-jumbo that they read in Muscle and Fitness, get confused, frustrated and oft times pissed and quit. Through your level headedness in your postings here I can see this not likely not you but that is the fate of the many.

So...get a set of weights (and if you must, a bench) and start in on basic multi joint exercises and try to do most standing. This is hard with a Bowflex because it a stupid machine.

Those universal units should be outlawed.

Everyone is entitled to ther own opinion and I would not recomend a BowFlex for serious bodybuilding, but have you ever tried using one. What is your reasoning for calling it a "stupid machine."

My Bowflex has worked for me in keeping myself in shape and I have not experiened any injuries from it.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Me personally I have had free weights, with a bench. I have had a few machines with all the cables and pulleys and a stack of weights. I even had a machine that used cables and pulleys and no weight stack. For me NONE of the others hold a candle to my Bow flex. I know a lot of the hard core lifters will jump up and post that you have to use free weights if you want to get big. Here are a few issues I have with using them. One, to do the exercises that will make some one put on bulk you need a spotter. Amount of space the weight stack, bar and bench will take up. You could buy a smith machine for a built in spotter but that will take up as much room as a ¾ ton truck. With my Bow flex I can do 65 exercises (I only do about 15) the Bow flex don’t take up much room. It was easy to put together and well made. And best of all they keep their resale value.

Also on the issue of fee weights are the only way to get big. If you use resistance on any kind to work the muscles to fatigue would that not accomplish causing the body to respond by releasing growth hormone and causing the desired affect? Just my .02

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
... I avoid creatine (you're a nurse, you know why) and protein shakes and work on eating right for weight-lifting fitness when I'm lifting..

Why is that if I may ask? :asian:

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I posted but my post got lost - dunno why.

Lisa, your husband will need progressive heavy weights in fewer reps and fewer sets. It is imperative that he rest between sets for one full minute for maximum results and muscle recovery. It's always a good idea to start with large muscle groups.

For toning, strength and weight loss, you will need lighter weights, more reps and more sets. You will benefit more and have more stable joints because you can vary the angle and get a more complete workout when you're training with lighter weights and more reps (a la Jack LaLane).

Machines lend themselves to aiding your body with its balance and you don't really have to use the smaller muscles and side striations of your muscles for balance of the load. Free weights force you to use these things TO balance and control your load. That is essentially the philosophy as I understand it.

Progressive resistance machines like Bowflex contradict how your muscles are designed to work. The majority of the resistance is met at the end of the flex. This CAN induce a strain injury.

The best thing I've seen for home use is the total gym. It operates on a Pilates based philosophy and is pretty easy to use. That and a few variations on light hand-held weights for you would probably do the trick you're looking for.

I SERIOUSLY recommend getting an eval and training plan from a pro. If you guys join a gym in the area, usually most of them (at least in the states) include one free eval, consult and workout session with a personal trainer. Talk to a nutritionist about appropriate sports nutrition that is food-based, unless you really WANT to drink those shakes. I avoid creatine (you're a nurse, you know why) and protein shakes and work on eating right for weight-lifting fitness when I'm lifting.

Post your progress when you can.

The BowFlex has constant resistance at the begining and end of each rep. It does not have not progressive resistance that may cause an injury.

However do not believe what Bowflex says about the 20 minute workout. Usually my workouts are an hour and a half.

You are correct in recomending talking to a Nutritionist, that should be one of the first steps. No matter how much you work out beer, pizza and fast food will negate any efforts.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpobldr said:
Everyone is entitled to ther own opinion and I would not recomend a BowFlex for serious bodybuilding, but have you ever tried using one. What is your reasoning for calling it a "stupid machine."

My Bowflex has worked for me in keeping myself in shape and I have not experiened any injuries from it.

I am speaking purely from an athletic stand point. I can understand and appreciate one's interest in "staying in shape" or "looking good" but as most here are martial artists by trade, or at least hobby, I believe any supplemental training (i.e. resistance training) should take said interest into account first and foremost. As this activity is often times athletic based the body needs certain preperation and at some point may require increase in capacity. This does not (or should not) include bodybuilding as I know it. There should be a certain amount of functionality in this process. On that basis I beleive the bowflex (and comparable products) to be frivolous. In order to funcionally train the body in preparation for the typical athletic activity including the majority of the martial arts wherein additional resistance training may be desirable one needs to consider the relevance of the exercise selection. Simply put: Standing and pressing a barbell/dumbbell/stone/sandbag or any other free standing object will be extensively more effective than lying down and pressing against controlled resistance. It all comes down to whether or not what one is doing is consistant with the "real world" or at least the challenges they are training to meet.

Perhaps I was too vague when saying "stupid machine." It is good to hear you have had success and are continuing to be healthy and progressive.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
2004hemi said:
Me personally I have had free weights, with a bench. I have had a few machines with all the cables and pulleys and a stack of weights. I even had a machine that used cables and pulleys and no weight stack. For me NONE of the others hold a candle to my Bow flex. I know a lot of the hard core lifters will jump up and post that you have to use free weights if you want to get big. Here are a few issues I have with using them. One, to do the exercises that will make some one put on bulk you need a spotter. Amount of space the weight stack, bar and bench will take up. You could buy a smith machine for a built in spotter but that will take up as much room as a ¾ ton truck. With my Bow flex I can do 65 exercises (I only do about 15) the Bow flex don’t take up much room. It was easy to put together and well made. And best of all they keep their resale value.

Also on the issue of fee weights are the only way to get big. If you use resistance on any kind to work the muscles to fatigue would that not accomplish causing the body to respond by releasing growth hormone and causing the desired affect? Just my .02
What is this interest in being big? I would think this would have a negative impact on your M.A. training?

You are correct on "resistance being resistance" to an extent but as I addressed above, the functionality of certain machine set-ups (as well as "getting big") is questionable. I am totally of the mind set of "to each his/her own" but have you ever pulled off a power clean or overhead squat on a bowflex?

I am beginning to like this thread.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Free weights are pretty much always a better bet.

On a machine your motion is locked into the proper path, it does the stabalization for you. Meaning all the muslces that normally stabalize the bigger muscles go unused. So after making progress on the machine you find yourself tearing supporting muscles when you try to use that new strength elsewhere because they have been doing nothing and got left behind.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
On a machine your motion is locked into the proper path...

How about: Locked in a path. Not always the proper path. This is one of my big "beefs" with the use of machines instead of "free weights." It is true that one must have a better understanding of exercises when working with unsupported weight to avoid injury. Because the body is not forced into a certain path of motion attention must be paid to technique in order to efficiently benefit from the movement being practiced.

But, to put it plainly; I would rather have my athletes use incorrect mechanics (save for obvious safety threats) than forced mechanics, especially when these are often incorrect regardless.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
... I avoid creatine (you're a nurse, you know why) and protein shakes and work on eating right for weight-lifting fitness when I'm lifting..

shesulsa said:
Why is that if I may ask? :asian:

I was told by my doctor that creatine puts fluid into the muscle fibers which can keep your organs from being properly hydrated which can lead to hypertension and kidney malfunction.

So I don't do it.

Protein shakes only ever gave me indigestion, bloated me up and lowered my calcium levels.

So I don't do that either.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So basically what a few of you are saying is that free weights allow you to use the muscle properly or the whole muscle as opposed to just down one path.

I remember once doing a flooring project and I thought my legs were pretty strong from all the squats etc. that I did in MA class. For the next few days, however, my legs hurt, I was using the muscles differently for the squats obviously and the flooring project stressed the muscles in a different way. Or am I way off with this?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
So basically what a few of you are saying is that free weights allow you to use the muscle properly or the whole muscle as opposed to just down one path.

I remember once doing a flooring project and I thought my legs were pretty strong from all the squats etc. that I did in MA class. For the next few days, however, my legs hurt, I was using the muscles differently for the squats obviously and the flooring project stressed the muscles in a different way. Or am I way off with this?
No, you're right on. Using your whole muscle or using a group differently, you will feel the difference, quite literally.

If you're in great shape for biking, your legs are gonna be sore when you come to martial arts class, etc. etc.

Latest Discussions