Video Camera Training

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you use the video camera as a training device for your school. Like in Football and other pro-sports they use video to examine every movement.

Should this be a common practice in martial arts?

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hell yes, it should be common. Probably too time-consuming to be done regularly at a school/instructor level, but the students should video themselves when they can. I personally made big improvements from watching videos of myself training. After I finished vomiting, LOL.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an excellent training aid, but not necessary, sometimes awkward, and something of a distraction. It's great if you have another instructor there to operate the thing -or your wife or girlfriend or even the AV geek from school, but setting it up and trying to keep the action in frame can be a bit contrived, depending upon the art. Great for randori or sparring, tests and private or semi-private lessons, and that's about it, in my opinion.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, For most of us, seeing yourself on Video is awkward at times. But it is a great tool for self improvement.

Seeing is believing....IF you can use it? than it will only help you get even better.

Be practical on it's use, always get your Teacher's permission as well as others in the video.

Excellant to watch yourself in Kata's and sparring. It will only improve your techniques better because you will see your weakness and strenghts! .........Aloha

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
incredibly valuable training device. i've had several coaches use it. really helps you understand where your strengths and weaknesses are.

far as i know, just about every college and pro level coach uses film as a training aid.

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
We started using it recently for sparring. I has quickly become an extremely important tool and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I took videos of my students about 6 months ago, shortly after I bought a video camera for another purpose; after the next testing cycle ends (testing is 10/10) I will probably do it again. It was very helpful in the short term, but we need to do it again so people can see how they have changed (or not) technically. It was very helpful from the perspective that people suddenly understood the comments directed at them about things they were doing but couldn't see - especially stances and timing.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I video all of my competition matches. It makes a huge difference in how I roll.

The very first time I did it, I could actually see myself holding my breath. Needless to say, I changed that immediately and got huge results.

I think videoing can be a great asset as a training tool.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many of you use the video camera as a training device for your school. Like in Football and other pro-sports they use video to examine every movement.

Video is a great learning tool. I've used it to record drills, sparring, kata, etc., to use as a reference tool at a later time, and also as a learning tool, as it can be referred back to, to view a sparring match, grappling match, etc. to enable a critique of the events.

Mike

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have video taped my instructor doing all the forms and combinations and that is what I used to train at home and prepare better for class. I also use it to improve my present forms. You usually are your best critic and it helps to see yourself from a different angle.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been thinking about using a video camera to help me, but haven't done it yet, for martial arts anyway. A few years ago a couple friends and I used my video camera to analyze our bowling approach and throw, and I think it really helped.

I think it is a great tool for learning and improvement.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great for randori or sparring.

I believe that is where it has the most impact. Randori/sparring typically has more of the adrenaline pumping and one can see where they let things slip up, come out of balance, etc. I would encourage people to use them for that, just not very often, maybe once every month or month and a half.

I also hate to see myself on camera.

mikey_jai

White Belt
Reaction score
i think the use of a video camera is a great way to see how your forms are.

if you find that it is a distraction to you, that means you aren't fully concentrating on the form you're performing.
also, you get the view of your form from the judge's view, which is important to show how good your stances are, your poses (from the angle of the judges) and minor things like where your eyes are when you're doing your motions.

as far as it goes for sparring, its great to see yourself spar. its kind of like studying your opponent objectively by watching a video of previous fights (except this time, you pick apart yourself)... using this technique, you can see where your openings are, the fluidity of your movements (that you might not see in the actual fight due to adrenaline etc..) and what things you may need to work on.
for those who are serious about improving their forms, get them on camera!

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do! I can point things out to my students but until they see themselves doing it on video often times it really doesn't sink in.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea used it last night and it was a great tool, they seemed to be able to make the adjustment better once they saw there mistakes.

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score

We have always taped tests for review later on.
I also tape every class now, but it is too time consuming to review each one.

It is a very helpful tool.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yea used it last night and it was a great tool, they seemed to be able to make the adjustment better once they saw there mistakes.

It is a very valuable tool and can provide some great feedback to correct mistakes.
icon14.gif

robertlk808

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You know this is a great topic, I just recently got a video camera and it is my intention for the clips to be used as training tools not just for youtube, LOL. For sparring it can be used both ways, to see your weaknesses and also your partners weaknesses (that is if they dont recognize them as well and improve) but I also agree about using the camera to pratice your forms. Trying to practice while watching your form at the same time can be a tad difficult. Now I just gotta get a tripod.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
my sensei has been threating to tape me doing juttae (current form), warm up, drills, and sparring. apparnetly i'm doing things text book perfect in kata, technique, and drills, and a chicken in sparring. i agree with the sparring thing (i always back, and rarely attack)