Mechanics of the "Oblique kick" explained

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Judging by the video, I'd say no - it's different.
which video. jow vid is most definitely a stamp kick, he even practice stamping first to get the motor pattern.

which then leaves us with the situation that either we are talking about two completely different kicks, in which case the whole debate is pointless OR jows point, that the kick demonstrated is not the best application of the kick and itrs better done as he shows.

we really need to know to make any progress

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
even by the standards on here , this debate has descended in to a chaos of different definitions

are we talking about a ' stamp ' kick ? the same kick you use to smash a locked door open where you have full engagement of the glute and th quad ?

If so bracing into it isn't the best idea as it will damage what ever it hits, this on the proviso that you have a sturdy pair of shoes on, its effectiveness in bare feet is likely much rudeduced i not sure by how much as i've never tried to kick a door of its hinges in bare feet
Ya, it's not the best option for every situation, but it works for obliques. A little forward momentum on the weight shift forward will often unbalance the kicker backwards. This works best when stepping into his kick(often with a punch)if you can get contact before they get the snap/drive into the kick by stepping into it,so it's not really the best outside of punching range.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
With that sort of lift, you (I) wouldn't do it until your kick is almost finished.

Unless your kick is exceptionally slow, you're not going to have the opportunity to look for weight shifting - and if it's that slow then I can simply walk away.

I (and I assume many others) can do this sort of lift with one leg off the ground entirely, making it impossible to shift weight onto it.

Also, when sparring I'm very unlikely to not constantly shift my weight from leg to leg - unless I'm deliberately baiting by standing still...

I've said previously that your video showed what I consider to be multiple different kicks, but you consider them all one kick.

This part "In the context of the leg check that was done in the video. I'm not sure if that qualifies as the leg check he was doing" - if all those kicks count as one, then all the variations of a leg check count too. You just can't do a lift of a weighted leg at demo speed.
When I use the oblique kick I usually make sure my opponent is either moving towards me or trying to position for an attack. This way I get a solid transfer of weight out of them. A simple walk or step forward is all that's needed for me see how the weigh transfers. It's predictive, because I know what's going to happen when that foot is planted.

No one thinks or notices weight transfers unless it's important or vital to a successful technique. The more a person moves the more the weight shifts. Take a video of you sparring and you'll see a lot of it.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ya, it's not the best option for every situation, but it works for obliques. A little forward momentum on the weight shift forward will often unbalance the kicker backwards. This works best when stepping into his kick(often with a punch)if you can get contact before they get the snap/drive into the kick by stepping into it,so it's not really the best outside of punching range.
This sound like jamming the kick and should work if the kicker miss judged the distance. If the kicker golf swings the leg then the kick will be useless. if kick is a stomping motion then the kick should still work.

How much weight can someone push with a stomping like motion. How much weight can someone push with a golf like swing of the leg?

I don't think the golf swing motion could resist much forward movement. A stomping motion or a pressing motion like in a general front kick. (Not the snapping front kick). May be really difficult to jam once the kick gets past a certain point.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Im still not sure we are on the same page, when i've used this kick, other than kicking doors open, its been on opponents who are learching at me and have little chance to redirect their moment, in that instance the kick is going through them or they fire backwards, their forward momentum s my friend. they are never going to get in punching range, my leg is longer than their arm

where its a bit iffy is where they are bobbing and waving just in range, if they do evaid, then i'm going forwards wit little control, that's if i don't take my knee out with the air shot

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
my leg is longer than their arm.
I had mentioned this in another thread. some people disagreed with me on this.

The shin/knee kick is to used to stop your opponent from coming in closer. If the timing is right, it should work all (or most of) the time in "logic".

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had mentioned this in another thread. some people disagreed with me on this.

The shin/knee kick is to used to stop your opponent from coming in closer. If the timing is right, it should work all (or most of) the time in "logic".
Lol well maybe their arms are longer than their legs? Lol

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Attachments

• 360_orangutan_0727.jpg
    360_orangutan_0727.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 118

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lol well maybe their arms are longer than their legs? Lol
You can still lean your body back when you throw that kick. If your foot can land on your opponent's leading leg knee, none of his hands can reach you (no matter how far he may try to lean his body forward).

Of course if your opponent can catch your kicking leg, you will be in trouble (since your gravity center).

- Your opponent punches at your face.
- You kick his knee.
- Your opponent catches your kicking leg.

old-man-kick.jpg

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can still lean your body back when you throw that kick. If your foot can land on your opponent's leading leg knee, none of his hands can reach you (no matter how far he may try to lean his body forward).

Of course if your opponent can catch your kicking leg, you will be in trouble (since your gravity center).

- You kick his knee.

old-man-kick.jpg
I've seen KOS from that kick. If you do that kick then you must be really sure it's going to land solid. Getting kicked in the face is going to disrupt and chances of even knowing where to grab. I've seen this kick fail before but mainly because of the kicker where the kick is off target. I usually Muay thai fighters pulling it off.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im still not sure we are on the same page, when i've used this kick, other than kicking doors open, its been on opponents who are learching at me and have little chance to redirect their moment, in that instance the kick is going through them or they fire backwards, their forward momentum s my friend. they are never going to get in punching range, my leg is longer than their arm

where its a bit iffy is where they are bobbing and waving just in range, if they do evaid, then i'm going forwards wit little control, that's if i don't take my knee out with the air shot

Ya like I said, not so good outside of punching range. :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
This sound like jamming the kick and should work if the kicker miss judged the distance. If the kicker golf swings the leg then the kick will be useless. if kick is a stomping motion then the kick should still work.

How much weight can someone push with a stomping like motion. How much weight can someone push with a golf like swing of the leg?

I don't think the golf swing motion could resist much forward movement. A stomping motion or a pressing motion like in a general front kick. (Not the snapping front kick). May be really difficult to jam once the kick gets past a certain point.
Distance isn't static. If a guy is always in the same place he was, or you think he will be, that guy isn't very slick.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MA is funny. If you use

- head punch, your opponent's knee kick can give you a lot of trouble.
- knee kicker, your opponent's single leg can give you a lot of trouble.
- single leg, your opponent's head punch can give you a lot of trouble.

head punch < knee kick < single leg < head punch < ...

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Distance isn't static. If a guy is always in the same place he was, or you think he will be, that guy isn't very slick.
That's why I don't like to touch gloves before a match. I don't want to help my opponent measure the distance he or she needs to travel to punch me in the face. The more that I can keep that a dynamic number the the better off I'll be.

I have a video of me getting out boxed and even though I was exhausted I shouldn't have let him get a good measure on me with the distance. The rules that day was punching only sooooo. I had to eat those punches.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's why I don't like to touch gloves before a match. I don't want to help my opponent measure the distance he or she needs to travel to punch me in the face.
You can always touch your back hand instead of your leading hand on your opponent's glove. This way, your opponent may think your arm is shorter.

Before you and I wrestle, I will put on my wrestling jacket in front of you with my left arm into the sleeve first. During the 1st round, I will always attack your left side first. This way, you may think that I'm a left hand person.

MA is just another cheating game.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

- You kick his knee.

old-man-kick.jpg
The guy he is kicking must have really long legs if he is kicking the knee. ;)