Filming ans instructional video.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would like input from anyone who has been involved in filming an instructional video for martial arts? This will not be used for commercial sale, mainly just a reference aid for a few instructors.

I would like any info on number of cameras, angles, audio, type of camera used etc...

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even more important than the camera and angles is the software that you will be using to edit it. (sometimes that can be pretty expensive)

When filming take your time and shoot multiple angles if you can and remember to just perform the technique or whatever you are showing in the manner you want it represented. Good luck.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have done a few and I always do it live. I make personal videos for some of my students who maybe out for what ever reason. I never edit.
If i make a mistake its on the video and what not. I also talk to them as if they where right there... it seems to work for me and i watch everyone before i give them out. If I was going to sell them I would edit them because it now is not personal...
Kosho

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No advice fromm me as i have been thinking of doing the same for some of my students.
Best of luck with your project and do we get to see a clip of part of it when it is done

darkavenger

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey phlaw,

I'm a video producer by trade and I've had plenty of experience putting together projects like these. Honestly, the best advice that I can give you is: keep it as simple as you can.

Here are a few other considerations to keep in mind as well:

Proper framing. Keep the camera steady and follow the action. Make sure that your subject and the techniques being performed fill the majority of the frame. Proper head room, eye line, and a stable horizon line are key elements.

Make sure that you shoot it in a setting with enough light to ensure proper exposure (ie: you should be able to see the faces of your subjects) It's generally better to shoot with a brighter foreground and a darker background. It provides better contrast.

Stay away from un-motivated Transitions (I know that those page curls and wacky shape wipes might seem cool, but if they don't add to or further the telling of your content then I BEG you don't use them. They just add to the cheese factor. Basic cuts and dissolves are all you really need)

Do whatever you can to provide clean, easily understood audio. Depending on what type of movement is being performed, you may be able to get away with a wireless lavalier microphone. If you are grappling, or doing a lot of techniques that require the demonstrator to rub up against thier clothing then a lav might not work.

You can get away with using an on-camera mic if you are close enough to your speaker that the audio picks up decently. However, I would avoid it if I could. Use a pair of headphones when you shoot. They provide confidence monioring of your sound.

Editing software can be a bit daunting if you've never used it before. If you've never edited before -- as you learn keep things simple and use apps like Apple's iMovie (if you're on a Mac) or Windows Movie Maker. The Pinnacle stuff is decent too. If you want more functionality and quality then head for Adobe Premiere, Apple's Final Cut Express, or Final Cut Pro, or any of the Avid line of products (Liquid, Xpress Pro) These are more professional tools and require a considerable learning curve (and lots of Cash$$$)

Good luck with your project.

Train hard !

-matt

OP
P

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Matt, great stuff.

It is Tae Kwon DO, but I might try the lapel mic, as long as we do it alowly.

As far as software, probably Pinnacle. I have a lot of experience with audio editing, working in radio for almost 20 years. have also done a lot of live audio recording and editing. I have only dabbled in video, but have friends who do it a lot.

I am hoping to start the project soon, and if my instructor approves, might show a few clips.

Thanks again.

Latest Discussions