Vegetarian BBQ: Is it possible??

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm curious if there are any vegetarians out there that grill on the bbq and what are your foods of choice for the grill?

My wife is a vegetarian and I'd like to offer her more choices. The only things I grill for her are baked potatoes, corn on the cob and veggie burgers. Theres got to be some things better than that to include.

I've asked friends and looked at a few cookbooks but the only things I'm coming up with are vegetarian dishes cooked in a pan on the grill. Might as well just cook in the kitchen, lol.

Any help would be appreciated.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not a vegetarian, but I grill peppers, onions, mushrooms, and many others on the grill.

I have to keep it quiet around where I live, it is BBQ sin to not cook only meat.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not a vegetarian, but I grill peppers, onions, mushrooms, and many others on the grill.

I have to keep it quiet around where I live, it is BBQ sin to not cook only meat.

Yeah, but I bet your grilling those things to go with your juicy Porterhouse steak
icon7.gif
. C'mon man, I can't offer her a pepper with a side of onions
icon10.gif

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I dated a vegetarian all through college. The veggie bbq can be good but nothing replaces a steak. Though, I used to go with her to the vegetarian Chinese food place and it was amazing. Meatless General Tso's Chicken, I didn't know!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The best way to do the corn on the cob isn't on the grill.

You put it in the ashes to cook. It comes out with the kernels blackened and sweet. Cover with cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt or butter.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any and all veggies and of course fruit like pineaqpple. apples. peaches. I also like grilled Tofu and there is nothing like a cabbge rolls stuffed with a nice rice and grilled to perfection.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try corn on the cob unshucked placed right on the grill - steams nicely.

Skewer veggies and baste them in an herbed olive oil. I've had grilled tofu, but I can't tell you how it's prepared - I would probably send it right through the grill to the bricks below!

If she can tolerate gluten, you can marinate that much like meat and add that to the kabobs.

Then there's taters, yams, artichokes .... You can do the scout thing, wrap up some cubed tofu with some veggies and some marinade or other sauce in a foil pouch and plop it on the coals and serve it up after about five minutes.

Fruit kabobs fire-roasted with a warm yogurt sauce is a surprisingly nice dessert.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes you can cook Vegetarian on the grill.

Grilled Eggplant,Red peppers,Onions.
Veggie Dogs,Burgers.
Grilled Tofu marinaded in a BBQ blend.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best way to do the corn on the cob isn't on the grill.

You put it in the ashes to cook. It comes out with the kernels blackened and sweet. Cover with cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt or butter.

Sounds interesting. I'll have to try that.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any and all veggies and of course fruit like pineaqpple. apples. peaches. I also like grilled Tofu and there is nothing like a cabbge rolls stuffed with a nice rice and grilled to perfection.

Wow Terry, I never thought of you as a vegetarian type. I'm impressed.
icon14.gif

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try corn on the cob unshucked placed right on the grill - steams nicely.

Skewer veggies and baste them in an herbed olive oil. I've had grilled tofu, but I can't tell you how it's prepared - I would probably send it right through the grill to the bricks below!

If she can tolerate gluten, you can marinate that much like meat and add that to the kabobs.

Then there's taters, yams, artichokes .... You can do the scout thing, wrap up some cubed tofu with some veggies and some marinade or other sauce in a foil pouch and plop it on the coals and serve it up after about five minutes.

Fruit kabobs fire-roasted with a warm yogurt sauce is a surprisingly nice dessert.

Great ideas! We love artichokes and I gotta try the fruit kabobs.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes you can cook Vegetarian on the grill.

Grilled Eggplant,Red peppers,Onions.
Veggie Dogs,Burgers.
Grilled Tofu marinaded in a BBQ blend.

We found a brand of veggie burgers that we like but none of the veggie dogs we've ever tried were good.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wouldn't know how to grill a salad
icon10.gif
, didn't know you could.

It's something I've seen on Food Network occasionally. Never tried it, myself, but I'm sure their Web site has instructions somewhere in the recipe section.

Come to think of it, that sounds like something to try on the grill tonight. I eat meat like nobody's business, but as long as the grill's fired up, I like my veggies cooking right alongside with the ribeyes:ubercool:

Here we go with a Bobby Flay recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...-with-spicy-caesar-dressing-recipe/index.html

Last edited:

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another advantage of cooking the corn in ashes...

It makes the niacin and a couple other important nutrients biologically available and prevents pellagra. People used to think maize was poisonous because people who ate a lot of it developed the disease. But further research into Meso-Americans who did well on pretty much just corn, squash and beans showed that it was the treatment with lime or some other alkali substance solved the problem.

Another favorite of mine, grilled spaghetti. Cook the spaghetti normally. Put it on the grill for a couple minutes so it can get that nice smokey flavor.

Latest Discussions