Useful Martial Art in everyday self defense.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The least you could have done was put them in alphabetical order, sheesh :rolleyes:

Damn I KNEW I should have gone alphabetical instead of by country of origin order. :uhyeah:

ROFL - and you left out iaido ... I'm affronted :D.

Sorry but I was thinking "Useful Martial Art in everyday self defense". And I felt that iaido, although it would work rather well, I was not exactly sure that carrying a katana everywhere would be allowed :)

I didn't see Krav Maga and Mui Thai either tsktsk.

Well I said it was a partial list :uhyeah:

And my apologies to Krav Maga and Muat Thai :asian:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've developed my own arts: Rhee Bok Do and Kia-Jutsu.

Run away very fast and if all else fails, hit 'em with a cheap Korean car ;)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That reminds me of a witty riposte someone once made in a similar thread. When asked what was their most favoured weapon for defending themselves from violent assaults 'on the street' (Gods how I loathe that phrase!), this worthy replied:

"Mercedes Benz" :lol:.

OP
TKDJUDO

TKDJUDO

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It would have to be "Chun Kuk Do" the art developed by Chuck Norris. He has proven to be the most effective self-defense art in his portrayal of 'Cordell Walker'. Cordell defends himself on numerous occaisons and on a daily basis, against single attackers and numerous attackers, some with weapons and others empty handed, you name it, he has defended himself against it. "Chun Kuk Do" has got to be the most proven art around and is documented nicely on film.
icon12.gif

And how would I be able to find a school that teaches this art. It seems like this art is just new

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It would have to be "Chun Kuk Do" the art developed by Chuck Norris. He has proven to be the most effective self-defense art in his portrayal of 'Cordell Walker'. Cordell defends himself on numerous occaisons and on a daily basis, against single attackers and numerous attackers, some with weapons and others empty handed, you name it, he has defended himself against it. "Chun Kuk Do" has got to be the most proven art around and is documented nicely on film.
icon12.gif

You must be on Chucks payroll
icon10.gif

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello: JUDO .... JUDO ...JUDO... WHY? ..because of hands on training...real throws...and you practice like it is REAL!
So you practice in street clothes, occasionally with weapons, and once in a while have a few of your opponent's buddies jump in to try and stomp your ***, or do we have different definitions of real?

jonbey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
On the street it really could be anything. A good guard, with a few jabs and crosses could be enough. If you opponent is not skilled, then taking a boxing approach may be the smartest and quickest way to deal with the situation.

Probably worth mentioning that high kicks and anything flamboyant is a definite no no.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
That reminds me of a witty riposte someone once made in a similar thread. When asked what was their most favoured weapon for defending themselves from violent assaults 'on the street' (Gods how I loathe that phrase!), this worthy replied:

"Mercedes Benz" :lol:.
Well, I don't know about needing such an upscale vehicle to do the job. I got absolutely hammered *on the street* (put that in just to goad ya, friend :lol:) once by a guy half my size but with four times the non-pharmaceutical medicinal intake recommended, and I've always said since that I should have run over him with my Buick before I got out to talk about why he was beating on a woman. ;)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D.

It's perfectly permissable to use the phrase "on the street" in the circumstance depicted above for that is merely explanatory of the salient environment ( ... quietly grinds teeth ... :lol: ).

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that's fantastic, nothing like having your defense show up 15 minutes after you got attacked. 45 in Los Angeles.

Ayup. Dial 911 and Die.

Now, if you change it a little bit it charyuop might be onto something. Maybe he/she really meant "911! 1911! 911!" Call the police. Shoot him with the 1911. Call the ambulance.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's a good example. Why am I not surprised that it's from Detroit "Hell with the fire put out" Michigan...

DETROIT -- A 7-year-old-girl is being hailed as an "angel from heaven" and a hero for jumping in front of an enraged gunman, who pumped six bullets into the child as she used her body as a shield to save her mother's life.

[...]

"I figured if he got out to pump the gas, I was going to take off," Ford said.
Instead, Tillie gave her $10 and told her put in $5 worth of gas.
Ford said she dialed 911 on her cell phone as she walked into the station.

"The first operator clicked off and I dialed again and told that operator a guy with a gun was holding me hostage with a mother and baby and threatening to kill us. I told her the name of the gas station and then she said they didn't have a unit to send."

Ford said she paid for $5 of gas and slowly returned to the vehicle, stalling for time as she handed Tillie the change. She said she kept stopping and starting the pump, hoping the police would show up.

"I told him I needed more gas and took money out of my purse and went back into the station," she said. The attendant, Mohammad Alghazali, 30, said he noticed Ford was crying and she told him what was happening. He called 911 as he heard shots coming from the vehicle.

[...]

Alghazali said a police car on a street nearby arrived in less than a minute after his call.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a good example. Why am I not surprised that it's from Detroit "Hell with the fire put out" Michigan...

No Surprise about it being Detroit or Michigan.

I live near, train in and hang out in the Number 3 Dangerous city (Flint) in the nations and then I go to Detroit, Number 1, as well. It does not surprise me at all.

I also agree that 911 is not the only thing to rely upon. But still call it. It shows you tried. Also I have found that at peek times if I call and hang up without saying anything they are more likely to call me back.