Useful Martial Art in everyday self defense.

TKDJUDO

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What would you say is the best martial art to defend oneself on the street. Explain why it is the best.

I would like to know so that I can get an idea of each type of martial art

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
All martial arts can be used effectively for self-defense but someone who knows what they are doing and has the presence of mind and composure to do what is needed to survive

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best art is the one that interest you enough to stick with it, to learn enough for it to be useful. This is going to vary from person to person. And even then, a good instructor, whose personality and style fits your own, is key; no matter how effective the art, no matter how technically proficient the instructor, no matter how much the art fits your physical abilities and mental outlook, if you don't like the instructor, if you do not "fit" with the instructor and the class, you won't stick with the art - and then you won't learn enough for it to be effective.

I'm not trying to avoid your question - there is no one best art - there is only the art that is best for you. Some people will tell you otherwise, that the art(s) they practice are "the best" - but if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't matter.

This question of the "best" art is perpetual - there've been quite a few discussions on it previously. You might try the search function (in the blue bar, to the right) so that you can read through some of them yourself. They pretty much all came to the same concepts every time.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not trying to avoid your question - there is no one best art - there is only the art that is best for you.

I'd go further and say that in addition to the good advice above (and "stick with it" is so much more important than people realize in their initial enthusiasm for the martial arts), one has to take into account that what the best art for you is includes the matter of what's the best art for the threat. I wouldn't send someone to boxing to face a knife fighter, or to Karate to defend against a wrestler, or to Judo to defend a gang attack. I wouldn't send a 13 year old to snake style kung fu to learn how to gouge out the eyes of the kids bullying him for lunch money, or a 70 year old senior citizen to capoeira for self-defense against purse snatcher, or a 7 year old to Eskrima to learn how to use a machete against a would-be abductor.

Having a good instructor who views himself or herself as your self-defense coach and who has a realistic view of what will work helps a great deal, and that perspective can turn any art into the best art for you. Some arts are known for their modern street-defense approach, but like all other arts, they assume a most likely opponent/situation. Those who say iaido is poor self-defense obviously don't expect to be in a samurai sword duel anytime soon. Well, that's probably true. But then it gets murky. Will you be wearing clothes and in a sufficiently open and stable place to use high kicks? If not, Tae Kwon Do and Savate may not be the ebst choices.

What's available in your area? There are thousands of arts--one can't list and rank them all.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since we're throwing in the traditional wisdom I'll drop a couple more pieces in the pot.

The teacher is more important than the style. When my Guru was looking for a Silat teacher his first Silat Guru - his grandmother - only had one question. "Stevie, can he fight?" If the answer wasn't a resounding "Yes" she wasn't interested.

You also have to look at what people will actually train you for, not what they say. Everyone claims that his or her stuff is the greatest thing since crunchy peanut butter either
  1. Because it was battlefield tested by great warriors of old the like of whom do not exist today
  2. Or because it is all-new, high-speed, tested for today's unique conditions by today's best the like of whom did not exist back in the bad isolated pre-scientific old days.
Both positions are full of little round things that goats leave behind.

That said, there are quicker and slower ways to get there and some things which are more suitable for different sorts of people. Aikido of the pacifistic hearts-and-flowers "O Sensei knew how to fight, so we don't have to learn how" variety isn't going to be one of the quicker. Neither is Olympic style WTF TKD or Shin Shin Taido. I'm built like a short-legged long-armed brick, much better suited for Judo than Northern Chinese Boxing. Kareem Abdul Jabar has taken up White Crane. With his build it's a no-brainer.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would you say is the best martial art to defend oneself on the street. Explain why it is the best.

I would like to know so that I can get an idea of each type of martial art
The one that you're actually going to practice and train regularly in.

Let's be real. I could teach you the SECRET ULTIMATE SUPER-KILLER FIGHTING SYSTEM, previously taught only to the most elite members of the most elite military units... But if you ain't going to practice it, it won't do you any good. Martial arts are a physical skill. Like all physical skills, they're perishable. If you don't practice, you won't maintain skill.

But, even more important... Look at the threats you're most likely to face. Guess what? 9 times out of 10, the "best martial art" is not going into that particular bad part of town, seedy bar, or whatever in the first place. That's not a total guarantee... but alertness and avoidance of dangerous situations goes a long, long way towards keeping you safe.

Even then -- martial arts are NOT self defense. Martial arts are lots of different things; some are fitness programs. Others are self improvement programs, or cultural heritage. The truth is that you only need a handful of techniques, drilled very thoroughly, to handle most attacks. That can be taught in a few weeks, max.

So... you're looking for a martial art to help you defend yourself. Look for a place that will train and practice with structured realism. Look for teachers with real world experience or at least who regularly communicate and get input from people with real world experience, because the street ain't nearly the same as competition ring (not even the infamous Octagon of MMA) or dojo.

And look for one where you like the atmosphere. One where the other students seem like people you'll hang around. Find a school that's located somewhere you'll actually attend, regularly. And that you can afford. And then, have fun. Self defense skills will grow naturally out of a good program, if you look around and select carefully.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I developed the most effective martial art in the history of the world last year.

For three payments of $99.95 I will send you a three part video series on how to kill all would be attackers with just your pinky and a small tangerine in under 2.7 seconds!

actually - the other posters have got it down - follow their advice.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello: JUDO .... JUDO ...JUDO... WHY? ..because of hands on training...real throws...and you practice like it is REAL!

Judo has more than just the sports side....because you actually work with a real partner and actual throws...you experience a real life situtions....

unless your karate, kempo, or other arts...that does not have everyday sparring? .....the learning will take longer...

To learn to fight? ...one must fight....JUDO ...is fighting...

Just my thoughts on this....EACH PERSON WILL EXPERIENCE THEIR OWN OPINIONS ON THIS!

Best way is to find out for yourself..............Aloha

We learn from doing.....doing real hands on throwing...hard to beat real training.....(those that experience JUDO....know what this means compare to karate....)

BOTTOM LINE NO MATTER THE ART? ...it is the person who makes each martial art work......NOT the particular art? even JUDO!

OK guys...just my thoughts here!!

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
As said here many times, there is no superior art, just the people that make it work, the mindset that you are going home after it's all done and over with. Any art can be that way as long as you are willing to put the mind, body and soul into it.

Good advice in the above posts', all you have to do is be willing and keep an open mind to listening.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is no perfect style. It comes down to what you train for, tournaments, exersize, full contact fighting, self defense. Attend a few classes, see how the people train, how you relate to the coach, that's it. Figure out your goals in MA then visit gyms with the goal in mind.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As said here many times, there is no superior art, just the people that make it work, the mindset that you are going home after it's all done and over with. Any art can be that way as long as you are willing to put the mind, body and soul into it.

Good advice in the above posts', all you have to do is be willing and keep an open mind to listening.

Absolutely!!! Martial arts gives you tools, how and when those tools are used and if they are the appropriate tools for the situation are up to the user, as is the decision and attitude necessary to use them effectively

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK here is a partial list of Useful Martial Art in everyday self defense.

Boxing, MMA, Bafaquan, Baguazhang, Bajiquan, Bak Mei, Black Tiger, Chaquan. Chow Gar, Choy Lay Fut, Dragon Kung Fu, Eagle Claw, Emeiquan, Fanziquan, Five Ancestors, Fujian White Crane, Gou Quan, Houquan, Huaquan, Hung Gar, Jow-Ga Kung Fue, Lau Gar, Leopard, Liuhe Bafa, Luohan Quan, Mei Hua Quant, Mian Quang, Nanquan, Northern Praying Mantis, Paochui, Piguaquan, Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan, Shaolin Quan, Shuai Jiao, Southern Praying Mantis, Taijiquan, Tantui, Tien Shan Pai, Tongbeiquan, Wing Chun. Wudangquan, Xingyiquan, Yingzhaoquan, Yiquan, Sanshou/Sanda, San soo, Eskrima (Kali), Sikaran, Kombatan, Pananjakman, Pangamut, Sikaran, Kuntao, Silat, Sindo, Aikido, Battojutsu, Bojutsu, Bujinkan, Daito-ryu, aiki-jujutsu, Genbukan, Goshin Jujitsu, Hakko Ryu, Jinenkan, Jojutsu, Judo, Jujutsu, Kenpo. Kinomichi, Ninjutsu, Shoot boxing, Shooto, Shorinji kempo, Shotokan, Shukokai, Sumo, Goju-ryu, Isshin-ryu, Karate, Okinawan kobudo, Shorin-ryu, Uechi Ryū, Hapkido, Taekwondo ,Tang Soo Do,

Now what you need to do is check out some and find out which ones best fit you, interest you most and have the best teachers.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nike-do, and if that fails, Gun-kata. ;) When it comes down to serious defend-your-life situations and all you have at hand is your hands and feet, then you are in a lot of trouble, trained in MA or no. Run bravely away Sir Robin, you only have one life, don't lose it to some gutter punk in a no-account confrontation. Your machismo will handle the blow.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, I developed the most effective martial art in the history of the world last year.

For three payments of $99.95 I will send you a three part video series on how to kill all would be attackers with just your pinky and a small tangerine in under 2.7 seconds!

Add a rubber band, a paper clip and some chewing gum and you can build and or disarm bombs, right MacGyver?
:p

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It would have to be "Chun Kuk Do" the art developed by Chuck Norris. He has proven to be the most effective self-defense art in his portrayal of 'Cordell Walker'. Cordell defends himself on numerous occaisons and on a daily basis, against single attackers and numerous attackers, some with weapons and others empty handed, you name it, he has defended himself against it. "Chun Kuk Do" has got to be the most proven art around and is documented nicely on film.
icon12.gif

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It would have to be "Chun Kuk Do" the art developed by Chuck Norris. He has proven to be the most effective self-defense art in his portrayal of 'Cordell Walker'. Cordell defends himself on numerous occaisons and on a daily basis, against single attackers and numerous attackers, some with weapons and others empty handed, you name it, he has defended himself against it. "Chun Kuk Do" has got to be the most proven art around and is documented nicely on film.
icon12.gif

Hey, if your Chuck by the simple fact you are Chuck means you are a useful Martial Art for everyday self defense :)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Learning the art of 'VERBAL JUDO" or learning about awareness and avoidance...and proper verbal language as well as body language...is the best use of self-defense.

Being humble, kind, truthful, honest, and hanging around the right people and places....will lead to a more "Un-problem life style"

Each situation may require...different langauge and tones....sometimes best to let the other side win? .....

If they get you "mad" or "angery" ....they win.....DO NOT LOSE!

Aloha ( share the "ALOHA")

ps: RUNNING AWAY IS GOOD...SO IS WALKING AWAY...just make sure you are looking back if back is turn....

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK here is a partial list of Useful Martial Art in everyday self defense.

Boxing, MMA, Bafaquan, Baguazhang, Bajiquan, Bak Mei, Black Tiger, Chaquan. Chow Gar, Choy Lay Fut, Dragon Kung Fu, Eagle Claw, Emeiquan, Fanziquan, Five Ancestors, Fujian White Crane, Gou Quan, Houquan, Huaquan, Hung Gar, Jow-Ga Kung Fue, Lau Gar, Leopard, Liuhe Bafa, Luohan Quan, Mei Hua Quant, Mian Quang, Nanquan, Northern Praying Mantis, Paochui, Piguaquan, Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan, Shaolin Quan, Shuai Jiao, Southern Praying Mantis, Taijiquan, Tantui, Tien Shan Pai, Tongbeiquan, Wing Chun. Wudangquan, Xingyiquan, Yingzhaoquan, Yiquan, Sanshou/Sanda, San soo, Eskrima (Kali), Sikaran, Kombatan, Pananjakman, Pangamut, Sikaran, Kuntao, Silat, Sindo, Aikido, Battojutsu, Bojutsu, Bujinkan, Daito-ryu, aiki-jujutsu, Genbukan, Goshin Jujitsu, Hakko Ryu, Jinenkan, Jojutsu, Judo, Jujutsu, Kenpo. Kinomichi, Ninjutsu, Shoot boxing, Shooto, Shorinji kempo, Shotokan, Shukokai, Sumo, Goju-ryu, Isshin-ryu, Karate, Okinawan kobudo, Shorin-ryu, Uechi Ryū, Hapkido, Taekwondo ,Tang Soo Do,

Now what you need to do is check out some and find out which ones best fit you, interest you most and have the best teachers.

The least you could have done was put them in alphabetical order, sheesh :rolleyes:

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't see Krav Maga and Mui Thai either tsktsk.

Anyway, no matter what Martial Art you gonna use to self-defend, I found out with centuries of experience that everything works if comes with a well used yell. Whenever your opponent is about to attack (timing is very important) start yelling even before you start moving. The yell should be something like this
"aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I want my mama!".

Latest Discussions