US won't share secret of beating roadside bomb info with allies.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Folks want to use this to reaffirm their dislike of America/American Government/Americans (whomever) because...well..they dislike Americans. Us damn Americans just want to see Brit Soldiers killed that's it..that's gotta be the reason...the end...

So tell me, did my martial arts student die along with many others last year because the Americans have chosen not to tell us something that could have saved all their lives, not to mention all those you have lost limbs?

Yup. It's an American conspiracy.

Whatever.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've lost a friend and mentor to an IED.

If the US has knowledge of how to help prevent allied deaths and won't share it then I call BS.

Especially if we won't share it with the Brits for cryin' out loud. They've been more effective in keeping secrets than we have in the past!!!

Can you imagine how WWII would have gone with this mentality?

Our "allies" are there to help, so we should be helping them any way we can. It's not rocket science.

Allied losses negatively impact our mission. We should be doing everything we can to help minimize their losses.

The excuse that sharing this data with allies could compromise the effectiveness of beating IED's is absurd.

...just further proof that our leadership needs to be replaced.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks want to use this to reaffirm their dislike of America/American Government/Americans (whomever) because...well..they dislike Americans. Us damn Americans just want to see Brit Soldiers killed that's it..that's gotta be the reason...the end...

Yup. It's an American conspiracy.

Whatever.

Grow up.

I was asking a question based on what was reported to have been said by an American soldier. I wasn't making a statement, I ASKED. A sarky answer back from you which concerned young people dying is unworthy of you.
I have also asked why this American soldier would make statements like that. A proper answer would have been welcomed. No one least of all me has expressed any hatred or even dislike for Americans and plenty of people are sorry that there are any deaths, no matter what nationality.

Incidentally the brother of that student while not a member does read this forum as I recommended it to him a while back. He's an avid martial artist but not quite old enough to join yet.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our "allies" are there to help, so we should be helping them any way we can. It's not rocket science.

Allied losses negatively impact our mission. We should be doing everything we can to help minimize their losses.

While not the sole reason, the public pressure over the mounting death toll in Canada has been instrumental in out Government's decision to exit Afghanistan in 2011.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
While not the sole reason, the public pressure over the mounting death toll in Canada has been instrumental in out Government's decision to exit Afghanistan in 2011.

Exit the combat role, but it wouldn't surprise me if we stayed on in a rebuilding role.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So where did he say he was sharing the stuff with us then?

Oh and I have warned you before about certain newspapers here but no, you all decided, as witness the sarky comments on the thread about Myleene Klass and the knife thing, that I'm the one who blames everything on biased newspapers, thanks guys. When a newspaper prints something you don't like all of a sudden our papers are twisted but when I tell you that some papers here are very politically biased you think I'm whinging about your posts and the newspapers are correct!
I've decided nothing. I don't trust any main line news source.

The retiring General said we needed better sharing. Not that we were not sharing anything. He mentioned concerns, he indicated problem areas that needed to be addressed. He did not say "Brits are dying because we won't tell them how to save their arses.".

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why then did he bring the whole subject up. He asked the question, 'why aren't we sharing stuff?'. So why? We buy our equipment from you anyway so why can't we buy whats needed? Much of NATO stock now is compatible. You may think the newspaper is biased but they didn't misquote him. In fact it's quite hard not to put the interpretation on his speech that they did.

Yes, we do buy a lot of our equipment from you, along with what you buy off companies I reckon someone is laughing all the way to the bank don't you?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I don't have access to his brain, I can't do the Vulcan Mind Meld to pull that information out.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I don't have access to his brain, I can't do the Vulcan Mind Meld to pull that information out.

He is, however, answerable to you not me! I can email 10 Downing Street and ask for an explanation when one of ours says something like that. I can email the Defence Secretary too, can you not do the same to your equivilants? I will receive a reply too.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can do that, but the generic form letters I get back never address anything I ask about.

He's also not answerable to me. He's answerable to his superiors, and ultimately the President. I can write the President, hell I wrote Hillary Clinton, but I've never received any personal reply nor answer to my inquiries before.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any idea why this soldier should have stated this, whether it's true or not it's still going to cause a great deal of damage isn't it? Is he known for being political or having an axe to grind?
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...hJournalistRupertHamerKilledInAfghanistan.htm

He just (quietly) stepped down from a cabinet position.

http://www.defencetalk.com/lynn-says-fight-against-ieds-remains-priority-23553/

There seems to be a lot to this story that we are not being told.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have not read all of the posts, but I have a few things that need to be stated.

You are worried/angry about us not sharing our techniques with you. Our own services don't share techniques or information with each other, let alone another country.

It may be mis-information, plain and simple.

I don't think anyone would say that the soldiers of the UK, Canada, or any other ally have big mouths. Its just that, the more people that know a thing, the greater the chance it will get back to the BGs.

I am a firm believer that we need to have a cross-training with our allies, but there needs to be a heavy duty screening process to decide who gets to come and train. And who they are able to share the information with. Your soldiers/countries may not have a problem with double agents, but we seem to have one right now.

I'm done.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This might be the time to let cooler heads prevail, rather than trashing relations with our allies over the allegations of one man.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO what he said probably has a large piece of truth in it. The thing is..this sort of stuff has gone on for ages, will go on for ages and is being done by the gvts. of ALL of our allies and their intelligence/security agencies to some extent or another. Hell it's going on between OUR OWN intell agencies!

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know that the Brits, the Americans and the Canadians train together all the time. In fact they patrol some places together too. I don't know the whole story but I can almost be certain that few if any of these guys hold back intel or information from each other on the front lines.

Higher up? Probably.

Latest Discussions