US won't share secret of beating roadside bomb info with allies.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
NATO wouldn't do squat EVER for ANYTHING imo.

Russia had no fear of NATO whatsoever when they invaded Georgia. They know the truth.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about why the CIA, FBI, NSA and other "three letter agencies" are not sharing their intelligence with each other.

Im fairly certain that the UK intelligence agencies (along with the rest of our allies) have some pretty good stuff they are holding close to their vests too. This story is being USED for a purpose.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So Tez, why aren't the British sharing everything they know with the US? Surely our troops lives are worth as much as your own troops lives?

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/01/gns_afghanistan_ied_info_sharing_010710/“We continue to have a tremendous problem with the jammers because each nation builds its jammers a different way,” Metz said. “No one wants to open up their box and show how the electronics works.”
Jammers are used to interfere with the signals that insurgents use to trigger bombs electronically.
Metz and other military officials have said the most effective way to counter the roadside bombs is to attack the networks of people who build and support them.
That, too, requires sharing information.
“If you’ve got some information about the network, you don’t have to share how you got that information. But it would surely be nice if your allies and your coalition partners got that part of the information that they needed to be successful,” Metz said.

Seems that the General is being misquoted by some unreliable news source, maybe over some editors agenda, or a political slant or something?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Same link
Insurgents in Afghanistan in recent years have been turning increasingly to roadside bombs and suicide attacks to target coalition forces. The number of IED attacks that killed or wounded coalition forces increased to 60 in December from 32 in December 2008. The total number of IEDs, including those that were found before they detonated, increased to 8,690 last year from 3,783 in 2008.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NATO wouldn't do squat EVER for ANYTHING imo.

Russia had no fear of NATO whatsoever when they invaded Georgia. They know the truth.

So what? NATO is there for the defence of member countries not to act as a police force between warring neighbours. Russia shouldn't have invaded Georgia but then Georgia in turn shouldn't have invaded South Ossetia. It was definitly a situation where sending foreign troops in to take either side would have been wrong. There were faults on both sides.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...mes-Georgia-for-starting-war-with-Russia.html

These things aren't as simple as many think.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then neither were the Balkans. Should have just left them alone. Germany invading Poland in 39? Eh..not our affair. "Peace in our time" and all.

NATO is a toothless tiger.

Last edited:
OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about why the CIA, FBI, NSA and other "three letter agencies" are not sharing their intelligence with each other.

Im fairly certain that the UK intelligence agencies (along with the rest of our allies) have some pretty good stuff they are holding close to their vests too. This story is being USED for a purpose.

So what information is that? You work with the military, are privy to military secrets then? Which intelligence service is witholding information and what info is is pertaining to? Are they methods of saving lives that are being withheld?
This isn't about intel btw it's about methods used to detect roadside bombs.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then neither were the Balkans. Should have just left them alone. Germany invading Poland in 39? Eh..not our affair. "Peace in our time" and all.

NATO is a toothless tiger.

Germany invading Poland certainly wasn't America's business was it? We went to war becasue of it, you didn't come along until a lot later.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tez, since your clearance level for UK military intelligence is higher than mine, could you please tell us what we haven't shared?

As to WW2, Chamberlin. All I have to say to that one.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.defencetalk.com/lynn-says-fight-against-ieds-remains-priority-23553/

Military sources say there is no question of the US refusing to use its superior technology to help save the lives of British combat troops.

The numerous -reliable & informed- articles I'm finding on this issue indicate that the problem isn't that the US isn't sharing, it's that no one is sharing efficiently and securely. That differences in policy, bureaucracy, and tradition are at the heart of the problem, not to mention differences in technology.

Metz said. “No one wants to open up their box and show how the electronics works.”

So, Tez, why won't you open your jammers up and show us how they work so we can help you? Why are you purposefully putting your own men and women in harms way by refusing to be open with us?

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know of no information that hasn't been shared tbh. I will say though that the Americans rely too much on electronic intel instead of humint. Sometimes the old ways are the best and reverting to playing the Great Game isn't a waste of time at all.

What the retired American officer is alleging is that military methods of detecting roadside bombs haven't been shared. This isn't an intel issue, this is purely a military concern, army to army.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.defencetalk.com/lynn-says-fight-against-ieds-remains-priority-23553/

Military sources say there is no question of the US refusing to use its superior technology to help save the lives of British combat troops.

The numerous -reliable & informed- articles I'm finding on this issue indicate that the problem isn't that the US isn't sharing, it's that no one is sharing efficiently and securely. That differences in policy, bureaucracy, and tradition are at the heart of the problem, not to mention differences in technology.

Metz said. “No one wants to open up their box and show how the electronics works.”

So, Tez, why won't you open your jammers up and show us how they work so we can help you? Why are you purposefully putting your own men and women in harms way by refusing to be open with us?

The jammers are yours, old son. I just help look after them lol!
The electronic spies here are all yours too btw and they are often pointing away from us and towards you lot.

"RAF Menwith Hill functions primarily as a field station of the National Security Agency (NSA), which is the largest of several elements of the US DoD represented at the base."

Hey, your retired soldier started all this not one of ours and not me, I think someone needs to ask him why don't you?

Much of what we are dealing with now is a result of what happened after the First World War and how the Allies then carved things up in the Middle East. The First World War is also responsible for the Second one. Nothing is unrelated. Attitudes taken years ago cause modern wars, if Iraq, Iran and the other countries hadn't had borders enforced and rulers imposed perhaps we wouldn't have found ourselves in the situation we are in now.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm saying your biased paper got their facts wrong, that other reliable informed sources state a bit differently. I'm not in a position to talk to him, and I'm sure he's not allowed to discuss such with a civilian.

As to the rest, can't they do something productive, like introduce soap to the French? ;)

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm saying your biased paper got their facts wrong, that other reliable informed sources state a bit differently. I'm not in a position to talk to him, and I'm sure he's not allowed to discuss such with a civilian.

As to the rest, can't they do something productive, like introduce soap to the French? ;)

You haven't been to France have you?
Don't blame me if one of your senior officers can't keep from talking to newpapers, he could have chosen an independant one rather than a Tory one though.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Press conference, not an private interview. Full article which your paper references based on the quotes indicate that the story as posted is quite skewed.

As to France, nope. No desire to either, other than to visit Normandy and pay my respects there.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Press conference, not an private interview. Full article which your paper references based on the quotes indicate that the story as posted is quite skewed.

As to France, nope. No desire to either, other than to visit Normandy and pay my respects there.

Normandy isn't France it's Normandy ask them there. Same as Provence, the Loire etc isn't France. It's like calling the Welsh english, just not done.

So where is the full article then?

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any equipment we have is usually compatible with American equipment, in many cases it's researched with the Americans.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2007/09/28/DI2007092801469.html

"McLean, Va.: Sir, although I understand you cannot reveal details, I am wondering if work is being done to detect any unique measurable signatures associated with the manufacturing of IEDs. Thank you.
Brig. Gen. Anthony Tata: We are evaluating every alternative. We are soliciting input from every possible source, including industry, academia, other nations, etc. Unfortunately in this forum we cannot share all that we are doing to protect our troops.
Boston: Is TRL Technologies (U.K. company now part of L-3) a part of the counter-IED program? They had some interesting technology developed originally in response to "The Troubles" in Northern Ireland.
Brig. Gen. Anthony Tata: We have a very close working relationship with the United Kingdom and have British officers embedded in our staff. We meet regularly to exchange information, including learning from the U.K. experience. The U.K. faces all of the same threats U.S. forces do in both Iraq and Afghanistan, so it is to our benefit to partner in all respects. "

So what's going on folks?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I included the link a few posts back.

What is going on is sloppy biased reporting by a biased publication, the misinformation picked up on by people who need an excuse to bash the US.

What I am forced to conclude here is that the UK sadly has no reliable news sources, outside of Page 3 and their constant outting of weapons of mass distraction.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I included the link a few posts back.

What is going on is sloppy biased reporting by a biased publication, the misinformation picked up on by people who need an excuse to bash the US.

What I am forced to conclude here is that the UK sadly has no reliable news sources, outside of Page 3 and their constant outting of weapons of mass distraction.

So where did he say he was sharing the stuff with us then?

Oh and I have warned you before about certain newspapers here but no, you all decided, as witness the sarky comments on the thread about Myleene Klass and the knife thing, that I'm the one who blames everything on biased newspapers, thanks guys. When a newspaper prints something you don't like all of a sudden our papers are twisted but when I tell you that some papers here are very politically biased you think I'm whinging about your posts and the newspapers are correct!

Latest Discussions