US Military Academies

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. She's plugging away. Has the essays to finish and that's it. Everything else is done, including the congressional nomination. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Success is always nice to hear from whoever. Did I read right that you're daughter wants the medical route?

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah, she's thinking optometrist, but I think she's open. She's really good with math and science, and I think would do well in engineering.

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
She interviewed with the congressman's panel last week and I think she's pretty competitive. One question is, she's really only interested j the usaf. Is it better to apply to al of the academies or is it pretty common to apply to just one?

Also, any tips on the panel interviews is helpful. She had one but hopes to also interview with our two senators.

She's definitely starting late, but I think is pretty competitive. She started the whole process about a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I was stationed at USMA. The mission and lifestyle at each academy is completely different. I don't think your daughter would be happy at West Point if her heart is set on USAFA.

D

Deleted member 32980

Yeah, my parents pushed me towards the Air Force medical area. What would be the benefits besides free schooling and 6 years? I still have time.

I don't like to be a pencil pusher.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
GI Bill, guaranteed VA loans as a veteran, free room and board, travel. Lots of benefits. But debt free out of college is a biggie. I mean, if you go to Berkeley or some other elite college for 6 years, you could be looking at 200k or more in loans. That's a tough way to start a new life.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone here familiar with the application process? Have any experience? My daughter is applying for the Air Force Academy, and the application process is a bear. Just wondering if anyone has pearls of wisdom to share. :)
I've known people who've gone to West Point. To get in you need to go as far as setting up a meeting with a congressman since you need a congressman's recommendation to join. I don't know if you need that for the Air Force Academy but I can imagine, to set up an appointment with a congressman, just what are your chances of being able to get such an appointment?

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've known people who've gone to West Point. To get in you need to go as far as setting up a meeting with a congressman since you need a congressman's recommendation to join. I don't know if you need that for the Air Force Academy but I can imagine, to set up an appointment with a congressman, just what are your chances of being able to get such an appointment?
It's the same for the Air Force Academy. You're absolutely right. You have to have a nomination, which can only be given by certain people. Senators, Congressmen and the VP are the most common, but you can also get a nomination in a few other situations, as well. Children of a Medal of Honor recipient, children of former military academy graduates, etc. She's got that taken care of, which is a relief.

Latest Discussions