Calling my MartialTalk Brothers & Sisters in the IBEW!

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This coming Wednesday, I have an appointment to go to my local IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) Union Hall (Local 313).

Although I'm only going to pick up an application to the apprenticeship program... I'm hoping to also get a chance to meet the local NJATC (National Joint Apprenticeship Training Commitee) representative as well.

With some luck, and the help of friends in the Local... I hope to be accepted into the NJATC program before (or at least close to) my 40th birthday in February.

So, having said this... what pearls of wisdom do those of you currently in the IBEW have for a newbie to the trade who is starting out at such a "seasoned" age?

Honestly, Union or not, I could use the advice of ANYONE in the electrical trade at this point... although my personal choice is to be union...

After reviewing the information on the NJACT website... I'm leaning towards either VDV Installer Technician or Residential Wireman...

Thoughts? Comments? How about tips on getting in the Union to begin with?

Thank you to any and all who respond!

Your Brother in the arts (and hopefuly the IBEW),

Andrew

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Responded to you on the other board. ;)

IM me if you would like to talk more.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the trade! I have been an Electrician for lo these many years (24 if you need a number.) It is a profession I still love. Sure, I went to different universities for other things, but have never hung up the tool pouch due to the simple fact I enjoy it, and it is a great way to put food on the table.

Can't help you much on the union side of things, I personally do not like the IBEW in the least. NOT THE ELECTRICIANS in the union, they are some of the nicest guys I've ever worked with, but the administration of the union is where my problem rests. I started out non-union and for years had to deal with "problems" that cropped up on every job site we worked on in a strong union areas (this was in Michigan.) I have worked union (Maine) and really found the crews to be enjoyable to work with. Here in Northern Maine we have a unique relationship with the IBEW, there are times the union jobs are few and far between, so they tend to work with us non-union contractors until something opens up for them. It helps the union out and it helps us out.

If I were to begin again, I would lean real heavy toward the communication/data side of the trade. Most jobs now have a data aspect to them and it tends to be a higher profit margin, and higher pay for the electrician who is doing the installation (plus it is cleaner, warmer, and looks much harder than it is :) ). It can be a very difficult job at times, but there are days where it almost feels criminal to take a paycheck for a truely enjoyable job.

All you pro-union people, please don't flame me for my opinions of the union. I don't care if somebody is union or not, it just isn't for me. My friends in the union like it, don't work without it unless they absolutly HAVE to. Some of us like them, some don't, that affliation doesn't change the simple fact we are all Electricians first. I happened to get excellant training and bosses who were non-union, to some that isn't an option; then the union is priceless. Their training program is EXCELLANT.

Good luck! Keep the magic smoke inside the wires and everything works fine, let it out, and things go bad fast. :)

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, almost forget. So post script to the above post of mine. VDV is a great aspect to the trade. Residential wireman is great in some aspects and so-so in others. Great in the fact that you are not year after year at the same location, so-so because the actual work can become stale after doing the same thing, different location every day.

I found for my ADD type personality a smaller company was best because I could be roughing in a home on Monday, for Tuesday be Sitting up the underground for a gas station, Wendsday be doing a big Pull for a Hotel entrance, Thursday standing on top of ski lift towers checking the safety switches, and on Friday be terminating Fiber Optic lines in an office building. (Actual work week not that long ago)

It will take a bit before you stop being a "cub" as we used to call noobs, but it comes and is a very good trade to be in. After all who doesn't want to flick on a light when they enter a dark room, or have a place to plug in ???????. There will always be something you can find a job doing, anywhere you want to be when you get that nice little card.

Latest Discussions