Up On Toes

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have noticed that with my crescent kicks, when I go up on toes with my planted foot the kick is harder, higher, and more comfortable.

Is this good technique though? I am wary of the path of least resistance as it may be fostering a bad habit.....or have I stumbled upon a good technique?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
knee snap?

Since it is a kick with torque I can see that it's not only a good technique but may also save your joints compared to 'flatfooted' kicks.

But the last week I read all these things about ouwies and such, I have a tweak in my calf (I am blaming Iceman for, even though he didn't do anything! ;) ) and a case of sciatica right now, the thought of kicking hurts right now.

:(

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that with my crescent kicks, when I go up on toes with my planted foot the kick is harder, higher, and more comfortable.

Is this good technique though? I am wary of the path of least resistance as it may be fostering a bad habit.....or have I stumbled upon a good technique?

I can only speck for Okinawan GoJu where all kicks are low with the supporting foot flat. As a side bar I taught high kicks but even in that case we were only on our toes long enough for positioning and by the time the kick hit the heel was down. I know as a new Karate Ka I was taught to keep the supporting foot flat and a few times when I was trying to get a very high kick off I went down. I think what happened was when my kicking foot went up at the same time as my supporting heel came off the floor I was up rooted and off balance.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Sir,

Based on the dynamics of the kick...being circular in nature, there are two points that I believe compliment your findings.

1. Being on the ball of the supporting foot allows faster rotation (as utilized with an Inside Crescent Kick <aka "out to in">)

2. The apex of speed and the ability to accelerate the kick at the precise moment of impact is greatly assisted by rising onto the toes just as the foot impacts the target (Outside Crescent Kick <aka "in to out">)

Just my thoughts on the matter, although "preferred methodology" may differ from one instructor to another!

Regards,
Spookey

OP
H

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Spookey wrote:
1. Being on the ball of the supporting foot allows faster rotation (as utilized with an Inside Crescent Kick <aka "out to in">)

That is exactly what I am finding.

2. The apex of speed and the ability to accelerate the kick at the precise moment of impact is greatly assisted by rising onto the toes just as the foot impacts the target (Outside Crescent Kick <aka "in to out">)

While my Inside Crescents are coming along nicely, the Outside crescents need a lot of work. I'll try adding this idea later today to a workout.

Granfire wrote:
Since it is a kick with torque I can see that it's not only a good technique but may also save your joints compared to 'flatfooted' kicks.

Funny you should mention it. I've gone to doing a lot of crescents as they do not hurt my right SI joint as much. Staying flatfooted really tweaks the Rt SI joint as well.

If I'm not really warmed up and stretched properly, a stretch kick or jumping right front kick will put me on my knees. The right SI joint is slowly becoming less of a problem, but for a couple of weeks it has been a real bear.

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It is faster to turn with a bent knee, then lifting or "snapping" it to full extension at target. This increases the speed and we teach this technique advanced students.

It works, how I know this is because I smashed a new fellows finger nails when he put his hand out to stop a kick.

Pulling from the hip speeds it even more, it's all timing.

OP
H

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MasterWright wrote:
It is faster to turn with a bent knee, then lifting or "snapping" it to full extension at target.

It sounds to me like you are describing a round kick rather than a crescent kick.

My crescents do not extend at the knee much if any.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
MasterWright wrote:

It sounds to me like you are describing a round kick rather than a crescent kick.

My crescents do not extend at the knee much if any.

No, I understand what he is saying.

Let me break it down. Chamber your leg like you would for a absic front snap kick (any kick really...but I don't want this confused with a roundhouse kick). You may even want to chamber the kick slightly off center.

From here, you initiate your crescent kick (out to in or in to out depending) by straightening your leg "up" while using your hips to provide the bulk of the side-to-side movement. Your leg shoudl reach full extension at the apex of the arc just at the moment of impact. You retract your leg back to chamber on the descending portion of the arc.

This then makes the crescent kick more of a "whip-snap" kick....certainly it's much fast this way.

Peace,
Erik

OP
H

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
BlueKey88 wrote:
Let me break it down. Chamber your leg like you would for a absic front snap kick (any kick really...but I don't want this confused with a roundhouse kick). You may even want to chamber the kick slightly off center.

From here, you initiate your crescent kick (out to in or in to out depending) by straightening your leg "up" while using your hips to provide the bulk of the side-to-side movement. Your leg should reach full extension at the apex of the arc just at the moment of impact. You retract your leg back to chamber on the descending portion of the arc.

That would be much faster than my crescent. I understand now.

Thanx to you both.

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No, I understand what he is saying.

From here, you initiate your crescent kick (out to in or in to out depending) by straightening your leg "up" while using your hips to provide the bulk of the side-to-side movement. Your leg shoudl reach full extension at the apex of the arc just at the moment of impact. You retract your leg back to chamber on the descending portion of the arc.

This then makes the crescent kick more of a "whip-snap" kick....certainly it's much fast this way.

Peace,
Erik

Thanks Blue Key, Your way of explaining is extremely helpfull. I hope it produces good results.

Latest Discussions