Unorganized Moron Protesting Has Gone Global

OP
J

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
They *are* morons. Violent, ugly, evil, morons.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204002304576633542169585716.html

Ah, so it's about debt and the fact that it is evil. I see.

No, wait, it's about the bailouts and unemployment!

Oh, never mind, it's about the evil corporations.

There's "no worldwide anti-capitalist network, unfortunately," Ms. Bogart said.

Whoops, it's about anti-capitalism. I see.

Oh, so it's about...uh...cowardice? I guess.

Yes, it's perfectly clear. The protesters want...uh, what was it again? Jobs, evil corporations shut down, capitalism ended, debt outlawed, no more bailouts, and urging their fellow protesters to 'fight' the police but then running away and pushing the others towards the police from behind instead.

No, those aren't morons at all. What was I thinking?

I see your point, but your not seeing the cause of the effect. Why are people gathering? Why did they need unemployment? Why weren't they able to keep their homes. Why does the economy suck? You know, the causes. When was the last time in your life-time these things all happened within a short time span? Or so many people protesting, once, twice? It has to be pretty bad for us complacent lazy *** white folk to get our asses off the couch, or away from the keyboard and actually do something out of our comfort zone to protest something to this extent and magnitude.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It has to be pretty bad for us complacent lazy *** white folk to get our asses off the couch, or away from the keyboard and actually do something out of our comfort zone to protest something to this extent and magnitude.

I tend to agree with this. I mean, this does require effort and most of the losers I've known lack the drive to protest, regardless of cause.

I have 1 question for all the protesters though...."Do you vote"?
Because, 40-50%+ of the people don't.

So I want to know how many of those claiming they have no voice, don't vote.
I'd also like to know, how many have written (not emailed) or -called- their elected representatives.
I've called Brian Higgen's office a half dozen times at least. Always had nice chats with the folks at the other end.
I've not tried to get an appointment to see him so can't say how that works out.
I've emailed (got form letters back), and snail mailed (got lots more info back).

You only have a voice if you use it, and waving a sign in a park may make you feel good, but it is inefficient, IMO, compared to going directly to the one best positioned to help you.

OP
J

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I hear ya Bob. I know what you are saying I agree (with an exception) and it spurred these general thoughts. How many of us keyboard critics have gotten down there in the heart of the protesting, and seen it for ourselves, got answers for ourselves? That does change a person, when you have contact, when you share an experience, when personal bias is suspended it is a whole different perspective when you sit from afar. Bob here is a slight divergent in our opinions, getting down the with a sign (yea, agreed there is some stupid signs, but not all) is better than bitching on a forum about it. That is inline with the idea of, if you don't vote, stop yer bitching. That, there ain't much room to complain if you haven't been down there. If you haven't seen it for yourself, if you haven't see or talked to the protesters face to face.

*Am not saying I have been down there, I also sit from afar. I too depend on the media.

Last edited:
OP
J

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
**The media is selective of what they show, based on politics, bias, and time. They learned as a result of their Vietnam coverage of one incident sparked social out-rage shifting public opinion strongly against the war. The hum of hippie anti-war protests was turned into a shot heard around the world. Sweeping the country like wild fire. The media also shift public opinion broadcasting the Kent state shooting of protesters causing protests; how the authorities try to squelch it. As a result these and other 60's events like the social protests for civil rights changed the media in it's covered such events and created a cooperative relationship with the government. The coverage of the protests- both verbal and visual coverage is a controlled view.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once saw a piece of graffiti that said 'if voting changed anything the government would ban it'.
Certainly many people feel that voting doesn't change anything, politicians still get in, 'real' people don't. The elected may seem alright to start with but the trappings of parliament/government/being elected/office whatever seems to kick in, they start claiming their expenses, they have underlings who toady up, they get to feel they are so much more important than the electorate and worst perhaps, they start thinking they know best. They all do it, they all get seduced by the feeling they are something so much more than the common people, it's almost a messiah syndrome. All politicians from all parties get this, that's why communism doesn't work, it's not the system it's the people. It's why capitalism doesn't work either, it's all down to people. So we vote, we just get the same from a different lot of politicians so perhaps it's no wonder there's a desperation about our government and our politicians.

OP
J

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Great point. And good observation. Tez what you said, is what I believe people know in the backs of their heads. I think those who are on Wall Street protesting it isn't the first form of action they have taken, such as emailing, phoning etc. their congressmen and got only lips service. The last administration's mis-management and mis-handling of this country and the apathy of this administration to fix things, and the Government support those institutions which took advantage of this country and it's people. This has moved people to the streets. And has had an effect on the world, inspiring protest globally. All in all, showing the world wants corporate and financially accountability. The protests are about influencing and getting change. The constitution of these protesters are not board simpletons looking for an reason to hold a sign. It is reasonable people globally not being heard or taken seriously that there has to be financial, corporate and institutional, accountability.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OP
J

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am just reiterating what some pundits have been saying about the protest. Many pundits slyly suggest the protester are a bunch of liberal Obama loving idiots.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am just reiterating what some pundits have been saying about the protest. Many pundits slyly suggest the protester are a bunch of liberal Obama loving idiots.

I see. Well, the pundits don't seem to be paying attention, either that or OWS isn't. It is interesting OWS would choose to occupy Wall Street rather than Washington D.C. OWH (Occupy White House) may be more impactful.

2008 Securities and Investment Industry Sector Donations:

Obama: $15,798,904 http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/indus.php?cycle=2008&cid=N00009638
McCain: $9,220,990 http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/indus.php?cid=N00006424

OP
J

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
They didn't occupy Washington cause it was too far of a walk. Seriously, you can't get close enough to Washington these days. Imagine the security threat and opportunity if they did. It is a good thing they didn't physically go there. Wall Street in my opinion has a strong influence and connection to the White House, Wall Street is good enough.

I am not over looking the political symbolism of them not going to Washington, i.e. it is a liberal protest. That indication protesters are liberals and it is a liberal movement is used indirectly by some pundits. They yet have to come out directly, saying it is a liberal protest against Wall Street mismanagement. That would be too much disclosure to do so.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't believe I found this one before Mattocks...
tumblr_lt1mh1AFfB1qcbo9lo1_500.jpg

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let them march all they want, so long as they continue to pay their taxes. --Al Haig

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but, they don't.

You know that for certain that every single protestor doesn't pay taxes?

It would seem there are employed people there who do pay taxes.
http://blogs.reuters.com/david-cay-johnston/2011/10/07/occupy-wall-street/

"Dan Halloran, a New York City councilman from Queens with an affinity for libertarians like Republican U.S. Congressman Ron Paul, waded into the crowd and kept people interested in his views on the economy’s failings and the need for markets.
“From what I saw on TV I would have thought that everyone here would be a communist, under 30, never held a job,” he said, describing that media image as cartoonish. He said people with whom he had spoken, including those with whom he disagreed fundamentally, were both eager to work and afraid, not knowing what happened exactly, but insistent that they needed work and that their elected leaders seemed not to care."

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is amazing the shallowness of thought that is being put into this topic. The inherent contradictions in some of the sterotypes are also quite startling.

I don't have the figures for the USA but here is the current thumbnail sketch on the cash balance of benefit-scrougers vs hard-done-by-millionaires in the UK:

£28B unpaid tax, mostly from the top 5% bracket of earners

£20.8B housing benefit, most going to pensioners or disabled with 13% (£2.7B) to the unemployed

£12.7B unclaimed benefits plays against £2.7B purloined by benefit cheats

So, looking at that, where does the fiscal problem lie and who are the ones who should have earned themselves some anger and derision from working people such as myself, who live their lives by the law and end up paying something like 50% tax one way or the other?

It should be noted that I cannot claim absolute purity of atribution to those numbers but even as simple exemplars of trend they still tell the tale.

OP
J

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is funny how hard are the critics work to degrade the protestors, yet the numbers of protesters are growing and it has gone globally. The protesters are suppose to be clueless unorganized wealth hating idiots on the fringe of society, with nothing better to do but sleep on Wall Streets door step. Yet if that is true what is the reason for that? Why so many clueless unorganized wealth hating idiots on the fringe of society, and it seems that everyday there are more and more of them all over the world.

Here is an unspoken issue. The wealthy don't give up their money up easily. Hence one reason for their wealth. They expect everyone else too give up their money, i.e. expecting everyone else to pay taxes. This creates a problem for people struggling and who are not part of that abstract 1% ers because higher taxes on the rich means they are the ones who really are picking up the tab via adjusted tax code for the 1%, and all those loop holes they get. These people know that it will always be that way, and the wealthy if they are told to pay more, it falls on their shoulders. The result is well if you can't beat them join them in fear. So these poor bastards are trapped and have to side with the wealthy against the wealthy being taxed. They can't protest on their own concerns to have things changed, they know the trap they are in so when they see people who do protest they experience fear of being further taxed, and envy as they are unable to protest for their interest. This pleases the wealth as wealth makes you dependent on others to do things for you, so they expect other people to mow their lawn, manage their money, politicians to support their interest, and others to pay their taxes. And most of all have others fight for what threatens them, to protect their wealth with little or no compensation. Again,this was seen thousands of years ago through up until today, and will be tomorrow.

OP
J

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The major common thread issue here is that the protesters are NOT demanding to be millionaires. That point is being bury with great effort under pundit's noise, and their sophomoric criticisms.

Latest Discussions