Unorganized Moron Protesting Has Gone Global

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Protests and demos like this are actually fairly common in Europe, they've been doing it for centuries. It's quite common for people to take to the streets if they don't like something. It keeps European governments on their toes lol. We've had quite a few in the UK over the years too. We tend to have more anarchists than the States. We also like to come out onto the streets and let the idiots in charge know who's really in charge!
It can actually make governments change things ie the 'Poll Tax' got changed because we didn't like it, they didn't listen so they got riots. Messy? of course but hey it's better than lying down and getting shafted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poll_Tax_Riots

The recetn riots were not political they were criminal but that too are historical, many a monarch in our past has had reason to fear the mob.
While I'm sure the Wall Street lot are an inconvience people do seem to get their blood pressure up over them far more than they are worth.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
This particular set of circumstances is a little less common in the USA. I think the last time we saw anything similar to it would be the protests of the late 60s and early 70s, mostly related to the Vietnam war. Most politicians were slow to catch on then that things weren't like they used to be. I expect they will be this time too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the old days monarchies recognised that a bit of mindless violence by the mobs was carthartic as do governments now. From the public point of view it reminds governments of the French and Russian revolutions as well as the English Civil War, stops them getting too smug. Here of course the police and armed forces are loyal to the monarchy not a government so it keeps the politicians just that bit on edge. The other we do is satirise, mock and not treat politicians to any respect, that includes any Prime Minister.
I imagine the American government is quite pleased with the Wall Street demos if the talk on here is anything to go by, Americans are so busy condemning the demonstrators I suspect the politician's PR types are having a field day slipping out all the unwelcome news un-noticed as all focus is on Wall Street.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think unfortunately because the Occupy Wall Street movement has no coherent voice (and which is naturally because protestors are not economic experts to provide either solutions or one common plan that everyone can get behind) it means that the whole shebang is apt to be hijacked by every which loudhaler-brandishing spin-doctor who themselves can be working for anyone from the media themselves (to rabble-rouse and create a little juicy violence) to all-and-sundry political interests (to further their "real" connections to the proletariat) to Michael Moores and Ron Pauls and this side and that side and various egocentric celebs and just everyone who thinks they can make something of it.

I have said it before, Occupy Wall Street, because it has no forethought, could be something that could work for the genuine good of the working people, and but because there is no organisation, no voice and no plan it is now being hijacked for every nefarious end under the sun.

I have no time for sheep.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
2percent.jpg

OP
J

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not all the worldwide protests were violent, pointless or done by morons.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...against-corporate-greed-and-cuts-2371357.html

This is a good point. Historically protests are important. If some people who are not in favor of the protests say they where the only ones specifically taxed over 10% of what they are now or their investments taken away, you would see protests by this people to be of total chaos, violent and wide spread. Far more unorganized and dangerous. Critics and opposition would be shot on sight. Sabotage and random attacks of communication, media, and other institutions would be rampant. It would not be peaceful at all. Not by far. It would be completely different than what is happening now.

Tez you have made good points about protests in Europe and their effectiveness on government.

OP
J

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Clearly the idea of the protests having one clear voice isn't a requirement. A collated of many reason to protest under one movement has proven effective. As much as people complain, criticize, etc. it hasn't stop disgruntled people from getting together and voice their concerns as a protest. The current protest has one major theme that is supported by many, agains one major issue fault against many that created it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They *are* morons. Violent, ugly, evil, morons.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204002304576633542169585716.html
Holding signs reading "debt is slavery," "in a gentle way you can change the world," and "We are not anonymous," the protesters stopped traffic in busy Midtown Manhattan streets and provided a new spectacle for tourists and New Yorkers amid the bustle of iconic Times Square.

Ah, so it's about debt and the fact that it is evil. I see.

It was one of the largest demonstrations yet from the Occupy Wall Street movement, which has camped out in a Lower Manhattan park since Sept. 17 to protest finance industry bailouts, unemployment

No, wait, it's about the bailouts and unemployment!

"It's a very impassioned important movement. The country is being taken over by corporations,"

Oh, never mind, it's about the evil corporations.

There's "no worldwide anti-capitalist network, unfortunately," Ms. Bogart said.

Whoops, it's about anti-capitalism. I see.

Around 6:15 p.m. there were three arrests at 46th St. and 7th Ave. of individuals trying to take down police barriers. As arrests were made, a few began chanting "fight back" but most did not take up the cry. Some who tried to pull down barriers would run to the back of the crowd to avoid arrest, and also push the crowd from the back to confront police.

Oh, so it's about...uh...cowardice? I guess.

Yes, it's perfectly clear. The protesters want...uh, what was it again? Jobs, evil corporations shut down, capitalism ended, debt outlawed, no more bailouts, and urging their fellow protesters to 'fight' the police but then running away and pushing the others towards the police from behind instead.

No, those aren't morons at all. What was I thinking?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The whole country is a group of unorganized morons. Grab ten random angry people and as them why and you'll get ten different answers. The difference between you and them is that when they are angry they get up and do something. When you are angry, you get on the interwebs and waste your energy. Tell me, how is doing nothing, or worse doing the same damn thing that made you angry, better then doing something different?

Where are the morons? Look in the mirror. Get off your ***.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makalakumu, how is marching up and down on Wall street doing anything other than closing down sandwich shops and other small businesses who are being assaulted by the protestors on a daily basis. Read my other post on actually Occupying somewhere useful, like capital hill and the whitehouse and ESPECIALLY, the homes of Reid, Pelosi, Barney Frank and Chris Dodd, and Dick durbin, and their offices. They are the actual 1% of the wealthiest people in the country and they are the actual LEVERS of power in the country. Occupy their neighborhoods for a month and you might actually see the actual greedy people, the politicians, who take the corporate money and then vote for the bad policies, change their votes. Check out my other post.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The whole country is a group of unorganized morons. Grab ten random angry people and as them why and you'll get ten different answers. The difference between you and them is that when they are angry they get up and do something. When you are angry, you get on the interwebs and waste your energy. Tell me, how is doing nothing, or worse doing the same damn thing that made you angry, better then doing something different?

Where are the morons? Look in the mirror. Get off your ***.

How is marching on a bank changing public policy? Especially if you can't (or refuse to) say what it is you want the bankers and/or representatives to actually do? Yeah, that's moronic.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/280258/occupy-detroit-obama-paradox-henry-payne

Occupy Detroit: The Obama Paradox
October 16, 2011 12:09 P.M.
By Henry Payne

Detroit, Grand Circus Park — Despite their grassroots pretensions, the Occupy Detroit protesters are very much a Democratic-party movement. Indeed, it is profoundly pro-Obama movement. Obama’s roots are as a community organizer, and the community-organized radicals of Occupy Detroit are his children. In Grand Circus Park on Friday, Rev. Jeremiah Wright would not have been out of place “God-damning America.”

So the most jarring irony of Friday’s anti-corporate rally was that Obama himself was just 40 miles away at a General Motors plant — the mother of all corporations — in Lake Orion, north of Detroit.

In fact, Obama was celebrating his bailout of GM and Chrysler — bailouts that the Occupy movement claims to loathe. But as the Obama-Occupy alliance proves, it is a false loathing. The Occupiers do not so much oppose bailouts as crave them for themselves.

All the demonstrators I spoke with were aware of Obama’s dance with the devil in Lake Orion — and they applauded him for it. After all, both events were heavily populated by UAW members. While Obama was flanked by UAW members at his 2:00 p.m. GM rally, the 6:00 p.m. Occupy Detroit crowd was flush with UAW members from organizations like Detroit Local 160 (the UAW is more than autos — it is also one of the state’s largest public-employee unions).

Instead of resenting Obama’s $50 billion for GM, they want federal bailouts for their own difficulties: To pay off home mortgages, student loans, health-care bills.

“Obama inherited a disaster, but he is doing what he can. GM does provide jobs,” said activist Keith Gunter of Peace Action of Michigan. “It’s a good thing Obama agreed to save them.”

A pro-Obama group of Albion College students was slightly more cynical — “Who else is there to vote for?” one lamented — and hoped that the president would do more to bail out their student-loan debt.

Oh, we hate the bailouts; of the banks. The bailouts of the auto industry? Well that was good. It saved union jobs. And while we're at it, bail out our student loans. How about NO? I paid for my student loan, every penny. In fact, I make my last payment this December. And that's bad why?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Makalakumu, how is marching up and down on Wall street doing anything?

It's being seen. It's being repeated. It gets people thinking about politics. It's NOT throwing our anger into a ballot box to be dissipated by a corrupt two party system. It's getting people to step outside the box and do something different, and I know that is the root of the scaring the crap out of certain people.

I'm going today. I've got a big Ron Paul sign with End the Fed on the back.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should take that sign to Harry Reids house, his office and the home and office of Pelosi, Durbin, frand and Dodd. That might actually get their attention. Right now, you are standing out on the street, in the rain and cold while they enjoy their weekenc, accepting corporate cash and planning the next bad policy decision for the country over a tasty beverage and a nice dinner with their friends and family.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should take that sign to Harry Reids house, his office and the home and office of Pelosi, Durbin, frand and Dodd. That might actually get their attention. Right now, you are standing out on the street, in the rain and cold while they enjoy their weekenc, accepting corporate cash and planning the next bad policy decision for the country over a tasty beverage and a nice dinner with their friends and family.

Actually, I'll be out there with my sign, standing in the sun by the ocean, watching some delectable surf roll in and enjoying the sea breezes. I'm going to the corner of Kapahulu and Kalakaua, the heart of Waikiki, in Honolulu. We'll have a BBQ in Queen Kapiolani park and enjoy some tasty beverages this evening. Meanwhile, I'm going to target Lefties and connect the Occupy Wall Street issues to Local issues from a Libertarian perspective. I think it's important for people in Hawaii (and everywhere else) to realize that Liberal governments are abused by the corporations as well. For example, in Hawaii, we had a big local business, called the Superferry, a couple of large ships that provided a much needed alternative for personal commerce between islands. When the Superferry started to eat into airline industries and cargo shipping profit margins, they started a campaign to "Save the Whales" and convinced all of the hippies that the Superferry was going to kill every baby whale between the islands. Never mind that the shipping companies and the military are constantly driving boats to and fro. The corporations got an injunction, the Superferry went out of business, and the Airlines and shipping companies jacked up their rates.

Let's see how the "bleeding hearts" like being told about being tools of the corporations!!!

Latest Discussions