US Protests spread to 1000 cities

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/203434.html

The "Occupy Wall Street" movement began demonstrations against corporate greed and unemployment in mid-September and has continued staging protest rallies.

As of Friday morning, the website "Occupy Together," a hub for nationwide events in solidarity with "Occupy Wall Street" reported gatherings in 1,000 cities.

On Thursday, activists kicked off the "October 2011" protest by occupying Freedom Plaza, near the White House and Washington DC's downtown business and corporate section.

Rallies have spread from Freedom Plaza to McPherson Square, where "Occupy DC" is being staged by people that are younger and more grassroots.

Demonstrators are protesting the US financial system, corporatism, and joblessness, among other things.

Now there isn't really an excuse to not get involved. No matter which team you identify with, there is plenty to agree upon...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They would exclude many of us for having jobs and bathing regularly.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I agree that these protestors should pay more attention to cleaning up after themselves, being polite to the men and women who protect us from criminals, and should clear out so peope who own businesses and work 16 hours a day can actually get some business done. I can agree with those things.

I still think the picture of the guy pooping on the police car pretty much says everything you need to know about these silly people.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a friend who attended Occupy Seattle for about 5 hours. According to him they're a disjointed mashup of idealists, radicals, intellectuals, blithering idiots, and listless people who have absolutely nothing better to do. Add that to a general lack of cohesion or direction, and you have a big chaotic mess.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People may have different opinions on what to do, but when I can stand across from people who have diametrically opposed politics to mine and point at the same problem, we've gotten pretty far.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm the type of guy who might get lynched there. A devout objectivist, capitalist with 2 jobs. Nah, I won't be staning in the street complaining about lack of employment while not looking for a job or asking for government for handouts so I can sit in a park throwing slurs at some of the institutions that produce money.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not getting lynched and talking about solving problems without the initiation of force. That's the angle you have to take.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm just glad I don't work downtown anymore, though both my trains I usually take pass close by there so I've seen/heard my fair share of them. They do try to talk to me though, I have the long hair and I guess because I'm a metalhead wearing a band t-shirt I must be one of their ilk. No, not because I don't cut my hair and play guitar doesn't mean I'm gonna hod hands and sing campfire songs and talk about sharing everything.

The country is not in a good place, but financially and employment-wise we have been far worse. Bitching and moaning for handouts doesn't help, making it difficult for other people to get to work doesn't help. What does help is working. You may not get or have the job you want, but keep your head down and work and go to school at the same time, install some sort of 5 year plan. Uncle Sam won't do everything, and shouldn't in a country built upon personal freedom and responsibiity.

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Spreading to a thousand cities, protesters morons or not, it is really good to see us get passionate about something which would probably not have happened if it wasn't for the unemployed in this country as a result of Wall Street and Corporations. It it good people peacefully protest Wall Street I hope it spreads every city in the country. There is hope for this country yet. This is what this country was founded on. As so many forget that.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
freedomdemotivator.jpg

kegage

Green Belt
Reaction score
In support of the "Occupy Together" movement, a friend of mine posted a " We are the 99%" poster. Below is my response. I had a conversation with a gentleman last night who told me he was a part of the "Occupy Memphis" protest yesterday. During the discussion I asked him if he was speaking for himself, or was he trying to speak for the movement. He said that he could speak as a representative of the Occupy Movement, at least locally. I made sure he understood what that meant and he said he did. We had a very long, useful, and calm conversation. His statements were well thought out. He used all the correct buzzwords like "revolution" and called the corporate CEOs the right names like "capitalist pig" and the politicians "treasonous dogs". He allowed that the list of so-called "demands" that have been published and are widespread over the internet, are not in actuality from the de facto leadership, but could not tell me who the leaders were, or if there were leaders. However, he did agree in principle with some of the demands, but could not tell me how to implement them, or how they could be done if the below goals were achieved, but they should happen. He also could not tell me what their goals were other than in generalities, and those were to: Radically reform the economic system, Keep capitalism, but end the "cronyism", Smaller and fiscally responsible government, Return to the original concepts and operate within the constitution, Get rid of the current politicians and replace them with people who will truly represent the people and not pander to corporations and special interest groups (Sounds familiar). When he spoke of the politicians being "treasonous", I ask if he knew what treason was. His reply was, "Not adhering to the will of the people." It was a good conversation, but he did not have answers or solutions for the most basic questions. He was understandably irritated and frustrated with the system, and was more about protest slogans and complaining than solutions. He kept referring to the "movement' as being embryonic, but it would grow and "sweep over the nation" and all of this stuff would be figured out in the future.

kegage

Green Belt
Reaction score
I tried to edit the post, but it wouldn't work. Here is the way it is supposed to read. Not a lot of difference, but some. In support of the "Occupy Together" movement, a friend of mine posted a " We are the 99%" poster on Facebook. Below is my response. I had a conversation with a gentleman last night who told me he was a part of the "Occupy Memphis" protest yesterday. During the discussion I asked him if he was speaking for himself, or was he trying to speak for the movement. He said that he could speak as a representative of the Occupy Movement, at least locally. I made sure he understood what that meant and he said he did. We had a very long, useful, and calm conversation. His statements were well thought out. He used all the correct buzzwords like "revolution" and called the corporate CEOs the right names like "capitalist pig" and the politicians "treasonous dogs". He allowed that the list of so-called "demands" that have been published and are widespread over the internet, are not in actuality from the de facto leadership, but could not tell me who the leaders were, or if there were leaders. However, he did agree in principle with some of the demands, but could not tell me how to implement them, or how they could be done if the below goals were achieved, but they should happen. He also could not tell me what their goals were other than in generalities, and those were to: Radically reform the economic system, Keep capitalism, but end the "cronyism", Smaller and fiscally responsible government, Return to the original concepts and operate within the constitution, Get rid of the current politicians and replace them with people who will truly represent the people and not pander to corporations and special interest groups (Sounds familiar). When he spoke of the politicians being "treasonous", I ask if he knew what treason was. His reply was, "Not adhering to the will of the people." It was a good conversation, but he did not have answers or solutions for the most basic questions. He was understandably irritated and frustrated with the system, and was more about protest slogans and complaining than solutions. He kept referring to the "movement' as being embryonic, but it would grow and "sweep over the nation" and all of this stuff would be figured out in the future.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a friend who attended Occupy Seattle for about 5 hours. According to him they're a disjointed mashup of idealists, radicals, intellectuals, blithering idiots, and listless people who have absolutely nothing better to do. Add that to a general lack of cohesion or direction, and you have a big chaotic mess.

Ripe for some kind of charismatic leader. A messiah. When do they stop chanting and start building bombs?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
JUST GO. It's nothing to be afraid of. Americans worry so much about stepping outside the box. They make all kinds of excuses and compromises. It's all based off of low grade horizontal political bullying. When you stand out and call the bluff, there are no teeth behind it...yet.

If you get out now, while we are still nominally free, it will be easier. If you wait, the price only gets higher.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JUST GO. It's nothing to be afraid of. Americans worry so much about stepping outside the box. They make all kinds of excuses and compromises. It's all based off of low grade horizontal political bullying. When you stand out and call the bluff, there are no teeth behind it...yet.

If you get out now, while we are still nominally free, it will be easier. If you wait, the price only gets higher.

I am getting closer to my father in his outlook as I get older. He hated hippies; I didn't understand why. Now I do. I understand the threat to my society, to my way of life. I don't like the economic situation; I don't like the way the future looks. But I really do not like this nonsense.

These morons do not speak for me. They'd better quit claiming they do. And they had really better stay the F out of my way.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am getting closer to my father in his outlook as I get older. He hated hippies; I didn't understand why. Now I do. I understand the threat to my society, to my way of life. I don't like the economic situation; I don't like the way the future looks. But I really do not like this nonsense.

These morons do not speak for me. They'd better quit claiming they do. And they had really better stay the F out of my way.

How do these protests threaten the society in which you live?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How do these protests threaten the society in which you live?

http://detnews.com/article/20111009...-for-Occupy-Detroit?google_editors_picks=true

Videos have caught incidents of Jewish passers-by being taunted by the protesters — of course, it's a quick step from attacking financial institutions to indulging anti-Semitism.

State lawmakers in New York have received emails reportedly connected to Occupy Wall Street containing this cheery call to action: "It's time to kill the wealthy."

That's how.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Did you see this?

Latest Discussions