Uniform change?

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
browsing through the tkd forum, a similar thread made me start wondering about you guys and your gi's.

does what you wear change at any specific rank?

in my studio, you wear a black gi, and when you get a blue belt you get a black gi with a white stripe down the side of the pants and a white top with a black neckline.

you dont HAVE to wear it, a lot of people only wear the pants and the regular black gi top, or dont wear it at all. But the option is there.

what about you guys, any uniform changes?

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our standard for the most part has always been a black gi. As an instructor though we can choose whatever color gi we want to wear, or a combination thereof :)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
No required changes here, however, most black belts wear a full black gi, most of our students wear gi pants, t-shirt, and belt. For instructors it is simply about keeping a professional appearance. We are a pretty informal school, and a black gi is the norm when testing, but I would love to have a uniform requirement, it just looks better. :)

Lamont

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My associations is White until Brown Belt, then as an instructor you can wear black, as this was the IKKA standard requirement.

My school requirement is different. Hmm...., let's see, it was 97-99 degrees in yesterday's class with 85%+ humidity (and yes, I turned on both fans-but no a/c), gi pants and a T-Shirt work for me unless you are testing, teaching or in a seminar or tournament. My school uniform is Black and Black, but we used to train in an enviornment where if you hit the ground, you nice new white uniform was no longer white ... ever. So it was a practical decision on my part to go with Black.

-Michael

L

lonekimono10

you know Mike WAY back when i started everyone from white belt up to Green belt had to wear a white gi, Brown and Black belts had to wear Black, and of course all the ranks up to Brown had to wear their belt on the side that went with their gender, .
At my school we all wear BlACK

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Except for the summer months, we wear white gi's for the underbelts, and black belts and instructors have black ones. Over green belt you can switch from white pants to red or blue. In the summer everyone wears gi pants and club t-shirts.
Aqua

K

Kempogeek

Our uniforms are also complete black top and pants from the rank of white belt on. Like others here, during the summer we can wear club t-shirts, belt and pants but only during class. Tests and seminars are complete uniforms......Steve

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
White Gi until Brown then option of White top and black pants and at 1st Dan black you can wear a full black. Black top and white pants only if you are the highest ranked instructor and leading the class. Promotions are always in full white, it is required. You can always wear any combo that is allowed for a belt rank below what you ahve earned.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In Our School
Students = All Black (It washes easier)
Instructors = Salt & Pepper (White top, Black Pants.. Or The Other Way)
Senior Instructors = White Jacket & Black Trim
Then we have a Demo Team Uniform and in the Park training or outside summer is Black Pants and a Golden Dragon Black T-Shirt.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
All black from day one. After black belt you can wear whatever color you want...as long as it's black....

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score
White Gi until black, once Black Belt is reached you can wear Black, Red or blue. In regular classes everyone is allowed to wear a black Gi because it washes easier, but during tests, tournaments, presentations or any other we have to wear the correct Gi.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Students-All White

Assistant Instructors-All Black

Senior Instructors-White Top/Black Pants

No stripes...no colors....

Summer-White Pants/T-Shirts

Kmac

White Belt
Reaction score
White to Orange belt - White gi's or White gi pants and school t-shirt
Purple and beyond - Black gi or black pants with red stripe and school t-shirt.
After purple belt it's really up to you what color uni. to wear. And the belt stays at your hip (right or left depending on gender) until brown belt.

wow, I just confused myself with all that...

-PJ

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wanted to edit/add, for self defense classes, half of the time-"sweats" and the other half-"street clothing".

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
TKD-all white until BB then you get stripes down the sleeves and pants.

Chito-ryu: all white until Green belt then combinations of white and black, instructors wear what they want.

Isshin-ryu: all white all the time, no exceptions.

Kobudo: white pants, black jacket from day 1 tothe end of time.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
At my last school it was a white top and pants until purple, then it could be solid black or white. Once BB was reached, it was ok to mix and match.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
At purple belt we switched over to black, though every week after testing was "street clothes week"

Though wearing GIs helps me to get into training mode, much like putting on a suit and tie for formal occasions, training in street clothes gave me another sense of confidence. Street clothes week was also the time when we'd do more unconventional training methods, including multiple attacks.

L

lonekimono10

i like that,look i'll gas up the car and i'll be over,,,lets say in a about 2 weeks
it's a long ride from Jersey:) oh and i'll bring my rainbow gi, i mean what with the way everyone has all these colors going,i'll be right in tune. (LOL)

Latest Discussions