To Gi Or Not To Gi ?

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We also have classes where we wear only street clothes. Students come in wearing what they would normally go out on the town in. Jeans, dress pants, (though no women have come in party dresses as of yet hahaa) This is the only time we allow shoes cross the 'line'. A few seams have ripped *chuckles* but hey it shows the student what it feels like to kick etc in their normal garb. Thank goodness we don't have any 'wiggers'~!! I have no clue how they keep their pants up much less trying to kick in those huge legged pants~! *G* Girls have found platform shoes not to be conducive to anything, running, kicking etc.. they now have adopted flats in real time.~!

Ghi's are great for androgynous uniforms. As long as the student can break the mind bend that it's not the 'magic' of the ghi that creates the martial artist but the martial artist is whom they are naked or clothed.

Adjusting a ghi in respect is fine. turning your back to your instructor and doing so is great. ( we do that after warmups and before greeting our Instructors.
What I have issues with is whilst sparring someone.. and they stop in the middle of the match and fuss with their top etc, smoothing things down.. well that's rather silly to me. who cares if the top or belt is off kilter during a technique or sparring? Their concentration should be on much more important matters ..
Just my thoughts ;)
Tess

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
one thing is to make sure the uniform fits properly in the first place and the belt is tied tight to start with. Short gi tops always come out and causes constant "re-tucking" of the darn thing!

I like Uniforms for Training purposes..... it is the proper dress. Now I also have announced to come to class and wear OLD Clothes (girls 2 t-shirts) and we get real rowdy and attack as in the street. The differences and reactions are amusing and sometimes informative....... I saw one female come to height of emotion that I didn't think she had....... she was so upset that someone tore her shirt that she "unloaded on the guy" LOL caught us all off guard........ but was great to discuss and evaluate the class and what happened to everyone and how they felt later.

:asian:

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber

The interpretation of British law with regards to self defence is something that I look into often and with interest, it pivots around the use of acceptable force.

Here, if someone goes for you, you may use whatsoever force is necessary to protect yourself, but nothing (much) beyond that.

Ian.

To put this into perspective, the general approach of the law in the UK is that it allows such force as is reasonable in the circumstances as the "defender" believes tham to be. (Even if his belief is is mistaken, and even is his mistake was unreasonable).

Despite this fact, in a court of law, the test as to whether "reasonable force was used is an OBJECTIVE one.

That is to say that, based on the facts as the defendant BELIEVED them to be, (whether correct or not) would a "reasonable" person regard the level of force used as "reasonable"

Also, in this country, the use of force is governed not only by by "common law" but by the Criminal Law Act (1967) & the Human Rights Act (1998)

Police Officers, (not surprisingly) are also governed by PACE.
(The Police and Criminal Evidence Act (1984))

Confused? You should try learning all this stuff:confused: Not to mention teaching it.

Les

Latest Discussions