Unable to Run

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Due to a serious hip injury about 13 years ago, I can only kinda run about 10 meters at most. Other than that I got a pretty good powerwalk. Definitely not enough to get away from the bad guys.

I know the best way to avoid trouble is to get away from it or talk it down or at worst get the hell outta there. I simply cannot run away from trouble. In order to make up for that fact, I go quite heavily armed for a private citizen(thank the gods I live in a state where I can do that easily).

What would you focus on if you couldn't run away?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff I think you are going about it right by training, training and more training and giving yourself the best possible odds by having various tools to use if needed. Running is always a good option but...... it is not always an option. Ie. if the opponents are faster, younger and in better shape than you running may only get you tackled from behind. So having the ability to deal with danger if needed is a must. In that situation I personally would always want to have the tool advantage!
icon14.gif

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Due to a serious hip injury about 13 years ago, I can only kinda run about 10 meters at most. Other than that I got a pretty good powerwalk. Definitely not enough to get away from the bad guys.

I know the best way to avoid trouble is to get away from it or talk it down or at worst get the hell outta there. I simply cannot run away from trouble. In order to make up for that fact, I go quite heavily armed for a private citizen(thank the gods I live in a state where I can do that easily).

Exactly that. I can't run very far or very fast, due to ECP (Extreme Cheeseburger Poisoning). I'm working on it, but in the meantime, your example is a good one.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you can not run try learn to back peddle. Walking backwards,angling,misdirection will get you closer to an area that is the advantage while keeping the opponent under your eye.

You can also uses objects if any to create distance or slow down the opponent.

IMO it is not so much how fast you are but how quickly you can change direction giving what is called the ole' slip.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would practice intense stretching all the time and train with wide stances.
I mean, if you can run 10 meters, then it stands to reason that with the right preparation and training, you can stretch the 10 meters to 15 or 20 meters.
There are plenty of people that can't even run 10 meters without breaking a sweat....

For combat, if i couldn't run, then i would work strongly on blocking. In very intense combat, it is often very helpful being light on ones feet, but if you can be firm as a mountain, that can be good too.

Train for health and personal excellence anyhow, don't just train for combat.

j

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I feel that I have a similar predicament as you. I have trained most of my life, but at my age, I can only do half of what I could when I was younger. My antidote, I have mellowed out a lot, have learned to pick my shots very carefully, I have become an ambassador of good common sense, and if all else falls. J I carry a glock 40 and a folding knife, just to enhance the part I lost somewhere along the way.
icon12.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Close quarter combat, it is your best friend when the stituation calls for it. I know and understand about the running mainly because of bad knees.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would practice intense stretching all the time and train with wide stances.
I mean, if you can run 10 meters, then it stands to reason that with the right preparation and training, you can stretch the 10 meters to 15 or 20 meters.
There are plenty of people that can't even run 10 meters without breaking a sweat....

For combat, if i couldn't run, then i would work strongly on blocking. In very intense combat, it is often very helpful being light on ones feet, but if you can be firm as a mountain, that can be good too.

Train for health and personal excellence anyhow, don't just train for combat.

j

It's taken me this long, along with an additional surgery, of stretching, leg stregthing, and rehab to get as mobile as I am. As far as the blocking goes, I"m still pretty light on my feet as long as I don't have to cover much distance(no shooting in for the grapple for me).

But thank you, and everybody else for the advice and such.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Jeff,

Awhile back I had both knees injured (one hyperextension, the other streched ligaments.) I could not run either.

From the actual H2H combat standpoint I learned to use my hands much much better. I also learned to use footwork to avoid blows and counter. I also saw the value of a good weapon, weither cane, knife, or gun! I even still have my perscription to use a cane (which you have to have in order for it not to be considered a club.)

I also got better at spotting indicators of trouble. Understanding peoples body language and what they are really saying.

I also simply didn't go to bad places (never was much into that anyway.) And I increased my awarenss of my surroundings.

All these are important. Hopefully you simply avoid bad places and times to keep you safe. If not, your preception spots trouble early and maybe you avoid that to.

But then, if you see the trouble coming, but can't bug out, you know well how to fight.

Deaf

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Train for awareness:

Running away is the second best self-defense out there.

Even better, is catching a situation before it develops, so you can walk away.

Kata and meditation help with this. So will sparring. There are observation techniques you can learn from security professionals. Also just practice as you move through your day.

I'm comfortable giving the bad guy an elbow in the neck if he needs it, but I'd rather be safe at home snuggling my wife well before the bad guy shows up.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Train for awareness:

Kata and meditation help with this. So will sparring. There are observation techniques you can learn from security professionals. Also just practice as you move through your day.

I'm comfortable giving the bad guy an elbow in the neck if he needs it, but I'd rather be safe at home snuggling my wife well before the bad guy shows up.

+1 Good posting.
When I was coming up in rank, my teacher used to always say " The best self-defense technique is avoiding the situation all together, and that comes with a lot of practice and being aware of your surroundings." When I teach my students now I tell them to practice "Mental Ju-Jitsu" to be aware of their surroundings and the people and things around them. We have a class structured completely around awareness called "Practical Application" in our beginner's course. Students have told me that class has given them the insight to see problems coming and to recognize potentially dangerous situations BEFORE they bumbled into them and got into trouble. Aside from that your technique has to be more pinpoint, more targeted, more powerful and more efficient as well as using your surroundings (strategy and tactics) to your advantage to make up for your inability to retreat. Good luck in your training.

Yours in Budo

Michael

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sounds like you already have a good plan. :) IMO, I'd think the best things to do would be to really make sure that empty hand and weapon techniques are top notch. Additionally, carrying a handgun is another option, though depending on where you live, when you can/can't use it, will probably vary.

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
Like you said the best defense is to try and avoid any provocation that might entail you to defend yourself. This can mean talking to try and diffuse the situation, calling for help, or maybe if you feel the need to, carry a weapon. Being able to run to escape is good, but like was mentioned running might not always safe your butt

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Let's see. Like a lot of folks have said, avoidance of conflict has got to be priority number one... for anyone, regardless of running ability. Second priority: defusing a tense situation before it escalates. And third, positioning yourself for the best defense you've got, should all else fail.

Maybe you could look at your situation as a strength. Should it come to violence, in spite of everything, then the "fight or flight" response kicks in. Some folks can't decide what to do and panic, ending up as paralyzed as a deer in the headlights. But you don't have to worry about that. You have no choice to consider. You can't run, so you can't be a deer in the headlights. You've got to be a cornered cougar. You are armed, trained, and mentally prepared. The choice is run-away or kick-***. And you are fresh out of run-away.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Deaf beat me to it in recommending a cane.

I was thinking about this post from last night, and this same thought occurred to me. Who better to carry a cane than someone with mobility problems? I've not heard about the prescription issue, but a cane itself technically requires no permit and certainly can't be construed as a concealed weapon.

I've heard great things about cane seminars, and there's a weapon you can safely practise with in the dojo or elsewhere. Best of all, it's already in your hand.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jeff,

As you recall I have to wear 2 leg braces and walk with a cane a lot. Here is the deal for me my friend. I ride an airdyne bike for 30 min a clip a few days a week. Also, I do a lot of kicking reps, horse stance and body weight squats.

Some food for thought man, obviously I cant run for nuthin man so I hope this helps dude.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Train for awareness:

+1+1

I would also add..make some common sense decisions about who you associate with, where you go frequently and what you do for "fun".

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
+1+1

I would also add..make some common sense decisions about who you associate with, where you go frequently and what you do for "fun".
The funny thing is about all I do anymore outside the house is going out to train. Or go have a beer with people I train with after class.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If attack? ...unable to run away or leave?

Most of us know the human being has parts on the body that can end a sitution quickly

Vote for the eyes? striking the eyes or gouging? ..you can always give it back!

striking the nose
poping the ears
striking the throat
hitting the groin
breaking fingers
breaking joints ankles, knees, etc..
biteing anywhere...
and use anything for a weapon or defence (to keep distance)

PS: having a killer instinct and never give up....will help too!

MOST important in any level or martial art skills is: Endurance to out last....

Aloha,