Unable to Run

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
SFC JeffJ wrote:
“I simply cannot run away from trouble. In order to make up for that fact, I go quite heavily armed for a private citizen(thank the gods I live in a state where I can do that easily).

What would you focus on if you couldn't run away?”

Jeff, thanks for taking the time to start a great topic. It is an interesting question and one that all martial artists (as also seen in many of the above comments) will sooner or later have to face as we age and deal with injuries and sicknesses. We will not be forever young and strong while those that we may face and those felons that those in Law enforcement do have to face stay the same age. The average age of violent felons is I guess somewhere in the high teens low twenties and likely always will be even as we ourselves age.

Some of the more commonly overlooked areas to train with this in mind (for SD) is learning how to do your art on various terrain, uneven, slopped, slick, covered with different obstacles are all types of ground that should be explored. The experience of working on these kinds of terrains can free the mind from worrying about tripping or losing the footing due to slipping. The more we can free the mind from worries the freer we will be to deal with the situation as needed.

Another area often either overlooked or not emphasized enough in my opinion is accessing the carry weapons while under pressure and in the fight. Being able to defend and attack while able to access a weapon simultaneously is a skill that cannot be over rated in my opinion and the training to acquire this skill is so much fun that it should be explored whether a martial artist carries weapons or not. It is good not to be able to access weapons while in contact range of fighting but it is also great to be able to recognize when your opponent(s) is accessing a weapon while in the fight with you. For a visual idea of what I am talking about see the Systema clip titled “first to draw” with Vladimir and Max working a drill. The clip is located here http://www.russianmartialart.com/main.php?page=clips#

When a person decides to carry weapons they often practice using the weapons but not accessing them. I strongly suggest when doing knife/gun drills that the martial artist should ‘put away’ the tool after each turn at the drill. For example if one is doing a knife drill say against kicks or strikes start with the knife in your pocket or waist band and draw the knife as the attack commences then as the cuts/ takedown is completed put the knife back into the pocket or waist band right away. The motions putting away the knife will be very similar to the motions to draw the blade so you get to practice twice in one drill. It is also wise to get into the habit of putting away the weapon when it is not needed. The police rolling up to a call and seeing someone with a bloody knife does not make a great first impression LOL not to mention others might not see all the action but they will remember and notice someone standing with a blade in their hands. If training with a partner it is important that they also practice the draw and put away both so they get smoother and more practiced but so that you benefit from seeing the actions and tells of a person accessing a weapon.

Some people when choosing to go armed have made the decision that they if needed will be able to access their weapon of choice and use it as intended. They have thought about it and trained in the use (strategy and tactics) of the weapon and have became proficient with the weapon but unfortunately they often overlook the psychological and physiological aspects of using deadly force and the needs to train for and understand this aspect of combat and survival.

Many posts above have stressed the importance of awareness in avoiding conflicts and rightly so. Combat avoided is combat won. Others including myself gave advice on how to train for the combat. One area overlooked at the armed martial artists peril is the after action needs. Action professionals train this and the armed ‘civilian’ should as well. Learning how to articulate the need for using deadly force, knowing the local and federal laws pertaining to the use of lethal force and having a relationship with an attorney and having the attorney on your side prior to the combat is very wise. Having a support group of like minded (combat military veterans and law enforcement and other emergency personal make very good choices) individuals that you can talk to after the event to help sort out the emotions and stress (both internal and external stresses such as press and retributions) It is important to have family and friends commit to helping you and your family prior to your needed the help is vital. Many that you think will help you may not as they have to deal with their own fears and justifications that your successfully surviving armed conflict arouses. Your family should be prepared to leave your home for an extended time (staying with friends or family) and you should have a legal fund already set up (can be part of your emergency fund). Having the numbers for (subtle) bio cleaners is also not a bad idea if the battle occurred in your home or business. It might be a couple of days or even weeks before you are allowed to clean the mess and the blood and umm stuff can be dangerous as well as disgusting. The family able to come home to a cleaned and repaired home is much healthier for the family than coming home and having to relive the attacks and the consequences of the attacks. A person that chooses to go armed should also prepare themselves for wearing the ‘mark of Cain‘. Some of your neighbors and friends and family will see you differently. It is to be expected and can be dealt with many ways and those should be looked into prior to being needed.

A few thoughts I hope that some might find useful
Sorry about the long windedness I am waiting for the spike UFC (95?) free event and had some time to kill.

Regards
Brian King

Stonecold

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Working as a doorman, and otherwise being put in harms way over the years I seemed to be able to tell when trouble is comeing. Being aware of where you are and whats going on around you seems to help avoid problems. When there is trouble pick your battles wisely, sometime you have to keep quite till you have the advantage to strike or leave. In Canada we can't carry a sidearm for selfdefence so a throw away boxcutter, dog repelent spray, batton, cane ect... can be employed. here you have to lose the weapon and flee to avoid being charged. Awareness is the best defence.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
i would train and train some more, and if attacked use maximum force to stop that attack instantly! the courts in the USA at least will take into consideration that you are limited in mobility. I can not say as to other country's laws.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Due to a serious hip injury about 13 years ago, I can only kinda run about 10 meters at most. Other than that I got a pretty good powerwalk. Definitely not enough to get away from the bad guys.

I know the best way to avoid trouble is to get away from it or talk it down or at worst get the hell outta there. I simply cannot run away from trouble. In order to make up for that fact, I go quite heavily armed for a private citizen(thank the gods I live in a state where I can do that easily).

What would you focus on if you couldn't run away?

How fast i could draw my weapon, in all seriousness

B

Latest Discussions