Type of feel from your school?

songe-d-automne

White Belt
Reaction score
Some days are more formal, some are chaos. I like the feeling of the place for the most part because the overall atmosphere is friendly (when you goof off though, God help you!).

I really like the instructors and I get a kick out of some of the other students (yes, sometimes literally). The students range in age from 9 (a very hyper but very flexible boy) to 43 (my ex-husband).

When it gets serious and formal you sure know it but those are generally the days when more gets accomplished - with some of the students (my daughter) anyway.

Myself, I have a hard time learning things when there are more than one or two steps involved (ADHD). If there are more steps I have to learn things sequentially and slowly, and sometimes during class things are just not slow enough for me, not my instructors fault, they have other students they need to focus on besides me, but they are willing to help you outside of normal classes.

To give an example:
A few months ago I was having a he!! of a time learning this form (to most ppl this is a simple form but between ADHD and social anxiety I was flubbing it every time) and my daughter was at the library which is right near the dojo and I left her there and went to see if one of the instructors was at the dojo because I knew he went down early to turn up the heater. He was there. He dropped everything and nearly froze himself to death teaching me Tae Ke Oko #1 for the next 45 minutes and I FINALLY got it.

I really appreciate things like that. Damn, that was long.

OP
A

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Laeticia said:
We (me and a few friends) have an ongoing project to drag the guys of our dojo to do other stuff together too, be it a after-training-beer (or soda) or christmas parties. We've gone together to a shooting range and talked about rock climbing and golf...

After a huge amount of begging, threats and tears from the organisers (usually me) we've had some great parties like christmas 2004 and a crayfish-party (like a bbq-party, but you eat crayfish, a finnish tradition) last autumn. We also help organize a local "Japan Day" each year, and afterwards go grab some beers and food and talk. I think knowing the guys you train with gives a more "human" atmosphere to the dojo and a feeling of friendship. It also gives the new members a possibility to get to know the "old ones" as we try to get all the beginners to a beer after their beginner's course is ended and they come to train with the rest of us.

As there's no time to talk with people during the training it's fun to meet them afterwards and talk, about the training and other stuff. In short: it's more fun to train with friends than strangers. :)

Cheers,
Laeticia

Hi Laeticia,

Sounds like you are really trying your best to gain a social aspect to your training. Good for you! Maybe we can try something like that and see how it goes...

OP
A

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mcura said:
After every training session in my school, it's common to kick back and have a drink or two on the premises. Since it's defined as a private party, everyone feels free to contribute a case of beer or donations for the next case. One of our members is also a talented home brewer, so a keg of fresh beer is mighty tasty. Of course, for those of us that can't handle alcohol :idunno: we have to bring in the coca-colas and so forth.

Every New Years', or thereabouts, we hold an open house and invite friends and family to share in festivities like demonstrations, food, drink, and test cutting with sharp swords (with all safety measures taken). This past Open House also saw some folks doing target shooting with Airsoft Pistols. Throughout the year, there will also be dinners, camping weekends, and trips to large seminars held in other cities.

As for the training, well this is where the individual gets as much help as they want. Say you can't quite get the hang of a certain technique. Well, you can ask one of the more experienced folks to help you, and you can find a whole class time with this person working with you on this technique.

One of my instructors can be very flexible with the curriculum in class. "What do you all feel like doing tonight?" Or say for example, you've just told a story about how a friend of yours was mugged. My instructor will take a tale like that and devote an entire class to dealing with just that situation, from awareness to worst-case-scenario. And if you haven't quite gotten it that night, he'll revisit the idea in the next class. And the next. And so on.

Here's the biggest impression I get of the feel of my school. From time to time, we all get taken away from our hobbies by real life. Job, school, relationships, whatever - you may not be seen for days, or years. But the day you come back, it's "Hey, it's great to see you! We missed you. Is everything okay with that thing you were doing? Do you need any help? Glad to see you here again."

Your comments about the camping trips and going to seminars in other cities is kind of what I am looking for...it just seems like it would be nice to feel like you 'belong'. Not just go to your class 2-3 times a week...

Thanks for your input!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
stickarts said:
Our environment is family oriented. The atmosphere is positive, supportive, and all about learning and helping each other. Those that are not there for the right reasons or have ill intentions usually end up leaving on their own as they don't fit in or else I end up having a private chat with them and then take action if there is no improvement in behavior.
Learning the punching and kicking is only half the job, code of conduct has to be there too.
This has worked for us. You need to feel that your school is a good fit for you. There are many different kinds of schools. When I sense that we are not right for a student I have actually referred them to other schools. One of the luxuries I have since i do not rely on my school income to make a living! :)

Hello, You mention a very good point here :" Code of conduct" We have one by our Professor for his Instructors and Students to follow.

Do you other schools have one posted? ....Aloha

OP
A

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
songe-d-automne said:
Some days are more formal, some are chaos. I like the feeling of the place for the most part because the overall atmosphere is friendly (when you goof off though, God help you!).

I really like the instructors and I get a kick out of some of the other students (yes, sometimes literally). The students range in age from 9 (a very hyper but very flexible boy) to 43 (my ex-husband).

When it gets serious and formal you sure know it but those are generally the days when more gets accomplished - with some of the students (my daughter) anyway.

Myself, I have a hard time learning things when there are more than one or two steps involved (ADHD). If there are more steps I have to learn things sequentially and slowly, and sometimes during class things are just not slow enough for me, not my instructors fault, they have other students they need to focus on besides me, but they are willing to help you outside of normal classes.

To give an example:
A few months ago I was having a he!! of a time learning this form (to most ppl this is a simple form but between ADHD and social anxiety I was flubbing it every time) and my daughter was at the library which is right near the dojo and I left her there and went to see if one of the instructors was at the dojo because I knew he went down early to turn up the heater. He was there. He dropped everything and nearly froze himself to death teaching me Tae Ke Oko #1 for the next 45 minutes and I FINALLY got it.

I really appreciate things like that. Damn, that was long.

Thanks for your input. I am glad you found a school that helps with some of the difficulties you experience

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, You mention a very good point here :" Code of conduct" We have one by our Professor for his Instructors and Students to follow.

Do you other schools have one posted? ....Aloha

We have creeds posted. Expectations are also spelled out in our student handbook. It is a relaxed atmosphere, however, to keep it safe, organized, and respectful, etiquette does need to be followed.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Which school is more common? It seems like we only get our 45 minute instruction time 3x per week, but there is nothing more we can do to enhance our training or get more of a feeling for the art.

What type of feel do you have at your school? Any suggestions on how we can enhance our training?[/quote]

Hi.I too have faced in the same dilemma.My gym only trains three days a week.I wish that I could train in the gym 6 days a week but I cannot.So I use it to my advantage.We usually spar every training day,so on the days that I am off I meditate on different strageties on fighting other students.I mentally study every move they make,their strengths and weakness then I contomplate on where I excel and where I need to improve.I spend countless hours comtoplating on counter-techniques,angles of(offense)attack,and other suitable tatics based on the individual's size strenght,speed,aggression,passivness,generally,their way of fighting.That is the mental aspects that enchance my(personal) training)

The physical aspect,I do alot weight lifting and weighted cardio on my own.I also do I LOT of bag work on my own.In the gym,our training is balanced between punches,kicks,knees,eblow,clinch fighting and sparring. At home I practice various techniques that we learn in class on the heavy bag.The Thai style round kick is my favortie so, that is the one the I practice the most.After 45 mins of weighted cardio ,I usually do 4 sets and 35 kicks(straight) on the heavy bag.Then I practice various combonations.If you practice the teachniques of your art on your own it will definity enchance the feeling of your art.

Take your favorite technique and practice it over and over and over and over again.Think about it,meditate on it daily.Think of it and only it.Practice it until you perfect it and when you think that you have mastered it, practice it more and more and more,daily,until you become the technqiue,until it is done with great ease.You must do this daily though;dedication is a must.In training alone,you can exploit your weakness and better understand your body and your own personal method of fighting); you will definitly get more of a feeling for the art!

Well,
Good training!

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The feel in my dojo is one of relaxed comfort; very familial. Sensei is much like benificent uncle we all wish we had. He refers to us all as his family.

Last two nights, he has spent extra time with the little ones, teaching them techniques for resisting abductors, raising an alarm and causing them discomfort.

He is a good man. There is respect for him among students and the families of students.

It's like home.

OP
A

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Slihn said:
Which school is more common? It seems like we only get our 45 minute instruction time 3x per week, but there is nothing more we can do to enhance our training or get more of a feeling for the art.

What type of feel do you have at your school? Any suggestions on how we can enhance our training?

Hi.I too have faced in the same dilemma.My gym only trains three days a week.I wish that I could train in the gym 6 days a week but I cannot.So I use it to my advantage.We usually spar every training day,so on the days that I am off I meditate on different strageties on fighting other students.I mentally study every move they make,their strengths and weakness then I contomplate on where I excel and where I need to improve.I spend countless hours comtoplating on counter-techniques,angles of(offense)attack,and other suitable tatics based on the individual's size strenght,speed,aggression,passivness,generally,their way of fighting.That is the mental aspects that enchance my(personal) training)

The physical aspect,I do alot weight lifting and weighted cardio on my own.I also do I LOT of bag work on my own.In the gym,our training is balanced between punches,kicks,knees,eblow,clinch fighting and sparring. At home I practice various techniques that we learn in class on the heavy bag.The Thai style round kick is my favortie so, that is the one the I practice the most.After 45 mins of weighted cardio ,I usually do 4 sets and 35 kicks(straight) on the heavy bag.Then I practice various combonations.If you practice the teachniques of your art on your own it will definity enchance the feeling of your art.

Take your favorite technique and practice it over and over and over and over again.Think about it,meditate on it daily.Think of it and only it.Practice it until you perfect it and when you think that you have mastered it, practice it more and more and more,daily,until you become the technqiue,until it is done with great ease.You must do this daily though;dedication is a must.In training alone,you can exploit your weakness and better understand your body and your own personal method of fighting); you will definitly get more of a feeling for the art!

Well,
Good training![/quote]

Great post..thanks for the suggestions!

Latest Discussions