Color's of Gi's?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Do you wish you could choose the colors you want? What would you choose?

In our schools the Professor allows only one color (black) and only one school patch. The idea is everyone is the same, (except for belts).

But if you could choose? the colors or anything? What is your dream? ..also for Demo's? Elvis had his own made for him? .......Aloha

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer solid black or black bottoms/white top. In the majority of schools that Ive seen, students under purple would wear solid white. Purple to Brown solid white or solid black. BB's could wear any combo. of what I listed.

Mike

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm fortunate that it's more-or-less up to me what we wear and I've opted to not make a big deal about it. I've studied a lot of different things over the years and had to get a different uniform each time. Now I just grab whatever's clean. :p

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All white is preference to me. I am thinking possibly a different color for weapons classes when I open the dojo. When I do that it will probably be black.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the TSD BB uniforms (or at least the ones in my old dojang). White traditional top with black trim, and black pants. To me, it looked sharp, specially if you had it pressed for a special occasion (tourny, seminar, ect).

But as a color belt, I perfer all white. If I also had a choice on what patches and such to where .... none at all. Just plain white uniforms.

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our school we have black pants and for that I'm so grateful! :p I really disliked wearing white pants because they were thin and I had to wear something extra under them, like biker shorts, in order to feel comfortable. Now with black pants I don't have to worry about it! :D I also think black looks much sharper than white.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
all white is required, but i liked the white top and black bottoms that i was able to wear before i moved

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have the option of wearing a gi to class or not. If we do, it must be white with the appropriate belt. Black belts may wear a black gi, if they wish.

I would love to wear a red gi. Bloody looking, deep crimson.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where I study, it's all white untill you get to ikkyu. When you get your brown belt, pretty much whatever color you can find, except red.

Jeff

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Where I study, it's all white untill you get to ikkyu. When you get your brown belt, pretty much whatever color you can find, except red. Jeff

Be glad you can't wear red... after awhile it turns pink. ;)

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Army green top with black bottoms..? mabye camoflage? ...Aloha

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being WTF TKD, the below 1st Dan wear a white v-neck uniform, 1st Dan & above wear white v-neck w/ black trim & black pants (in my organization). There are variations on the uniforms for upper ranks, but I won't go into details.

Personally, I have a bent toward all black heavy uniforms.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My judo instructor allows any color of uniform, as long as it's white..

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
All black. Frog top coat with normal gi pants. It matches the philosophy of masking movements and helps to keep everyone looking nice. And it has the wonderful plus of hiding blood stains.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
White for lower belts but women can wear colored pants, red, blue or black. Black belts can wear white, all black, all blue, all red or mixture of any. One day I wore a red top and white pants, first one to do that. I like all black the best and as I have four uniforms that's what I wear now except for tournaments and then I wear the traditional white. TW

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've preferred all-white or all-black. Each of my schools has been that way, only allowing either all-white, all-black, or both all-white and all-black.

The idea behind the use of the uniform in each of those schools, was to promote (as expected) uniformity, and that going beyond those basic colors could disrupt that uniformity.

As for other colors, if a different school wants to use different colors, I really don't have any problem with that, as long as they aren't using hot pink, fluorescent orange, neon green, etc. Even if they do use those oddball colors, it's not my business to tell them how to run theirs.

Latest Discussions