Two Taekwondo contestants have altercation before contest

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So, anyone that was there have the full scoop:

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_18403624?source=rss

Displaying unsportsman-like conduct, two competitors at the USA Taekwondo Junior Olympics, hosted at the San Jose Convention Center, jumped the gun Saturday when they got in to a fight before their scheduled event.

The two teenage boys, 15 years old and 16 years old, mixed it up outside the ring just after 3 p.m. Saturday, said San Jose police Sgt. Jason Dwyer said.

One was injured badly enough to be taken to Santa Clara Valley Medical for treatment but his condition is unknown. The second competitor was arrested though it is unclear whether charges will be filed.

It's unknown what started the fight. Police withheld details about the incident because the boys are juveniles.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
2 Major USAT events in a row requiring police intervention. I am sure everyone remembers the USA coach sucker punching the Canadian fighter from behind at the US Open in February. How completely pathetic. I also heard that a parent of a second place fighter in a 12-13 BB girls division tried to rip the gold medal off of the first place fighter's neck at the picture podium shouting about how her little girl should have won. Also just lots of obnoxious behavior from other fighters and parents booing and hissing each other.

So glad that we had more important things to do this year than even drive just a few hours just to go and watch. What a freak show USAT events have become.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
See now, thats just petty and childish. If you have a dispute, either A: Settle it IN THE TOURNAMENT. Or B: Go organise a Legitimate Bout somewere later.
But rowing before a Competition isnt exactly encouraged by the teachings of Taekwon-Do, or at least not as ive ever seen or heard it.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
To much sport and not enough art. It is sad to have such poor discipline and lack of respect. They should receive a ban from competition for at least one competition year.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
To much sport and not enough art. It is sad to have such poor discipline and lack of respect. They should receive a ban from competition for at least one competition year.
Thats phrased much better than what i did. A Ban isnt what they need though, its Discipline. With that, they would have Respect, and there would never have been an issue :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess the tenets means absolutely nothing in most schools now a days.

Poomsaeguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You see this is how information get mixed up! I was there ringside. One boy was sitting in a chair when the other kid roundhouse kicked him in the face, dislocating his jaw and knocking out his two front teeth! The father on the boy who was hit jumped the rail and went after the kid who attached his son. The two had already fought their fight and the kid who attacked didn't like the out come! We later say the kid and his father ( who really didn't seem that upset) beening removed by the police.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
on the bright side, at least this kid kicks better than the average cuban TKD olympic fighter.......

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You see this is how information get mixed up! I was there ringside. One boy was sitting in a chair when the other kid roundhouse kicked him in the face, dislocating his jaw and knocking out his two front teeth! The father on the boy who was hit jumped the rail and went after the kid who attached his son. The two had already fought their fight and the kid who attacked didn't like the out come! We later say the kid and his father ( who really didn't seem that upset) beening removed by the police.

You see, that is why I asked for the "full scoop" from anyone that was there. Because I know that newspapers rarely, if ever, even get 50% of the story right. Thanks for filling in some of the blanks.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If either one of those kids were my student, their belts would be on my desk Monday morning and they would no longer be members of my school. There is absolutely no excuse for behavior like that and shame on their instructors and parents for not teaching them basic courtesy and respect.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

First thank you for setting the story straight it makes much more sense. The paper should be forced to post a retraction. The actions of the person committing the sucker kick after being upset with the outcome of the match is a classic example of the impact of to much sport mentality related to the money and business of TKD instead of the tradition of mental and spiritual goals for personal development and a commitment to help others and community.

Students imitate what they see and sport TKD has gone from whining and complaining competitors, poor refereeing, & officials to outright corruption in some cases. Add to that parents being allowed to interfere in matches with disrespect and even violent behavior. Monkey See Monkey do years of bad behavior by adults is effecting the youth and you can take the long winded argument it is all the fault of loosing the USTU because of the Non Korean Born people who killed it Bull!! This all started the day that a beautiful traditional art form was commercialized for global expansion to the Olympics and ever single art form and sport involved in it has had scandal and controversy.

There are just better things to do than have your students be part of this whole charade whats next fighting over Poom Se competition? don't laugh saw a Korean Master ready to go to blows because his little team was not awarded 1st place they wound up giving two first place and they still had to restrain him the next day during awards.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do people really blame "the sport" and not the violators in this instance? If so than perhaps we should blame "the martial art" of Taekwondo for all the child molestation that those "martial arts masters" commit because for every sport related TKD incident you can find in the news I bet I can find 10 incidents of some "master of the art" forcibly inserting his penis into some little boy or girl.The blame for incidents like this rest solely on the shoulders of the perpetrators and the USAT for providing and environment where incidents like this can happen with little fear of punishment that is meaningful as well as the parents of the instigator.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
People blame all kinds of weird things for whatever...
But it's the same patterns that have plagued little league in the past...or the proverbial show moms...or dads....

bad enough when it's 'just' a sport...but a Martial Art...you have a whole new set of tools to work with...
(and crap, isn't self discipline one of the goals?)

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Please DO NOT blame the sport of Taekwondo!!! I've become a better person by applying the values of the Art & dedication/goal-setting of the Sport. I'd prefer this as a guide to looking at what exactly led up to the incident (both boys' actions) & then this:

1. The boy that assaulted: mental health issues?
2. Parents: single parent? overbearing parents?
3. Coach/Instructor's Teaching Approach & Team Environment: win at all costs? blame others instead of owning up? it's always the other's fault?

We may find a "reason" but there is absolutely no "excuse" for this!!! What upsets me greatly is the fact that somewhere during this boy's training & competing history, something had to of led the Coach and/or Parents know that this boy was in danger of this type of incident. As for the USAT, they really need to address this. The boy needs to be sanctioned and show proof of professional couseling in anger management before he is allowed to compete again. IMHO

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a special place in Hell for those masters and parents that throw thier kids in the fire for thier personal gain or ego to the olympics allowing sicafants to abuse and rape thier children for thier personal needs. I hope all you bastards rot in hell because you are so low that you need to feed your self in the name of statistics or some crap piece of plastic medal or trophie that feeds you or brings your Dojang money not the children or students. There have been deaths and ireversable damage due to the Olympics and even now some pumped up masters who give money to damaged students to shut them up hoping they will die while they let rape and abuse occure in thier own houses and you know who you are cowards. Take my word if anyone shoots back they are guilty it only confirms it. Don't listen to thier list of high connections and name dropping they are trailer trash of the worst kind and you violate all that is core to martial arts by not being able to see what is unseen giving respect and credibility to thier knowledge because they were able to say they have read this or that or have this library or know this or that GM Bull **** they are Evil and low they belong in a max cell with Bubba in a skirt with lip stick *****!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
naw, bad sports happen in every sport. I just so happen to hate this one.

Do people really blame "the sport" and not the violators in this instance? If so than perhaps we should blame "the martial art" of Taekwondo for all the child molestation that those "martial arts masters" commit because for every sport related TKD incident you can find in the news I bet I can find 10 incidents of some "master of the art" forcibly inserting his penis into some little boy or girl.The blame for incidents like this rest solely on the shoulders of the perpetrators and the USAT for providing and environment where incidents like this can happen with little fear of punishment that is meaningful as well as the parents of the instigator.