Holy bleep! Did I really just do that?

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Friday night I was in a class taught by the head instructor of my school. Near the end of the class, he told us he wanted to do something different. He started by having us do 3 step flying side kicks to hit a small target mitt. Now, I'm oldish (42), and I frequently complain that I just can't get airborne like the younger students can. Do they have springs in their legs? Do they eat antigravity for breakfast?

We did this a few times, and then he dragged out a huge gear bag (one of those that holds 20 plus sets of head and hand gear, and stood with the target held at the back edge of it. I was very, very doubtful, but when the head intstructor says jump....well, you know. On my first try, I started too far back, and I didn't realize it was okay to take extra steps (duh), so I wound up starting my jump from probably 6 feet back and kicking over the top of the mitt! I had launched my decrepit carcass into a leap 6 feet long and well over 3 feet high. I'm still stunned. I was even more stunned when, on the third try, I not only nailed the target and cleared the bag, but had a perfectly balanced landing. My instructor's response was a shrug and, "See? You can do lots of things you think you can't do."

What a great class.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congrat’s. :asian:

Success is just one small step at a time.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great job Stacey see anything is possible if you really want it.....

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
a ma on another forum told me that in ma you can find you exceed even your own expectations.

seemed that happened with you. Congrats. :)

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Way to go!! Shows you what practice and TRYING it does for you!! Keep up the great training and work!

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats!

Though it sounds suspiciously similar to the night I bid "adieu" to my left ACL... go carefully!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
:bangahead::headbangin::highfive::partyon::asian:

Good job

And I am steeling the line "my decrepit carcass" and applying it to me whenever and wherever possible :D

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Friday night I was in a class taught by the head instructor of my school. Near the end of the class, he told us he wanted to do something different. He started by having us do 3 step flying side kicks to hit a small target mitt. Now, I'm oldish (42), and I frequently complain that I just can't get airborne like the younger students can. Do they have springs in their legs? Do they eat antigravity for breakfast?

We did this a few times, and then he dragged out a huge gear bag (one of those that holds 20 plus sets of head and hand gear, and stood with the target held at the back edge of it. I was very, very doubtful, but when the head intstructor says jump....well, you know. On my first try, I started too far back, and I didn't realize it was okay to take extra steps (duh), so I wound up starting my jump from probably 6 feet back and kicking over the top of the mitt! I had launched my decrepit carcass into a leap 6 feet long and well over 3 feet high. I'm still stunned. I was even more stunned when, on the third try, I not only nailed the target and cleared the bag, but had a perfectly balanced landing. My instructor's response was a shrug and, "See? You can do lots of things you think you can't do."

What a great class.

I love those days... conquering what you thought you couldn't. It's a fantastic feeling rivaled by nothing else. I'm glad to hear of your accomplishments. :D

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was told by people (my own family being some of the worst offenders) that I wouldnt be able to so much as carry a cup of tea across a room because in their words 'my balance was too bad' (I was born with a smaller than normal cerebellum.)

I have won a gold medal for my kata Heian Shodan at competition last year and am very close to being an 8th kyu. (my test is soon.)

sometimes i think can't is a word that shouldnt be in martial arts.

and btw I drink tea all the time and carry cups with me everywhere I walk. :)

and Shotokan requires more balance than simply carrying tea because of all the spinning, twisting, kicking, and turning involved.

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Those Tournament Judges better be careful from now on. Next time you might actually get one of them with a flying kick.

Latest Discussions