TSA Agent killed in LAX : Was : Hey Bob!

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put it in the Basement. If it doesn't fit anywhere else...that's where you can put it, and not worry about it...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Study works.

Most readers know I have no love for the TSA. I consider them a terrorist organization, a useless waste of taxpayers money, and a smoke and mirrors feel good piece of theatre. I have no respect for their employees, and hold their higher ups in total contempt.

With that said, I take no joy in this news. My thoughts are with those effected by this tragedy, and hope that we don't hear of more such incidents. I suspect though, that what we will see is a paranoid swing into extreme totalitarianism at the airports, an increase in the agencies powers with a cosponsoring decrease in our liberty and freedom, and an escalation that will ultimately lead to more pain, suffering and death.

I do not condone the murder of anyone, and this was murder. I hope the killer faces swift justice for his actions.

Peace.
===

[h=1]SOURCES: TSA OFFICER KILLED IN LAX SHOOTING[/h]
Multiple people shot, police say

• Hospital: 1 patient critical, 2 fair
  • Source: Man used concealed rifle, was shot by officer
  • Sources: Gunman, 23, has L.A., N.J. addresses FULL STORY

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ANOTHER shooting where law abiding people are forbidden to have guns... color me surprised

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where was Security? Airport police? Is TSA not armed? It appears that we can not be safe in the one place where we are supposed to be safe. Is it time to overhaul or eliminate the Transportation Security Administration?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Leaving aside this particular incident, which may or may not have been preventable, for the larger point: They need to be professionalized--we're getting intrusive security on the cheap. That's bad.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Leaving aside this particular incident, which may or may not have been preventable, for the larger point: They need to be professionalized--we're getting intrusive security on the cheap. That's bad.
Gee, that was a Republican argument against federalizing airport rent-a-cops from about 12 years ago...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gee, that was a Republican argument against federalizing airport rent-a-cops from about 12 years ago...

I'm not sure what gain you're looking for from politicizing this, but it was a Republican pres. who signed it into law 12 years ago:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transportation_Security_Administration

The TSA was created as part of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act, sponsored by Don Young in the United States House of Representatives and Ernest Hollings in the Senate, passed by the 107th U.S. Congress, and signed into law by President George W. Bush on November 19, 2001.

Young and Bush were Republicans; Hollings, a Democrat.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The press is saying he had anti-government literature in his home...that must mean he must have supported OWS...right? will they call him a domestic terrorist...or will they call this an incident of workplace violence...it will depend on his religion and what political party he voted for...right?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where was Security? Airport police? Is TSA not armed? It appears that we can not be safe in the one place where we are supposed to be safe. Is it time to overhaul or eliminate the Transportation Security Administration?

At the airport here in CT., the CT State Police are in charge of patrolling the airport. I don't travel often, but when I have, I haven't seen an overwhelming number of Troopers. Sadly, in the vast majority of airports that I've been to, there really isn't that much, security, if any at all, until you actually get to the TSA check in, where you have to take off your shoes, your carry on gets x-ray'd, etc. So, just like in the case here, anyone can walk in, just like this guy, with a hidden weapon, and start shooting, bring in a bomb, etc.

Perhaps, and I'm sure it'll happen, eventually, we'll see the security start before you even get to walk into the airport itself. Of course, given the fact that you have to arrive 2 hrs early as it is, IF something were to change, well, expect much longer delays.

I might have asked this before, but I'll ask again. I'd be interested in knowing how airports in various countries, that tend to have more of a terror potential, ie: Israel, deal with things like this? I know people are always complaining because they feel we are living in a 'Police state" but you can't have your cake and eat it too. I mean, if you're worried about stuff like this happening, then don't complain when you're greeted with guys with machine guns. :)

*edit* Just to clarify, when I said *you're* I wasn't talking about YOU personally, just making a general reference. :)

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
At the airport here in CT., the CT State Police are in charge of patrolling the airport. I don't travel often, but when I have, I haven't seen an overwhelming number of Troopers. Sadly, in the vast majority of airports that I've been to, there really isn't that much, security, if any at all, until you actually get to the TSA check in, where you have to take off your shoes, your carry on gets x-ray'd, etc. So, just like in the case here, anyone can walk in, just like this guy, with a hidden weapon, and start shooting, bring in a bomb, etc.

Perhaps, and I'm sure it'll happen, eventually, we'll see the security start before you even get to walk into the airport itself. Of course, given the fact that you have to arrive 2 hrs early as it is, IF something were to change, well, expect much longer delays.

I might have asked this before, but I'll ask again. I'd be interested in knowing how airports in various countries, that tend to have more of a terror potential, ie: Israel, deal with things like this? I know people are always complaining because they feel we are living in a 'Police state" but you can't have your cake and eat it too. I mean, if you're worried about stuff like this happening, then don't complain when you're greeted with guys with machine guns. :)

*edit* Just to clarify, when I said *you're* I wasn't talking about YOU personally, just making a general reference. :)

Too bad Chanuck has not posted in a while, he travels to Israel a lot from what I understand.
From what I gathered, the security there is a bit of a blanket, units in civies on the ground, checkpoints pulling people out of line, to see how the people around them react, etc...
That sounded impressive.

In Germany you see a lot of cops n the terminal. But they don't have rent-a-cops either. Up until a few years ago pretty much one of the pair patrolling would carry an 'Uzie' on the hip!
Something they carried over from the 70s when police would have OK Corral style shoot outs with RAF terrorists.

That still did not prevent a bomb going off in the terminal though I think in the 90s.

I think there is the fallacy at work that one could make life safe if enough armed men are around.

The TSA didn't do what they were put in place to do (unless harassing the infirm and fondling kids was the mission statement) and as it turns out, they are ill equipped to do that should they meet with opposition.

but instead of fixing what never worked, I am sure we will see another layer of 'security' pulled over our eyes...In the end I might have to calculate 2 days for travel time instead of the 24 hours I currently have to figure in. And my family wonders why I don't like to visit much anymore....

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are two different things going on here. This has nothing to do with TSA. TSA is not responsible for air port security

Every airport I've ever been to has armed police as well as TSA. In MD the MD Transportation Authority police patrol airports as well as all toll roads, bridges, and the ports. They are a state law enforcement agency kinda like the state police but with smaller jurisdiction. TSA has a specific job to screen passengers they are not in charge of Air port security itself that's the Transportation Authority Police.
LAX also has its own armed police department separate from TSA thats charged with air port security
http://www.lawa.org/airportpolice

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Israli model won't work here.
1st they don't even come close to the number of passengers we have here or the number of airports.
2nd they don't have the ACLU looking to sue at the drop of the hat at the impression of racial discrimination
3rd they don't have "activists" looking to push the limits tomake a point.
4th pulling a middle Eastern guy out of line in Israel is not profiling because they are all middle eastern. Try that here and your going to be sued.
5th they have a pretty specific threat and enemy. We have all kinda of new enemy groups both foreign and domestic

Latest Discussions