Over the top, as usual?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://news.msn.com/us/fla-city-bans-guns-for-neighborhood-watch-volunteers

She said any neighborhood watch member who violates the rules, including carrying a weapon, will face removal from the program but will not be charged with a crime.

sooooooo, you can legally own and carry a gun, but have to take it off when patrolling the neighborhood....hmm

At least the rest is a bit more logical, providing more training and supervision to the watch groups....

And yet, seems like non of that was at the heart of the problem.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, because, while you're operating under the aegis of the program, you have to comply with the rules of that program. You don't like them, don't work with the program.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Naturally.

It seems to me though that the premise of these actions is the wrong one.

now, don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of yahoos running around toting firearms, but It seems to me that the premise of the whole deal is the assumption of guilt on behalf of the shooter.

There seems to be rather substantial evidence that in the case they used to change the regulations the firearms was an afterthought, a tragic climax, not predictable.

If you carry a weapon normally and join the watch....if you walk home from the corner store and see something suspicious, what do you do? Run home and put your gun away?

It just seems to me a case of closing the barn doors after the horses got out...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Naturally.

It seems to me though that the premise of these actions is the wrong one.

now, don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of yahoos running around toting firearms, but It seems to me that the premise of the whole deal is the assumption of guilt on behalf of the shooter.

There seems to be rather substantial evidence that in the case they used to change the regulations the firearms was an afterthought, a tragic climax, not predictable.

If you carry a weapon normally and join the watch....if you walk home from the corner store and see something suspicious, what do you do? Run home and put your gun away?

It just seems to me a case of closing the barn doors after the horses got out...

The idea of the Neighborhood Watch programs is just that -- WATCH. Observe something suspicious, call the cops, and let them investigate it. The Zimmerman case may have highlighted things -- but he wasn't acting as a member of any organized watch, and his actions were actually inconsistent with the policies of most in following Martin.

Are the new rules and polices a reaction to that incident? Of course. But that's normal; it's like the warning labels on products or many workplace rules and policies. They exist because someone did it... (which is really scary with some of the warning labels...)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sanford's new rules are laid out in a more detailed handbook and will require neighborhood watch groups to undergo training, register members with the police department and regularly update their status with the department, Cordingly said.

Really? Training? Registering with the police department?
Neighborhood watch is about looking out for your neighbors and them looking out for you. Call the police if you see something suspicious. What kind of traing do they do? Talk about making something simple more complicated...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Or they will do what "Bear" Cochran did when someone pulled a knife on him at work. He pulled out his properly licensed pistol and stopped the threat on his life.

He lost his job because he violated company policy but will live to marry his fiancee next month, and see his grandchild born in December. But what a damn shame that he had to lose his job to begin with.

A lawsuit-minimizing policy shared with so many big companies--this is an insurance/lawsuit issue I'm sure. You'd think they could find a way to exempt the sensible--esp. in a high-crime-risk job like that.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sanford's new rules are laid out in a more detailed handbook and will require neighborhood watch groups to undergo training, register members with the police department and regularly update their status with the department, Cordingly said.

Neighborhood watch is about looking out for your neighbors and them looking out for you. Call the police if you see something suspicious. What kind of traing do they do? Talk about making something simple more complicated...

Alot of Neighborhood watch programs actually go out and patrol their neighborhoods. We do citizens police academy every month for people that want to do watch programs. Teaches basic stuff to look out for. Rules on what they cant do and what they shouldnt do. tuff like that

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Organized Neighborhood Watches often are required to register, and the local PD/government place signage up about a Neighborhood Watch program. Different places are more consistent about checking for ongoing activity... The "training" usually consists of an hour or so of how to call 911, and the expectations of the program (how often, patrol in pairs, don't take direct action...). They may hand out reflective vests or magnetic panels for the cars, stuff like that.

Latest Discussions