1964 abduction and killing of three voter-registration volunteers revived

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speaking professionally here (as in professional web-geek), a search on several search engines for each individuals names returned acceptably consistant results. By that, I mean they were all mostly in agreement.

A search on John Doar returns a great deal of sites that are .edu, and .gov. Praise for his work is common, and out of the 50 links I looked through quickly from Google, I didn't see any disagreeing on this persons deserving praise.

A search on Morris Dees however returns numerous sites at very opposite ends of the spectrum. The more mainstream sites sing his praises, while the 'pro-south' sites condemn him. Many of those condemning him appear (from the quick look through Google) to simply be copying the same information, while the mainstream covers a wider timeline and more events/appearences.

About the most credible commentary against Dees that I could find was Pat Buchanan.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=29776

Now, some of the sites that are slamming him are sites that I do consider viable. A good many of the slamming sites however are not on my 'good list'. As the information is consistant, I would take it with a grain of salt. All of the "good" sites are .edus, whereas none of the "bad" sites are for example.

If someone more credible than Pat B, or a more mainstream source is located validating the claims against Dees (for example, criminal stuff should be verifiable), then I would give the negative more weight. Until then, I have to take it with a few (thousand) grains of salt.

G

ghostdog2

What did I miss and when did I miss it? Away for a short while and return to find a thread on 3 slain civil rights workers now arguing over the reliability of web site info on an Alabama lawyer. Okay, okay.
Before I lose sight of it, what does " Gully Foyle " mean?
Sorry, but I'm curious.
Casper the Canine Conundrum

R

rmcrobertson

See Alfred Bester, "The Stars My Destination;" see also his "The Demolished Man," from which the name of the character, Bester (head of the Psi Corps) on "Babylon 5," takes his name.

The issue seemed to be sloppy research. Perhaps, partly mine.

The other issue was the bizarre refusal to draw obvious conclusions from research materials--for example, the conclusion that ideas such as "State's Rights," and a continuing set of fantasies about the Confederacy helped drive these three murders.

Latest Discussions