Trying to find combos for my skill training

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What do you think of these? Do you have others to recommend?
1. Jab (with step), cross (as I turn for the tornado kick), tornado kick
2. Roundhouse kick, side kick

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

How do you do a cross while turning for a tornado kick?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a few question before I give up my secrets.
1. What do you train?
2. What are you using the combos for? Point sparring combos are not the same fighting combos.
3. What's your current skill level or capability.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jab step cross to tornado kick to Roundhouse Kick to side kick ? what are u using that combo for? What Martial Arts you training for? You can try that combo see if it works but if it doesn't you have to think of another combo

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1. Most of the tornado kick is connected after a hammer fist. You punch down, you then borrow the counter force from the ground and jump up.
2. After roundhouse kick, your side kick can come from 2 different legs. That will be 2 different combos. If you change roundhouse kick into foot sweep, that will be 4 different combos.

If you use 10 different punches, jab, cross, hook, uppercut, back fist, spin back fist, hammer fist, cover fist, spiral punch, side punch, you can come up 10 x 10 = 100 different 2 punches combo. After you have eliminated those that don't make sense, you have just created a "complete" set of 2 punches combo for yourself.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Um...what?
The downward punch can help the upward jump.

my-tornado-kick.gif

Example at 0.13.

At 1.09.

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A step with the right leg on the jab. Overhand the right cross. Epic aerial kick finish.

I understand this less than what the OP said. If you step with the right leg, then your jab is right hand jab, and cross is left hand.

If it is a right cross (we'll go with that for now), then you're turning your right shoulder while your right leg is back. In order to do a tornado kick you would need to do one of two things:
  1. Recoil and spin the other way (not "cross as I turn for tornado kick", but rather "cross and then turn the other way into a tornado kick")
  2. Do a 360 step starting with the right leg (not "cross as I turn for tornado kick", but rather "cross and then turn into a tornado kick").
The timing doesn't line up in what OP said. You added the additional confusion of the hands and feet not lining up.

The downward punch can help the upward jump.

my-tornado-kick.gif

Example at 0.13.

At 1.09.

I tried it, that made it harder. You want your hands tucked in for spinning, not moving out to the sides. You're creating a longer lever arm that way.

Regardless, you said "Most of the tornado kick is connected after a hammer fist." In my experience, tornado kicks usually follow another turning kick, such as a roundhouse kick (again to get the spin). Height isn't the important thing here. Even if it was, there are plenty of other motions you can do to lower your hands to prepare for a high jump other than a hammerfist.

Tornado after jab (or hammer fist) will make more sense.

Example at 0.44.

That's the opposite of what OP said, hence my point.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I understand this less than what the OP said. If you step with the right leg, then your jab is right hand jab, and cross is left hand.

If it is a right cross (we'll go with that for now), then you're turning your right shoulder while your right leg is back. In order to do a tornado kick you would need to do one of two things:
  1. Recoil and spin the other way (not "cross as I turn for tornado kick", but rather "cross and then turn the other way into a tornado kick")
  2. Do a 360 step starting with the right leg (not "cross as I turn for tornado kick", but rather "cross and then turn into a tornado kick").
The timing doesn't line up in what OP said. You added the additional confusion of the hands and feet not lining up.

I tried it, that made it harder. You want your hands tucked in for spinning, not moving out to the sides. You're creating a longer lever arm that way.

Regardless, you said "Most of the tornado kick is connected after a hammer fist." In my experience, tornado kicks usually follow another turning kick, such as a roundhouse kick (again to get the spin). Height isn't the important thing here. Even if it was, there are plenty of other motions you can do to lower your hands to prepare for a high jump other than a hammerfist.

That's the opposite of what OP said, hence my point.

It kind of works the way I described it. I just can't do tornado kicks

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you want to do a right jump kick, you have to shift your weight on your right foot. The tornado kick is no difference from the jump kick.

If you do a right tornado kick, all of your weight is on your right foot because your left leg is off the ground.

It kind of works the way I described it. I just can't do tornado kicks

It "kind of works" and you can't do them? Really? So how do you know it "kind of" works? If it only "kind of works" the way you describe, why not describe it a way that "works" instead of "kind of works"?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the confusion is imagining a tornado kick exactly like this one.

If you do this kick, the cross is turning you in the opposite direction, kind of like a cork winding up for the tornado kick. But you can instead step through with the cross (I wouldn't still call it a cross but some do), and throw a tornado ick from the opposite side, almost as if you're throwing it off a jab from your rear (now forward) hand.

Edited for formatting.

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the confusion is imagining a tornado kick exactly like this one.
If you do this kick, the cross is turning you in the opposite direction, kind of like a cork winding up for the tornado kick. But you can instead step through with the cross (I wouldn't still call it a cross but some do), and throw a tornado ick from the opposite side, almost as if you're throwing it off a jab from your rear (now forward) hand.

If you step through, it's not a cross anymore. A southpaw boxer does a cross with their left hand. If you step through, you are now southpaw, and that is a jab. Or, if done at the same time, it's a lunge punch.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you do a right tornado kick, all of your weight is on your right foot because your left leg is off the ground.

It "kind of works" and you can't do them? Really? So how do you know it "kind of" works? If it only "kind of works" the way you describe, why not describe it a way that "works" instead of "kind of works"?

I can set it up and throw a mankey tornado kick in that manner In to free space. Which is not the fault of the combo. I do a Mankey tornado kick anyway.

Let's put it this way. It isn't great but it it is less ridiculous than say a standing arm bar.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can set it up and throw a mankey tornado kick in that manner In to free space. Which is not the fault of the combo. I do a Mankey tornado kick anyway.

Let's put it this way. It isn't great but it it is less ridiculous than say a standing arm bar.

Oh, yes. Let's derail a topic where you're talking about one technique you don't understand with another technique you don't understand. Remember what I said last time? I'll paraphrase: you bring up this technique as an insult to me, but all I see is inability to comprehend something that is considered basic in my class. So, yes, bring it up. Remind me just how little you understand.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, yes. Let's derail a topic where you're talking about one technique you don't understand with another technique you don't understand. Remember what I said last time? I'll paraphrase: you bring up this technique as an insult to me, but all I see is inability to comprehend something that is considered basic in my class. So, yes, bring it up. Remind me just how little you understand.

So you are now the expert on tornado kicks without a shred of evidence.

Look it doesn't matter if I can do a great tornado kick or not provided I can basically approximate the kick well enough and set up the combo that it could be done.

Which I had a play with and yes it can.

I will do a video some point.

And I comprehend the standing arm bar idea fine. You do the technique on a guy who falls over for you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Look it doesn't matter if I can do a great tornado kick or not provided I can basically approximate the kick well enough and set up the combo that it could be done.

Which I had a play with and yes it can.

I will do a video some point.

And I comprehend the standing arm bar idea fine. You do the technique on a guy who falls over for you.
Best sitting in a chair defense ever. I had the sound off when I watched the video. I really hope they were clowning around.lol

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I can find a bad video of any technique. Does that mean all techniques are bad? (Hint: it doesn't).

You don't know how to make it work. Therefore, you don't comprehend it. You don't understand the differences between MMA and a real fight. You actively refuse to. Your ignorance is intentional.

1. I never said I was the expert. You are putting words in my mouth.
  2. I am a high rank in a martial art that focuses on kicks. If I'm not an expert in them, then I'm doing something wrong. So now I am claiming to be an expert. I am certified as a 3rd Dan in Taekwondo. If I don't know how to do a tornado kick, something is wrong.
  3. You specifically claimed you don't know how to do it well. You specifically said it "kind of works" the way you describe. You described your own information as useless. This goes back to what I said above. Your ignorance is intentional.
You provide video of some random person that has nothing to do with me and claim it as evidence I am bad. Where is your video evidence claiming that you know what you're talking about? Where is your video evidence showing yourself doing this combo to prove that it can work? You demand everyone else show a video of it working? So where's your video of using this combo with the tornado kick?

And please, based on your standards from previous threads, make sure you post a video of it working in a professional MMA fight. Because anything less than that proves nothing (according to you).

Latest Discussions