"Tried" to do Obo Kick last night - ha ha ha

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Last night, in Tang Soo Do, we were working on a Brazilian Capoeira kick called the obo (sp?) kick.

One places their hand on the floor next to oneself and kicks up with the outer leg. The leg closest to the hand then comes up and the legs cross like an "L" in the air. It's kind of like a one-armed handstand.

I can't even get my feet off the ground! I also have to bend my leg next to my hand.

I found a video of what the kick looks like so you can see it. A few seconds into the video, you'll see the kick. The guy follows through with a cartwheel. We didn't. We were trying to kick up and then come back down.

Anyone here do the kick?

Awesome video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5805863268470609975&q=&hl=en

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity why are you implementing Capoeira kicks in Tang Soo Do ? Just my opinion but Capoeria is alot of flash , and wasted energy when other kicks could be used in their place that are less risky and far more effective.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity why are you implementing Capoeira kicks in Tang Soo Do ? Just my opinion but Capoeria is alot of flash , and wasted energy when other kicks could be used in their place that are less risky and far more effective.
It was part of black belt club. During black belt club, we work on black belt stuff but also (sometimes) incorporate moves from other arts. I doubt the obo kick would be legal in a TSD tournament!

It takes a lot of coordination and control to do the obo kick. That's probably the main reason we worked on it a bit last night.

Latest Discussions