Training while wearing normal street clothes?

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have recently added a new kind training regiment for some of my students.

Once a week I have them come in wearing what ever it is they would normally wear on any given day.

For instance, if you wear jeans at work, then that's what you will be doing you’re training in, in your jeans.

My purpose in doing this is so that my students can get familiar with there bodies movements and limitations when restricted by there clothing. As most of us know, training with a martial arts uniform, allows you to move at ease, jeans or high heels would not give you the same amount of freedom in movement. You will have to learn to adapt.

What do you guys think of this idea?

(Although I'm sure some of you guys have already been doing or have done this before)

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it's an excellent idea. While we don't do it in the studio where I train I make sure that I wear "street" clothes during my personal training time.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
I think it's an excellent idea. While we don't do it in the studio where I train I make sure that I wear "street" clothes during my personal training time.
Me too, you can notice the difference huh?

I also spar wearing "street clothes".

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree it is a good idea. Part of wearing the uniform in the dojo is a sign of respect for the school/instructor, it also gives a comfortable means to learn and have little or no restrictive movement so to better understand the techs one is studying at the time.
On personal time regular clothes should be used to better understand the (aforementioned) limitations that street clothes would have.

I recall seeing an ad in an O-L-D Black Belt Magazine issue of a pair of jeans that had extra material in the crotch to kick better with. I can't recall if it was Superfoot Wallace or Chuck Norris advertising them. But I think one should learn how to fight in anything, no matter what you're wearing.

An Eternal Student

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Seems like a good idea.I do a lot of sparring training outside the dojo with my friends, and we just wear our normal clothes.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I definately agree with it.

If I do a self-defense course, towards the end I always have them wear street clothes.
In the beginning, they learn the mechanics of techniques, then they can have a chance to adapt them to street clothes.
Not everyone waers sweats or gi's to work
icon12.gif

As for the "kicking jeans"....
I actually bought a pair of the chuck norris ones......................ack
icon11.gif

god...was I ever so young......

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea. We do it every so often however without the shoes so we do not destroy the floor.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think its an excellent thing to do!!! Even if not training outside, the fact that you're exposing the students in the dojo to it, will be a huge benefit to them. Throwing kicks, punches, or basically any movement at all, will be different when wearing a winter coat, a suit and tie or high heels.

During my outdoor sessions, I'm always in jeans and sneakers.

Mike

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is an excellent idea. Whenever I do my out-of-class sparring sessions (1-2 times/week), the group I train with always just spars in whatever we've been wearing all day. Personally speaking, when I buy jeans and shoes, I always make sure that they afford me the full range of motion that I need for martial arts (yes, I practice high kicking in the dressing room). Despite this, though, its was really an eye-opening experience for me, since despite all the preparation I made, gis will always be lighter and more flexible than normal clothes, which is something we just have to learn to deal with.

Wearing constricting clothes, like a suit, sounds intriguing... I might have to try that sometime.

An Eternal Student

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Eldritch Knight said:
Wearing constricting clothes, like a suit, sounds intriguing... I might have to try that sometime.

Its kinda uncomfortable.You can still move your upper body well enough, but kicking gets difficult.For seem reason that seems to be more because of the shoes than anything else.Im talking about formal lets-torture-our-feet-to-look-good shoes here.I imagine it would be pretty difficult for a girl in high heels as well.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to throw in my .02 here by saying that my training now has a large say in my apparrell choices. I mostly wear clothes I can move around in easily, but of course I'm a stay-at-home mom and can run around in sweats if I want to. But even in professional attire, I prefer lower heels that are rubberized. A far cry from the 4" stillettos I once wore, but I can run and do things in the lower heels I'd never be able to in the heels.

Being female, this is a challenge, since skirts and dresses are the expected norm, so when one is of this gender, one must be able to cover one's buttocks, so to speak, should the need arise to hike up the skirt to kick or run or jump.

I found it harder to train with shoes than without them.

I have heard of some people who break down the back of their shoes and toughen their feet so that they can wear their shoes in a slipper-like fashion, then quicly slide out of them should the need arise to engage their martial defenses.

FWIW

An Eternal Student

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What is evryones normal clothes anyway?Im a college student so Im dressed in comfy combats and other loose clothes.So Im nice and mobile.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
An Eternal Student said:
Its kinda uncomfortable.You can still move your upper body well enough, but kicking gets difficult.For seem reason that seems to be more because of the shoes than anything else.Im talking about formal lets-torture-our-feet-to-look-good shoes here.I imagine it would be pretty difficult for a girl in high heels as well.
Yes, yes, yes!!!

Those shoes, man, walking is a challenge, hehehe

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was working, I used to wear clunky heel shoes, real practical. Real effective when I needed it and I had no martial arts training then.

We only train in uniform, but go over to the park in the summer. It was 10° in Minnesota this morning, not conducive to warming up before kicking unless we do a run with a mask over our face. And we old folks do have to warm up if its for training. For emergency self-defense, it would be wise to wear clothes that you can actually fight in. Short skirts just attract that kind of problem. TW

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
it would be wise to wear clothes that you can actually fight in. Short skirts just attract that kind of problem. TW
Yes I agree, one should wear clothes that they can fight in.

But sometimes, we my not always have that choice.

I am thinking of having my students come in wearing suits, nightgowns, thick jackets, etc... once in awhile

But normally, I have them wear, their everyday street clothes.

Again, this is once a week and I encourage them to practice in street clothes at home.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
For emergency self-defense, it would be wise to wear clothes that you can actually fight in. Short skirts just attract that kind of problem. TW
Agreed - that was my point, too, that it is important to choose your attire wisely. Although, one must dress properly for the opera ... how many ladies can run 1 mile in heels?

For business, I prefer to wear stretchy skirts and tights so that if I must, I can hike up the skirt for running and maintain modesty and leg warmth. If I can't raise my arms without ripping the fabric of the blouse, I don't wear it. Might not be the sexiest apparrell, but I don't really care.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
My heels days are far and few between--I think TKD ruined my feet for that. Right now I like those slider shoes. But sliding out of those on icy, snowy streets even in socks...boots, with heels would be good though.

And I don't think we will get any of our business guys who wear suits, change to doboks usually, to go workout in them. TW

P

Peter Steeves

When I first moved back to the USA, I taught outside, so we always wore normal clothes (though ugly, so they could be ripped up - which happened plenty).

Now I have an indoor school. When new people come in, they learn in their normal clothes the first few times. I tell them that they should really consider wearing a "gi" because then they'll have clothes for training that won't get ruined even if we pull on them pretty strongly (which we sure do enjoy).

They get the idea. Everybody trains in uniforms. When we train outside though, it's back to the street clothes.

And, yes, I get some funny looks for "testing" new clothes before I buy them.

Latest Discussions