Training Partner problems...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
Several years ago, I had a student.uje that used to do exactly what you were saying. I was a 2nd Black at the time and he was just a dumb purple belt. He decided that since I was a black belt, I should be able to make the technique work with no help from him. He also felt that my shots would have no real effect on him. I tried everything, talking to him, counseling him, extra attention, none of it worked. In the end, I finally had to tell him, either react propelry, or I am going to execute the technique on you. His response, "You're already doing that and it doesn't work." I executed the techniques on him for real. I wound up hurting him, not badly, but enough for him to realize that just because I am going soft with him doesn't mean it isn't real enough. He wound up, after he healed, being an excellent partner and a good martial artist.
I know what you are saying. Some people won't respect you until you have smacked them. I firmly beleive violence can, in general, be avoided; however this phenominon does exist, and the change can be so radical that one might wonder how many people you can... err... help with this... err... therapy. ;)
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mark L

Having said all that, I often ask my partners to make it difficult. How else will you know what does and doesn't work? However, I only ask this after I've learned the mechanics of the technique.
This defiance that you mention should allow you to go outside the ideal. The test he mentioned did not call for this; however, I supose he should be tested on that as well. The bottom line is that as a body, he has a lot of resonsibility. He has to punch and kick at you properly and realisticly( in some schools these are not the same thing:shrug: ), and as I have mentioned in another thread he has to die properly and or introduce resistance at the proper times. If you take any given tech and introduce resistance for each beat at different times, you could train one tech only for years. Ain't it grand? :)
Sean