Training on school's off days.

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I attend my school 3 days a week, lift weights on another 2 days of the week, and jog on the remained 2 days.

I don’t feel any lack of motivation when I lift weights or jog on the school's off days.
The problem starts when I'm trying to have a technique workout instead of one of the jogging workouts, I just can't keep it going for more than 10-15 minutes.

I find it really frustrating since at school I train really hard with an enormous desire, but at home I just get this block at my brain which prevents me from keep it lasting for 30-45 minutes.

Any advices for solo training?

Thanks guys.

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know what you mean, I do the same thing... When I am able to make it last longer though, it's because I tell myself "You CAN'T stop!" Somehow you have to convince yourself that stopping is not an option. I also try to mimic the routine from class. (stretch, stances, punches, kicks, forms) That'll help you get into the mindset for training.

PS: Blasting 80's Rock helps a ton too :)

OP
A

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thats a great idea (following the class routine), thanks!

How do you practice kicks on air?
Isn't your body twisting since there's nothing to pull you back to position?

I was trying to practice the combination: low kick, jab, cross, middle kick.
The problem is that during the low kick, my body twists since there isn’t something to use back to get into fight stance.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One must re-evaluate one's goals...especially at home training..

Lots of us lose the drive when we have NO one to encourage us on..too!

Read and watch MA videos...Write your goals and monitor it in writing it down...as you do them...this will help you remembering to keep going..

Easy to relax and do nothing....

Successful people become successful because they are willing to do things most people will NOT do...

Hard training by oneself is not easy...most people will quit or not do it...

Become a Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, or still learning? ...OK ..not a still learning ,... Jet Li, Rambo..etc ...have a mentor!

Aloha,

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Try to find a partner to train with. I agree it is hard to train alone on certain things. Still other things are easy to train alone on. For the things that are challenging I would try to find a partner.

The good thing about me is that I have my kids to train with. So while I am teaching them I am also training with them. Not all the time though as they have way more endurance and stamina than me.

Someone also said try an pick out a class routine that is good and follow that. It is good advice. Many time I just do the basics kicks and punches then go into poomsae. I will do all of my poomsaes 3 times each. You would be amazed at the workout you get from just poomsae alone, if you do them with power.

Good luck.

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
I second ATC, +1. I simply won't train on my own, because I know I need structure. Instead of judging myself for how much I suck because of that limitation, I simply factor it into my training. If I want to train more than 3X a week I meet a partner at the dojo. I try to work with people who are more advanced than I am so I can learn more, but even working with white belts improves my understanding of the basics.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If you were to follow the lives of the" Best people" in there fields? ...You will find they train alot by themselves and have tremendous forcus on there goals...

...and see themselves winning everytime....! Study this further...

Aloha, ...still trying to catch the big one (100+ lb Ulua)..fishing from shore...

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
I second ATC, +1. I simply won't train on my own, because I know I need structure. Instead of judging myself for how much I suck because of that limitation, I simply factor it into my training. If I want to train more than 3X a week I meet a partner at the dojo. I try to work with people who are more advanced than I am so I can learn more, but even working with white belts improves my understanding of the basics.

this is awesome advice for everyone! thanx Jen!

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a list of all techniques, all curriculum combinations, and all self defense techniques. By using the list (instead of just pulling the stuff out of memory), I'm able to keep going and not run out of steam, because I can see a definite beginning, middle, and end to the workout.

OP
A

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys.

You're right, training with a partner is the best way to do it and keep the drive going.

Anyways, I followed Stacey's advice and wrote down on a paper a list of techniques that I practiced at the gym and also that i read on the forums and it really helped me keep the workout going.

I trained today 40 minutes and I'm very pleased with it, hopefully I could do the same thing tomorrow.

I also found it helpful to do some sit-ups and push-ups breaks between techniques for diversity.

Latest Discussions