How can I train for 6 hours daily?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Whoa! I meant an aberration (out of the ordinary) in the best way, as a humorous compliment.

Since you asked, I started karate in 1966, two hours twice a week. 1968, three times a week. By 1972, four to six hours per day, five or six times a week. I literally lived in a dojo for a year. The 70's were the good old days. Early 1980's, learned the foil from a former Olympic fencing coach (private lessons.) Mid 80's-mid 90's took off and worked out only sporadically as I was running a business and raising a family. Mid 1990's - spent almost 3 years, four hours per wk learning iaido (a few months out due to injury). All of my instructors were top quality and very well known. Late 90's, 4 hours karate per week.

A decade off with occasional karate self-workouts. Last two years, I have been training 6-8 hours per week under a high ranking sensei who spent several years in Okinawa, studying directly under 9th and 10th degrees. I have been very fortunate to train with the best over these many years. These times do not count my gym hours over the decades, nor hours spent reading on the subject of martial arts. Just recently I've taken on two black belts and two beginners as students, so am still very actively training and teaching.

You should know, Buka, from past posts, the range and depth of my experience, and that I do not BS, and am accurate in what I put out. I was surprised by your challenge. Martial arts has been a lifelong study and lifestyle for me for over 50 years. I geared my post, not to young stud pros like you once were, but, as I said in my post, to the vast majority of those training or thinking about starting - not the elite. If you're not that 1% dedicated, professional stud, taking on an 8 hr per day regimen can do more harm than good. If you are that 1%, great. I never said 8 hours/day couldn't be done. Just that caution must be used and the attempt not taken lightly. After all, not everyone can be a Buka.

Oh boy we've gotten to the stage where people are whipping them out and comparing lengths.

Come on boys do we really need to go down the road of "I've done this, trained with them, trained for this long"

You guys are better than that

My heart felt apologies, gentlemen.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really. I know plenty of people who've trained for a long time but they're still poor at what they do. Just feels like a lot of chest puffing which isn't needed. If I disagree with someone I won't suddenly agree with it because they have 100 years of experience
So...are you saying that context does not matter? Does one’s training history not add context? Nobody said anything about anyone being the final authority on anything. It’s just context, which does add meaning.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know plenty of people who've trained for a long time but they're still poor at what they do.
The only way I see this as being true is that the quality of the training was horrible or the person training didn't really have the drive for it. I say this because if he or she still sucks after training for a long time, then they will most surely suck only training 1 hour a day. I also know and have seen people with more training in Kung Fu than I have and they suck, like really bad. But my training is not the same as theirs. Where I place great pride in learning and knowing how to apply kung fu techniques, they do now. All they saw was "copy movement." There training most likely only consisted of the class. Mine consists of analysis, trial and error learning, sparring against different systems, and if I had free time in my thoughts then I was most likely running application scenarios that I could try in the next sparring sessions.

By default, honest practice with quality practice will make you better the longer you do it. If a person doesn't get better after years of training, then that person either had poor quality training or just didn't have their heart in it.

Sometimes we think we are doing the right training for the goal that we want to accomplish. But a lot of times, we aren't, which is where quality coaches and training comes in. After that, we have to put in the heart and desire to want to get better.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really. I know plenty of people who've trained for a long time but they're still poor at what they do. Just feels like a lot of chest puffing which isn't needed. If I disagree with someone I won't suddenly agree with it because they have 100 years of experience
I suppose we have all seen the people at the gym who do 1-2 sets then preen in the mirror and talk for the remaining 45 minutes of their hour workout. Or the folks at MA class who are there for reasons other than being a 'killing machine'. I used to take issue with both but I guess I have mellowed enough that the latter are just another body in a class and I don't really pay them much attention.
I will help them any way I can but I prefer not to spar or hard drill with them.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh boy we've gotten to the stage where people are whipping them out and comparing lengths.
Are we discussing bo (staffs) again? I thought that was in another thread.

PS - No need for spectator involvement. The principals are capable of handling their own business

Last edited:

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My heart felt apologies, gentlemen.
Flying Crane is right. No need for apologies. A slightly too hard hit in a "kiss contact" forum and an appropriate response. No harm done. Just a brief kumite exchange between two spirited vets. Life continues.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose we have all seen the people at the gym who do 1-2 sets then preen in the mirror and talk for the remaining 45 minutes of their hour workout. Or the folks at MA class who are there for reasons other than being a 'killing machine'. I used to take issue with both but I guess I have mellowed enough that the latter are just another body in a class and I don't really pay them much attention.
I will help them any way I can but I prefer not to spar or hard drill with them.
I've yet to see people at the gym preening in the mirror or talking for 45 minutes of their workout. I think it's because I'm not spending my workout time looking at everyone else when I'm working out ;)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've yet to see people at the gym preening in the mirror or talking for 45 minutes of their workout. I think it's because I'm not spending my workout time looking at everyone else when I'm working out ;)
You know, that guy who is standing in front of the same mirror, doing the same thing when you circuit back around 15 minutes later, then another 15 minutes later, etc....

Gangster D

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I love martial arts and it's what I want to do. I wish to own a dojo when I'm older. Before quarantine everything was great. I would wake up, and go for a 30 minute jog, then jog back to the gym. I would then train for an hour or so (weight work) and come back home. When I arrived in college, I would usually do a workout at the college as well. I would come back home and be greeted by either a lot of studying, or 2 hours of taekwondo (twice a week) or an hour of boxing (once per week, not the best but the best I could get).

Since quarantine hit, I've wanted to be able to train like professionals in MMA or boxing do. They train constantly and I love that, but I simply don't know what to train. I also seem to have lost motivation even though the dream is still there. I feel like this is not just me unsure of what to train, but also me lacking the motivation or effort.
How do I get out of this>? How can I extend my training time?
Friend everything will be fine soon don't worry about it. But in the meantime, you can do these workouts as well. I saw this information and I liked it very much. The success in any startup depends on the fact how thoroughly we think over our every step and the solution of problems, which we will inevitably face on our way. There are some people that launch their business and solve some or other problems as they go but as rule such problems are prolonged in time and bring no desired effect. The same rules are good for box.
So, let’s start.
At first the mental training will be much harder than any actual training at gym. But the effect from ten such exercises for many people will be better that one hundred exercises at gym. Let’s start from sparing with one left arm. Your competitor also uses one arm. Start the sparing from your comfortable speed but try in more details to imagine the body position: yours and your competitor’s, create the difficulties for yourself through misses in sparing or missed punches. Try to react to misses as in actual sparing. The effect of this exercise depends of actual insight into sparing; you are to feel the pain and tiredness.
As soon as you can spend the sparing for more than three minutes, start turning on the timer per three minutes and, while having a sparing, try to drill a time sense all at once. You’ve already understood how your exercises used to be incomplete without this work, haven’t you? So, we go on and now it’s high time to join the second arm. Change the sparing plan more often; do not do the same things. Change the style of your competitors and change your style, you may have one round as Michael Tyson, and then as Floyd Mayweather and so on. Your main task is to increase the sparing time, sparing speed and hereby to have time to watch for logic and right succession in movement of your body and competitor. The brain knows your abilities and your sparing style, thus, you need to train it to exceed the limits of your abilities. After mental exercises you’ll feel as a more experienced boxer in actual sparing.