build a better me

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yo.

I'm trying to get into better shape, and since I'm not huge into lifting weights or lots of running, I thought I would start off with some push ups, pull ups, light jogging, and sit ups.

For anyone who knows, If I wanted to build stronger muscles through push ups and pull ups, how many do you think I should do? How long should I rest in between reps? Do I do them every day, more than once a day, every other day?

Jogging I heard is good if you go for about 20 minutes every other day. Have I heard right?

While I'm slightly overweight, my health is not in any actual danger. I'm just trying to build a more effective and healthier me, so any advice you can give is helpful even if it seems like common sense to you, it might be new to me.

I look forward to your replies.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I look forward to your replies.

I'm not an expert. However, a lot depends on what you're after - strength, weight loss, or cardiovascular fitness. They can all three be different goals, or they can be combined.

For CV fitness, get your heart rate up to 150% of your normal resting pulse for a minimum of 30 minutes, for a minimum of three times per week. You have to increase your level of exercise as you gain fitness, as your heart rate will decrease. When you can perform strenuous exercise for 30 straight minutes and your heart rate and breathing return to normal resting rate within one minute, you are CV fit.

Strength training involves tearing down muscle tissue, which requires the body to begin adding muscle during the rebuild process. Exercise to failure for fastest results.

Weight loss happens when you eat less and exercise more. So CV will help, and so will strength training when you begin to see results, because muscle requires more metabolic energy than fat per pound. However, you can be very strong and very out of shape, and also very strong and very fat, so choose wisely.

I suggest getting a medical checkup before beginning any exercise regimen. You never know what might lurk below the surface.

And as a final thought, the government provides a free service for this type of activity - military service. They'll even pay you to get in shape. Such a deal, you never had.

Good luck!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yo.

I would start off with some push ups, pull ups, light jogging, and sit ups.

If I wanted to build stronger muscles through push ups and pull ups,

how many do you think I should do?

How long should I rest in between reps?

Do I do them every day, more than once a day, every other day?

Jogging I heard is good if you go for about 20 minutes every other day. Have I heard right?

While I'm slightly overweight, my health is not in any actual danger. I'm just trying to build a more effective and healthier me.

What type pf "stronger" muscles are you wanting? Do you want them for doing a bunch of pushups and pullups? Or do you want to be strong in other venues?

The number of reps and sets depends on how fast you recover and the type of pushup/pullup you are doing(there are a number of different options on both).

As for how often, you need to give your body time to recover. In recovery is when you build strength and muscle.

Running is a beast of its own and you will here a thousand different opinions on how it should be done. No matter how long you go for, you need to be doing interval training. It will help you the best.

Why is it you don't want to lift weights? I am curious if it is from someone telling you all of the mis-information that is out there, like it making you slower or bulking you up.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Figure out what your goals are. Then look up from there. if you are just looking to do basic excercises without weights at the gym, then google 100 pushups and 200 situps programs. Those work pretty good. Me personally I am trying to work on my cardio which is the hardest for me. I smoked for 15 years ( 1-2 packs a day) and even after quitting 10 months ago I still have trouble breathing at times.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Start off with this and then go from there. If this won't help you get in shape, then there may not be anything that will.
RUNNING SCHEDULE I
WEEKS #1, 2: 2 miles/day, 8:30 pace, M/W/F (6 miles/week)
WEEK #3: No running. High risk of stress fractures.
WEEK #4: 3 miles/day, M/W/F (9 miles/wk)
WEEKS #5, 6: 2/3/4/2 miles, M/Tu/Th/F (11 miles/wk)
WEEKS #7, 8: 3/4/5/2 miles, M/Tu/Th/F (16 miles/wk)
WEEK #9: same as #7, 8 (16 miles/wk)
PHYSICAL TRAINING SCHEDULE I
(Mon/Wed/Fri)
SETS OF REPETITIONS SETS OF REPETITIONS
WEEK #1: 4 X15 PUSHUPS WEEKS #5& 6: 6 X 25 PUSHUPS
4 X 20 SITUPS 6 X 25 SITUPS
3 X 3 PULLUPS 2 X 8 PULLUPS
WEEK #2: 5 X 20 PUSHUPS WEEKS #7&8: 6 X 30 PUSHUPS
5 X 20 SITUPS 6 X 30 SITUPS
3 X 3 PULLUPS 2 X 10 PULLUPS
WEEK #3,&4: 5 X 25 PUSHUPS WEEK #9: 6 X 30 PUSHUPS
5 X 25 SITUPS 6 X 30 SITUPS
3 X 4 PULLUPS 3 X 10 PULLUPS
* Note: For best results, alternate exercises. Do a set of pushups, then a set of situps, followed by a set of pullups, immediately with no rest.
SWIMMING SCHEDULE I
(sidestroke with no fins 4-5 days a week)
WEEKS #1, 2: Swim continuously for 15 min.
WEEKS #3, 4: Swim continuously for 20 min.
WEEKS #5, 6: Swim continuously for 25 min.
WEEKS #7, 8: Swim continuously for 30 min.
WEEK #9: Swim continuously for 35 min.
* Note: If you have access to a pool, swim every day available. Four to five days a week and 200 meters in one session is your initial workup goal. Also, you want to develop your sidestroke on both the left and the right side. Try to swim 50 meters in one minute or less.

From here: http://www.navysealteams.com/warning.htm

OP
Aiki Lee

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys.

The reason I'm not into weightlifting is because I don't really have the money to buy weights or get a gym membership. Plus I like to exercise outside.

I'm just interested in slimming down a little and being able to lift my bodyweight (through pull ups) in case there is ever a time where I'm stuck in a hole or whatever and I need to pull myself out. There is a tree in my yeard that I am hoping to climb, but I'm not strong enough to lift myself into it yet. So far I can only really hang there like a monkey.

I'll be seening a doctor soon to see what he has to say about my fitness goals.

One other thing, when doing strength training do you it all in one sitting or do you spread it out among the day?

Latest Discussions